• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think I may have an oddball turbo...

fabiodriven

So I'm looking to get the "Whistle" from my deuce. I thought I had a D turbo because my deuce doesn't whistle. So I order what was supposed to be a C turbo, it shows up, I put it on, no whistle... Now I have the two side by side on the ground comparing them and one appears to be a C and the other appears to be a D, but neither whistle. I came inside to look at some pics in here and find out what I have and here's what I gathered-

The C turbo has a band connecting the exhaust housing to the turbo, the D is bolted.

The C turbo has the snail shaped exhaust turbine, the D is fatter.

I have one turbo with an exhaust housing connected with bolts, one with a band clamp. Assuming the one with the band clamp is a C, why doesn't it whistle?

Another thing I have noticed looking at pictures- My so called C turbo has a compressor housing that I haven't seen in any of the pictures camparing C's and D's. It is much fatter than any of the pictures I have seen. So it has the C exhaust housing with what I will call a "mystery" compressor housing. Any ideas what this turbo might be? I will have pics up at some point, camera isn't home right now.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Yah, there are some good searches on the LDS motor. Seems to have a higher HP rating but does use up more fuel than a LDT engine. From a HP standpoint, I think the LDS is more desirable:wink: I checked out and LDS turbo'd engine 2 weeks ago and it did have a faint whistler sound to it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a D turbo on my LDS and it has a slight whistle to it too. I will be putting an LDS turbo on my wrecker this summer, Will let you know the difference once thats done.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LDS in a Deuce = Good. Turbo can be changed. There are a few of us here that have LDS's in our Deuces. I think you hit the Multifuel jackpot.

My truck below has rings on the bed as it was a shelter carrying truck. It also has a box seat, which I like.

Speedo on this truck shows 280 miles and about 40 hours. It has a newly rebuilt LDS.

Was purchased from GL with the LDS. Didn't know it was there until after win..

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

HAHA! I have an LDS in my latest deuce and in the wrecker. The non-turbo M109 is now horribly underpowered! glad I have an LDS in the can waiting to go into it too.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LDS does not make the "whistle" that the "whistler" turbo truck is known for. You can hear those coming from blocks away. At idle the LDS turbocharger is quiet. It starts to scream when the engine is loaded and boost is produced. The sound is more like a jet engine.

fabiodriven

LDS does not make the "whistle" that the "whistler" turbo truck is known for. You can hear those coming from blocks away. At idle the LDS turbocharger is quiet. It starts to scream when the engine is loaded and boost is produced. The sound is more like a jet engine.
That is also correct, it's like a jet engine or a more modern turbo-diesel. I want the "blocks away" sound from the C turbo. I wonder if anybody knows if I put the C turbo on the LDS if it will have that loud whine. I would imagine it would.

gimpyrobb

About 50 more hp. I have heard that only they have piston skirt oil jet coolers, but also heard ldts do too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks