• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Important Fuel Injection Pump question, please help

galeo7171

I found the leak in my 86 M1009. I traced it up to the injection pump. I took the breather off and noticed fuel leaking from the driver's side of the pump. It looks to be leaking where the throttle cable attaches ( I don't know what the exact part is called). Heres a pic, the leak is coming from somewhere inside the red circle. What do I need to do to fix it. It doesn't leak when the truck is running, only when you shut the truck off.

Attachments

CCATLETT1984

That shaft does have a seal on it, i dont know if its replaceable in the truck though.

Your best bet is to call a local truck service shop and ask who they send turbo's and IP's to for rebuild. Call that shop and ask a Tech. Our IP's ( DB2) are very common.

ssgtwright-usmc

And where about is this timing mark supposedly located on the IP and to the engine block.
I read about having the timing marks aligned but I must be blind because I dont see nothing for a mark.

CCATLETT1984

The leak will only get worse over time, but its not likely to fail overnight.

I'd call around on monday and see what you can find out. That way you aren't waiting till the truck is down to figure out what you must do.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Important Fuel Injection Pump question, please help

ssgtwright-usmc said:
And where about is this timing mark supposedly located on the IP and to the engine block.
I read about having the timing marks aligned but I must be blind because I dont see nothing for a mark.
There is a thin line scratched into the base of the IP where its bolted to the block, and a mark on the plate its bolted to. DONT CHANGE YOUR TIMING, you have enough issues with that truck.

beaubeau

RE: Re: RE: Important Fuel Injection Pump question, please h

Timing of a 6.2 is critical. Don't touch unless needed. Some of these engines sound like they are out of time, but that's the way they are? Semper Fi S/SGT Wright USMC 1967-1971 3531

ssgtwright-usmc

Big time issues. Sometimes I do beleive the ex when she said she put something bad into my tank.

Westech

CPL

CC is right, sugar, salt, KY jelly wont mix in with the fuel it will just clog up the filter. And take it from a Master ASE tech, if you dont know 100% what your doing with that 6.2 dont mess with it, dont change the fuel, dont mess the timing, your just going to make it blow up. The 6.2 is really a strong engine (not in the power department) and will take high RPM's all day but mess up the fuel or timing and its going to light up in a not so good way.

ssgtwright-usmc

Changed the filter out about 4 months ago, guess I will go ahead and change it out again today and see what effects that have.
Ill keep you all posted after the filter change.

ssgtwright-usmc

Changed out the filter and now she drives again like it did when I first got her.
Thank God it wasnt a tranny problem but I did change out all of the vacuum hoses, modulator, governor, fluid and filter to the tranny lasy week but to no avail.
I do not know why my filter would be clogged after 4 months of the last filter change.
Do you all suspect that their is some crud in the tank.
I dont drive the truck more the maybe a 100 miles a week.
Plan on changing out the fuel sender soon as soon as I can get a extra pair of hands to help out.
1600 miles in 4 months and a clogged filter doesn't seem right.
Truck has 72,000 miles on it allready.
Guess the ex or someone close to her did put something inside the tank.

dependable

Last time I checked, Memphis Equipment had some rebuilts. They were kind of expensive, but likely to be mil spec. Most auto parts stores can get you a rebuilt pump. It is hard to be sure you are getting the heavy duty unless your parts guy is good. My understanding is that there are two pumps out there, they look the same, and one has higher output. Old NOS may be a problem, as the seals, 20 years old, may be bad. Good luck.

maritimer

on the replacment injection pump, up here in canaduh its actully $1000 cheaper for me to send mine up the line fora rebuild at the stanadyne autherized shop. NAPA wants $1,541.00+13%taxes. the rebuild quoted $500 +taxes for a rebuild to either j code specs or 6.5 specs.
as to the timeing unless you have an intimate knowladdge of diesel engines spend the $40 to have a shop time it if you think your out. if you still want to tinker with the timing shoot me a pm and i can sen you some pics and info of the timing marks where they are and what direction to turn and how much for what effect BUT your on your ow n if you blow your motor lol.
i run mine slightly advanced with higher fuel settings and alot less fuel milage in comparison to what most guys with there m1009's are running but i also REALLY push my trucks limits and need the extra oomph and dont mind the repairs as they keep my retired but busy lol.

hope it helps

edit to add my IP is going for a rebuild in dec, will be getting new injectors and glow plugs for it at thesame time all will be built to the marine application specs as it gives me some extra HP output where i need it without to much risk to the EGT's. and just to give you an idea of what i use my truck for, the last workout i gave it was a 2' dia, maple tree in my buddys front lawn that needed to be relocated to his wood pile stump and all, before that was draggging a 5k lbs roughweight drag sled