• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

installing cargo tie-downs inside deuce bed

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nickd,

How many hole-saw blades did you go through? Seriously. Not asking to be funny. I'm curious how hard that bed metal is on those blades, especially if you're cutting, what, a dozen holes?

Thanks in advance.

CGarbee

I'd trust my military tie downs for my Mule as well (it weighs less than a thousand pounds...), but the 30kw generators run 3k lbs each and I didn't want them to move at all...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say they are stronger than they look for sure. I was cringing when we lifted that bed with 2 of them diagonally but they held no problem.

jwaller

I got one of these kits off egay and was wondering what the correct locations are for the tiwdowns. anybody have the MWO for it or have a correct location for them. I think they were incorporated into the A3's but not sure.

Jones

The only thing the cup provides is a way to make the tie-down flush so loads don't drag against them.
Welding the cup on from the outside eliminates the possibility of pulling it off if the weld is sub-standard.
The cleanest way to put the 4" hole in is to use a Greenlee punch; followed either by a hole saw or a plasma torch.
Whether the tie-down mounts to the inside of the cup or the inside of the bed-- it's gonna be equally strong.

JWaller;
There's a TB that comes in the kit to show where the tie-downs go depending on which truck or trailer you're putting them on. I'll look to see if I still have my copy laying around.

Last edited:

jasonjc

My M35A2C has 8 of them on each side. They are right up agaist the stake pockets. And 2 on the tail gate and 2 on the front wall.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went out to check my Greenlee punches, none even close to 4". I do have the 4" hole saw though. I should start mounting some of these, I have 4.

LanceRobson

Those tiedowns are pretty darn strong. A full pallet of .50 Cal. ammo or .45 Ball is right around 4,000 pounds and we used to secure them with two ratchet straps laced diagonally over the top and laced through the steel banding. That, combined with 4x4 blocking to keep them from sliding, satisfied the DOT safety Nazis for over the road transport.

We also used to haul M151s with four tiedown straps and the M151 butted up against the front of the truck bed to keep it from shifting.

sprucemt

Mike,
On my dump truck, I used 3/8", grade 100 chain, 4 links long, one of which was welded to the bed. It would accept 5/16" clevis or the end of the mil ratchet straps. Still were secure after 10 years of hard use and when I pushed the truck up onto the scrap hauler last month. Just a different idea.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So what is a Greenlee punch? How does it work? This is a winter project for me........

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Greenlee Punch, otherwise called a cabinet punch, is designed to punch holes in sheet metal electrical boxes for conduit. I suspect that the MV beds will be a little too tough for them. MV beds are high strength material.

Lee in Alaska

Cdub

The USMC Corp. ISO five ton cargo beds come standard with the " nuclear tiedowns " eight to be exact. The Tie Down Kit shown here is a MWO kit NSN 2540-00-782-1467.

I had picked up this set off ebay a year ago so I could replace my old rusty " D " rings with NOS ones. The pots I will have to sand blast. Then I will drill a drain hole in the pot to let the water dran out.

seya,

C'dub

Attachments

jasonjc

Greenlee makes a 4" and a 4 1/2" thats good for 10ga mild steel. That should be more than enought to go thought the side of the bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks