• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IronPlanet.com Selling Military Rolling Stock SOON!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess one way they're going to beat GL is by starting the bids at $1200 instead of $25. Maybe they're start the ones with KNOWN mechanical issues lower but the days of buying a running, driving MV for under a grand appear to be gone unless you fish in the GSA pond.

Chief_919

If they do all the listing like what I see now, this will be a big improvement.

The higher opening bids will go away if things go unsold...

Al Harvey

The truck i just looked at on gov.planet said crankcase cracked not[wont start]seems better than buying a truck that you hope new batterys will fix,kinda know a little bit more when pulling wallet out and making a bid.i would rather pay a little more up front and not worry about a no start engine.are we allowed on lot for inspections or do we just go on how they sre written up?
No previewing. You have to go on what is written up.

STLvortac

I'm new to GL and SS, just learned the ropes. Time to start over again with GP(govplanet...) This explains the lack of trucks on GL this month?

Perhaps this will keep bid prices inline with GL auctions since a 'professional' inspected non viewed truck has as many risk as an amateur viewing it in person.

infidel got me

It seems that you are getting a somewhat thorough inspection of the vech.i think it will work out ok.as noted earilier they are new to this contract,but are at least willing to listen for any helpful insites.as long as pricing is fair it should be a good thing-time will tell.sitting on bidding hand tillthe 19th lol

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say good riddance to GL, I could not in good conscience do business with them any more and eventually just got turned off to buying, I hope the new outfit has better customer service and I am looking forward to getting back into the buying side of the hobby.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps this will keep bid prices inline with GL auctions since a 'professional' inspected non viewed truck has as many risk as an amateur viewing it in person.
They guarantee the inspections and will make it right if the inspection is found wrong.

I for one am not real happy with the changeover. I think prices are bound to go up and you will see more of a retail market. Sure, GL is a pain to work with and their listing are often wrong but that tended to keep prices down somewhat. GL isn't that bad if you know how to deal with them and know what to expect.

People that were looking to buy trucks retail anyway will like the change because they will know what they are getting with the guaranteed inspections and they may save a little money.

People that like to buy stuff wholesale and take a gamble on a truck at near scrap price will hate it.

Oh well, it's beyond my control and the plus side is the higher prices will be good for the taxpayer.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh well, it's beyond my control and the plus side is the higher prices will be good for the taxpayer.
I'd like to think it'd trickle back down to us, the taxpayer, but know, to them, it's like you or me finding a $20 bill on the sidewalk. You just stick it in your pocket to spend since it's not really anyone else's money.

m715mike

I'd like to think it'd trickle back down to us, the taxpayer, but know, to them, it's like you or me finding a $20 bill on the sidewalk. You just stick it in your pocket to spend since it's not really anyone else's money.

I'm still on my first cup of coffee this morning and not sure I follow. Are you implying that since others will pay more taxes (do to higher auction prices) then we might get a break in our tax bills? If so, I agree with mkcoen. The higher prices are only good for the tax collector.

Chief_919

Looking it over, most of the pattern seems to be stuff starting out at about the scrap value.

Some scrappers will be hurt.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still on my first cup of coffee this morning and not sure I follow. Are you implying that since others will pay more taxes (do to higher auction prices) then we might get a break in our tax bills? If so, I agree with mkcoen. The higher prices are only good for the tax collector.
I think he was refering to the more money surplus brings the more money will be returned to the general fund (government property being sold means the government getting that money). My point was it doesn't matter if they were getting a little from GL or a lot from GovPlanet that they're going to blow it any way and it won't be returned in the form of lower taxes to us or that they'll collect less taxes because they're getting more money back. They'll just find something else to waste it on.

Al Harvey

Well back on topic, I do wonder if this was part of reason why DoD went to the EPA about the surplus trucks. Wouldn't be surprised if Ironplanet wanted a solid answer so they wouldn't be the ones stuck with a huge fine later. The worst part of this whole thing, I think, is that now I have another website that I have use to search for stuff. Just searching for stuff is becoming a full time ordeal. lol Here's to hoping for the best! :beer:

iatractor

I talked to a guy named Neil from Iron Planet the other day. He is one of the gurus working for the GOVPLANET part of the company. The way he explained things, it sounds like the auctions will operated very similarly to the Iron Planet side. Talked to him for over 30 minutes and he was very helpful. Drop me a private message if you would like his phone number.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got an email from Military Trader with a posting by IronPlanet looking for Territory Point of Contact employees, full and part time. Hopefully they don't pull too many from GL or we'll be back to some of the same issues we're having now.

Chief_919

I just got an email from GL asking me to do a survey and comment on things like customer service, pickup scheduled, website features etc.

I gave them more than a little feedback.

Artisan

NOT True.

When I saw this I theorized it would be incredibly wrong and I was right.
I wrote an IP employee and here is his reply in part;

"We appreciate you asking us about this directly instead of speculating.
The vast majority of the DLA Surplus Rolling Stock property will be sold
from various government/military bases located across the United States.
We are more than happy for buyers to preview equipment in person.
However, site visits will be “by appointment only” and need to be
scheduled ahead of time with a GovPlanet employee."

So looks like bases and making appointments will be SOP, in other
words, little has changed. Frankly, from what I have seen, buying
will be a LOT easier. More QUALITY info disclosed, less chances of buying a pos
that does not run if you do not preview in person yourself.

I do have a VERY big concern though and that is all the really nice
trucks and forklifts etc could very well NEVER hit an auction block.

The way I see things, IP could easily grab the good stuff and go
straight to there OTHER new site allEquip bypassing the auction
process entirely thus all prices will SKYROCKET for the good stuff.
With there power they could easily start MV repair shops themselves
and bump the price to full book retail.

Just like Home Depot put all the mom and pop hardware stores
out of business the very same things could happen here.

"If" that happens I for one will be VERY dissed off.
"If" that happens you can bet the farm all the really good deals
deals will go clear out the door. "IF"
this is going to happen I do not see it happening right away,
first it will be all nice and cool and then little by little the
screws will turn,
what I see is a few things here and there bypass and then after
everyone accepts it and say " Oh well ", ALL the good stuff
will be gone from the little guys hands, forever. . . . . . . . .

(If I can think of you can BET others have too, and if it means
more dollars for the shareholders, byby good deals)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I thought there were laws in place to prevent such a situation. So no one gets the golden deal. Everything has to be public auctioned to the highest bidder per gov contract specs. I could see ironplanet linking the gov auctions for construction type equipment to the search in their civilian equipment auction site. I don't see construction cosmonauts having any real interest in the cargo trucks they really aren't practical for most uses and the stuff loggers and farmers use they already know where to find.

welldigger

Granted I haven't ever used gl I'm going to reserve judgement on iron planet until they have been selling surplus for a while. Then I will judge their quality based on their track record of sales and customer service.

Or you can run around screaming the sky is falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks