• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IronPlanet.com Selling Military Rolling Stock SOON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a set transaction fee or is it a sliding scale based on final price?

I agree with Clinto, I think it will lower the prices and take some people out of the buying market. But only time will tell.

Artisan

It would be HUGE bad business for govplanet to come out of
the gates being very expensive. I am of the opinion in the first
year we will see a lot of great deals...just makes sense for a new
business, it makes NO SENSE to open up shop scaring people away...

Chief_919

the gates being very expensive. I am of the opinion in the first
year we will see a lot of great deals...just makes sense for a new
business, it makes NO SENSE to open up shop scaring people away...
I think it will be hard to predict.

A lot of GL buyers who don't frequent boards like this won't know and look.

However Iron Planet has a HUGE established customer base on the heavy equipment side, and they will be pitching to them hard.

First few months you are going to see a lot of Iron Planet customers bidding who don't know much about military equipment, and that could drive prices stupid.

Artisan

Does any one know of any law that says "X" amount of DRMO / DOD Etc. Et Al HAS
to reach Civilian hands less retailers/auctioneers ?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I believe items can be offered for free to other gov agencies police fire etc. Anything other than "national security" wise has to be public auctioned to the highest bidder. I would think even armored vehicles would need to be auctioned for scrap destruction like the big humvee lots. There are strict laws in place to prevent gov employees giving family and friend sweetheart deals.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the gates being very expensive.
How on earth can they control that? The buyers set the price, not IP. Now they can set the starting price at unreasonable levels but they'll change that soon enough if they aren't getting bids.

I know there's been all kinds of speculation on how this change is going to affect surplus buying. I've already made my predictions known on this thread and others so I'm not going to spout them out again. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They do well with the equipment auctions they currently run. If you haven't gone to the ironplanet site there is a wide variety of stuff in several countries. I think bidders will adapt to the buying environment and things will normalize after a few months of auctions. As there is more publicity and more interest in the surplus stuff prices are bound to rise somewhat.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is getting awfully close to violating the no auction posting rule.

Talk about IP in general is fine but we don't need to talk about specific auctions or lots.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
While the company that auctions off military vehicles might be changing the rule of discussing current or upcoming auctions will remain in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.