• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IronPlanet.com Selling Military Rolling Stock SOON!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sky is falling!!!! The fact is the shift has taken place and the only real option is to make the best of it. Just my two cents.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I bought some stuff from ironplanet in the spring the items were just as described the process was easy no trouble with using my CT tax id number in NJ. GL will not let me use my tax number with them in NJ.

Chief_919

I thought there were laws in place to prevent such a situation. So no one gets the golden deal. Everything has to be public auctioned to the highest bidder per gov contract specs. I could see ironplanet linking the gov auctions for construction type equipment to the search in their civilian equipment auction site. I don't see construction cosmonauts having any real interest in the cargo trucks they really aren't practical for most uses and the stuff loggers and farmers use they already know where to find.
GL routinely diverts stuff from the auctions for their retail side.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I cannot believe doing that would be legal under the gov contract. Years ago friends of gov employees or lawmakers would end up with sweetheart deals. Basically great stuff for next to nothing. Taxpayers and other bidders got fed up and laws were created regulating how surplus property could be sold off. So items would be sold to the highest bidder. With security restrictions of course. If GL could do as they wanted with stuff they would scrap anything metal themselves right off the bat instead of auctioning lots of it.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bye bye g/l

I just got an email about this news.:D

IronPlanet Awarded Contract for U.S. Department of Defense Rolling Stock Surplus Contract

IronPlanet®, the leading online marketplace for buying and selling used heavy equipment and trucks, today announced that it was awarded the U.S. Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) contract to manage and sell rolling stock surplus assets of the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) (Surplus Contract). The DLA issued the final contract award to IronPlanet on July 25, 2014 pursuant to a competitive bid process that was held on April 1, 2014.Bids for the Surplus Contract were based on a percentage of the sales price of the items that bidders will share with the DLA. IronPlanet estimates $50-70 million of rolling stock annually, and its bid was equal to 75.29 percent revenue share to the DLA. The Surplus Contract has a base term of two years with four one-year renewal options. Following the bid process, Liquidity Services, Inc. (NASDAQ:LQDT) filed a bid protest with the Government Accountability Office (GAO). This protest and supplemental protests filed were denied by the GAO on July 23, 2014.

DBA as (GOV planet):D I have signed up on it now.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Well I just signed up and the first thing I noticed is that they don't take credit cards. You have to do a wire transfer within three days of winning the auction. That means you need real money. I CAN'T HAVE NOTHIN!!!!!!!

You also only have eight days to remove the item from where you bought it. Real convenient if it is an unmanned site or they only load out one or two days a week.

I'm also thinking that all the good GL folks I have cultivated relationships with are not going to do dik to help me remove anything that is sold by GOVPLANET.

CHANGE BAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!

Methinks that in the future we will refer to GL as "the good old days".

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well I just signed up and the first thing I noticed is that they don't take credit cards. You have to do a wire transfer within three days of winning the auction. That means you need real money.
That will dramatically reduce the prices-I'll bet 80% of the people buying this stuff are buying it on plastic and paying it off in time.

So either the prices go down or the policy will change.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:tigger:

Well I just signed up and the first thing I noticed is that they don't take credit cards. You have to do a wire transfer within three days of winning the auction. That means you need real money. I CAN'T HAVE NOTHIN!!!!!!!

You also only have eight days to remove the item from where you bought it. Real convenient if it is an unmanned site or they only load out one or two days a week.

I'm also thinking that all the good GL folks I have cultivated relationships with are not going to do dik to help me remove anything that is sold by GOVPLANET.

CHANGE BAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!, NOT ALWAYS A UPGRADE

Methinks that in the future we will refer to GL as "the good old days".
The K&G Ron was still asleep.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I'll bet 80% of the people buying this stuff are buying it on plastic and paying it off in time. So either the prices go down or the policy will change.
Interesting theory. And while I am certainly one of those you mention, I have observed that the price of rolling stock has risen up to and over the GL $10,000 limit for using credit cards. So I don't think the IP rules will have much impact.

Rick

FloridaAKM

Buying on plastic is an easy way to do business. You win the auction, they charge your card & send you an invoice in three days & you pick up your wins in ten business days. As long as you pay off the card @ the end of the charge cycle, no extra charges or problems. Now, if you pay the card off over time, that's where the problem can get bad. The balance can get outta hand if you like to bid a lot & win many auctions, or just a few high $$$ ones.

I have had a good summer of auctions with GL & the people who manage the different sites. Having to switch to IP is going to be like starting all over from scratch!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That will dramatically reduce the prices-I'll bet 80% of the people buying this stuff are buying it on plastic and paying it off in time.

So either the prices go down or the policy will change.
It'll be interesting to see which way things fall. I can understand why they don't want to take plastic though. That's a 3% cut on average for them. Or they might start taking plastic like many gun stores do, if you agree to forfeiting a "discount" for cash.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or people will take out HELOC's (Which makes more sense anyways if you're going to carry debt)

There's a bunch of ways to pay for things other than visa if you don't have the money. And most are cheaper over any reasonable time frame.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks should review their "Iron Clad Guarantee" also. It's great that they inspect the vehicle and all but looks like if you try and hold them to it there is a $750 deductible. Can't really tell if that applies if you don't take posession due to an issue or if it applies to you trying to get them to make something right (i.e. replace a blown engine they said was good). Either way I think the only real benefit is more pics of the sale item and them actually getting something started vs GL saying "driven in" (18 months before it sat on flat tires for over a year).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or people will take out HELOC's (Which makes more sense anyways if you're going to carry debt).
Of course if you can't pay your VISA bill you just get dinged on your credit report. If you can't pay your HELOC they foreclose on your house.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Or people will take out HELOC's (Which makes more sense anyways if you're going to carry debt)

There's a bunch of ways to pay for things other than visa if you don't have the money. And most are cheaper over any reasonable time frame.
Which didn't have a factor at all in the 2007 financial collapse.....

Good thing is they're not cranking out those loans for anyone with a pulse anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks