• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is all deuces hard to get in second gear

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start in second. And yes, it can be difficult to go from 1st to 2nd. OR start in3 low, shift up thru 5th, shift to high 4th and keep going!

Coal Cracker

Well , it depends, are you upshifting, downshifting? speed etc.

I find mine to need double clutching now and then, especially when the oil gets hot, I'm back to running 90 wt. GL-1, which I'll eat crow for, but thats another story :oops:

I start out in second, (when not loaded or starting on a steep incline so as to not shear the key) , it will be hard to go from 1st. to second because 1st. is not synchronized.

When stopped I'll find it difficult to get in second, I'll just hold it in the second pattern and slightly release the clutch to spin the gear assy. to engage the gears, you have to feel it out.

Last edited:

Clay James

Both of mine are hard to get into second sometimes. I start in second low range but always first gear first in high range. I've noticed that they won't go from second to first, it will grind, I have to stop before I can get them in first again. They just need a little patience when shifting:driver:

91W350

Sometimes mine needs a little first gear roll or a little bump of the clutch to move the shaft. I find it much easier to shift to second just before stopping instead of waiting until stopped. First is not sychronized and feels like a flat tooth gear, much rpm and mine drags hard coming out of first.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what I do but it takes some getting used to. The only reason I do this is I'm not a fan of changing throwout bearings so I won't stand for more than a second or two with the clutch depressed. When rolling to a stop pull I pull it back into second. once stopped I reach down and drop the transfer case into neutral. When it's time to move I depress the clutch and pull the transfer case back into high (or low if I'm heavy) and proceed as usual.

rlwm211

I have found that first to second is difficult because of the amount of momentum the gears in the transmission have in first keep the shaft turning too fast to engage second immediately when you depress the clutch. I double clutch moving up from first to second, or down from second to first and it helps a lot.

RL

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several trucks here, never really felt an issue going from 1st to 2nd. ( It's a truck not a sports car)
I firmly believe the number one cause of trans failure is starting out in 2nd gear high range.
It is also hard on the clutch.

Your results may vary...........

Chevyman_15237

Mine is also tempermental shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear. It's tough going in... compared to other trucks I have driven (Mack granite 10 yd mixer w/10 LL, International 10 yd mixer w/13 sp road ranger, International 10 ton dump with spicer 5 spd DD). If on flat, I start normal 1hi-2hi-3hi-4hi-5hi; on a grade of any sort or if it needs to be a quicker shift 2nd LO-2nd HI-3hi-4hi-5hi. Every now again if coasting down a hill in 2nd hi or low it will jump out of gear... I think the synchros are going :-|

tm america

i almost never use first .i use low in the transfer case and second in the trans. And use neutral in the transfer case when sitting at a stop light like kenny does..Second goes in easy on a upshift it's the pulling it out of first thats tough..Downshifting to second requires the right speed .. To fast and it wont happen. Second from a stop need a quick release of the clutch to get things lined up sometimes.. this is normal for these trucks.. Although i'm sure with everything new they would act more like a normal stick minus not having first syncronized

tm america

Mine is also tempermental shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear. It's tough going in... compared to other trucks I have driven (Mack granite 10 yd mixer w/10 LL, International 10 yd mixer w/13 sp road ranger, International 10 ton dump with spicer 5 spd DD). If on flat, I start normal 1hi-2hi-3hi-4hi-5hi; on a grade of any sort or if it needs to be a quicker shift 2nd LO-2nd HI-3hi-4hi-5hi. Every now again if coasting down a hill in 2nd hi or low it will jump out of gear... I think the synchros are going :-|
If it's popping out of gear you have more wrong than a syncro.. either the engaging teeth are messed up or there is something moving around due to a bad bearing or something else ..

stampy

I only use first when towing or on a hill, or trying to pull someone out of a ditch. Otherwise it's in 2nd when starting off.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What exactly is double clutching or at least your definition of double clutching?
Pushing the clutch in and out two times?
How does that help anything that didn't work the first time?
:lost:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks