• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is all deuces hard to get in second gear

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, I always start off in 1st gear. If I wind it out too high in 1st, or try to shift from 1st to 2nd too fast, it can be hard to get into 2nd. If I take it easy - - start out in 1st, but only get it up to 1 - 2 mph and then shift into 2nd at a reasonable speed, it goes right in without any difficulty. I seldom need to downshift from 2nd to 1st while moving, but when I do I double-clutch each time. These are 40+ year old trucks and I see people try to drive them like a sports car. A Deuce is very dependable if not abused.

Vfflang

I start in 2nd but sometime I have to give it a little gas before I get it into 2nd with the shifter, clutch depressed of course.

91W350

What exactly is double clutching or at least your definition of double clutching?
Pushing the clutch in and out two times?
How does that help anything that didn't work the first time?
:lost:
Double clutching can save your transmission a lot of wear, especially the sychronizers. When down shifting, disengage the clutch to get the transmission to neutral. While in neutral engage the clutch and tap the accelerator to speed up the engine. Then disengage long enough to shift.. what it does is spin up the upper shaft so the rpm difference between gear mesh is much less. The bronze or brass ring will pull that shaft up to speed, bit double clutching kills most of the friction required.

Up shifting is the opposite. You are wound tight in third and about to make the big leap to fourth. Disengage to shift out of third, while in neutral engage the clutch to slow the upper shaft, disengage and drop into fourth.

Some guys drive without using the clutch except to stop. I never tried clutchless shifting the deuce but used to do it all the time in a C60 because its syncronizers were shot or broken. You control the engaement or shift by matching the gear by rpm. On a lot of older trucks, they were not synchronized so double clutching or clutchless was the rule.....either that or grind until it falls in.

Capt.Marion

My truck has a pretty close to brand new transmission in it, and it sure is picky about going into second gear. I usually have to slip the clutch a little bit a couple of times before it will go into gear. If I'm planning to start in second, I slip it in to gear right before coming to a stop, while the truck is still rolling just a little bit.

However, downshifting through the gears, I have no problem (like downshifting from 5 to 4 to 3 and then into 2nd for making a hard right turn). I always double clutch, up and down.

oddshot

starting out of a red light trying to start out in second.
You might want to do a search on that subject on this forum ... and over at the Deuce Hotrodding forum.

I might be wrong, but I'm almost sure I read something about the Deuce 2nd gear seizing to the shaft. It wouldn't hurt to look.

In any event ... you might want to drain out a quart of lube ... and put in a quart of that Lucas (or other) trans additive. I think Amsoil has a good trans lube too.

Although I hadn't had any problems ... when I changed the lube in mine I threw in a quart ... and it seems to me the truck seems to shift even smother than before.

oddshot

emr

I have been trucking for way over 30 years, yeesh i sound old :) but for what its worth, starting out in second is fine for those who do it,And i am not telling them not to... But for me and the Army it is a no no, These trucks are supposed to be started out in first, like said above, and correctly,... U are waiting to long to shift, trying to get to much out of her, She will do just fine, feel her soft spot :) and do not rush her down the road and all will be just fine, Take her thru the gears 1 thru 5 down to 4 and up to 5 again, and this is they way she should run and its fun to do, Now look it up but the fast answer to the fast question is after 5 shift transfer to low then to 4 then to 5 ... :) there might be some thing to this advise :)

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to do a search on that subject on this forum ... and over at the Deuce Hotrodding forum.

I might be wrong, but I'm almost sure I read something about the Deuce 2nd gear seizing to the shaft. It wouldn't hurt to look.
oddshot
You are correct about not starting out in 2nd. When I was in the Army it was forbidden to start out in 2nd. We were told that 2nd gear was the weak link in the transmission. I can't remember what bad things happen if you start out in 2nd.

Flyingvan911

I vary the rpm at which I upshift depending on the grade I'm on and how much power I need. I find downshifting at a tach speed of 1,000 rpm works well. If I really need to shift from 2nd to 1st while moving I will also double clutch since 1st isn't synchro'd.

Here is the procedure for double clutching. I'll use 1st to 2nd for an example.

1. Press the clutch and pull the gearshift out of first.

2. With the gearshift in neutral, let the clutch all the way out and then push it back it.

3. Put the gearshift in 2nd gear and let the clutch out.

With practice you get a nice smooth rhythm.

TexAndy

You are correct about not starting out in 2nd. When I was in the Army it was forbidden to start out in 2nd. We were told that 2nd gear was the weak link in the transmission. I can't remember what bad things happen if you start out in 2nd.
unnecessary wear on the clutch I think

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I avoided starting out in 2nd usually. There were a few times I had a major incline on my side and shifting inst 1st would have actually slowed me down as compared to just rolling up to speed and starting in 2nd. I did try starting in 2nd on level ground a few times just to see how the truck would handle and she would go but did not like it one bit. 2nd was also slightly picky when shifting and I had to keep the RPM over 1800-ish or it would grind. Just the nature of the beast.

I only use first when towing or on a hill, or trying to pull someone out of a ditch. Otherwise it's in 2nd when starting off.
This is what I do now that I am more familiar with my truck. First just seems unnecessary. I have not noticed anything that would make me think it is putting strain on the transmission.

Out here it is very flat land, and I have not yet had the opportunity to load the Deuce with anything heavy. Now, if I did so, I would be sure to use first and / or low range.

LC

ETA: One thing I have noticed is that I do have to slow down somewhat to downshift into 4th from 5th, even using the clutch it does not like to be forced down until it gets to a lower speed.

Josh

Personally, I float all the gears in the deuce. Only time I use the clutch is when I come to a stop, or getting up to speed on a grade.

I grind a gear maybe once every 100ish shifts. and the second I realize the its not going to drop in, Ill just pop the clutch and call it good.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shifting a synchronized trans without a clutch is hard on the synchros. If you do this enough it will get hard to go into any gear (clutch or not) because the synchros are shot. I've seen young kids get a new diesel pickup and think it's cool to play "big truck driver" and not use the clutch. Before long their truck is sitting at the trans shop and they wonder why their trans will not shift without grinding anymore. Clutch-less shifting is the norm on real big rigs because their trans doesn't have synchros.

I always start out in first and have never had a problem shifting in or out of second in any deuce I've ever driven.

Capt.Marion

The only reason to float the gears in a deuce and a half is if you have a transmission with badly worn synchromesh. Even then it is likely better to double-clutch rather than just float.

My truck was almost impossible to get into second gear at times and always hard. I drained out the gl5 and put in 40w motor oil. Man what a difference, It shifts so smooth it like a dream. The friction modifiers in the gl5 can cause to much slip in the synchros in some trans missions. You will feel a difference right away going to motor oil and it will improve over time as the friction modifiers wear off the synchros.

I would suspect that gl1 would have the same effect as it dose not have the same friction modifiers as gl5.

wantaduce

starting in first from now on.
Yep! thats a good idea, always first gear first
take a look at this (maybe you've already seen it ) at least this is what i am gonna do when i get mine ....who ever knew about hydrostatic lock and all that jazz jhttp://m35a2.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/you-and-your-m35a2.pdf