• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this 6.5 worth my time and money?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran across this 6.5 for sale:

4.jpg2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Casting number 12555506. From what I can find this means '97 or newer with updated main-bearing bolts to prevent a (common) cracking issue.

Other then that, all I know at the moment is that it is in some kind of machinery equipment.

Is this a worthy upgrade over the 6.2?

Kaiser67M715

The 506 blocks aren't very good, they did use a smaller outer bolt (10mm vs. 12mm) for the mains, but they cracked worse then any previous block.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there anything wrong with your 6.2?
Actually no, I have 2 running 6.2s. I figured an upgrade in horsepower and torque wouldn't be a bad thing if I can get it for a good price. Detroit Diesels are fairly rare over here, 6.5s even more so.

By the way, if I do end up buying it, I will sell one of the 6.2s to recoup I guess about half of the cost. I will keep one as a spare.

The 506 blocks aren't very good, they did use a smaller outer bolt (10mm vs. 12mm) for the mains, but they cracked worse then any previous block.
I don't like the sound of that. I asked the guy for the date stamp (and more information about where it came from, what it is used for, etc.), any chance certain cast dates are better?

Btw., can I make this fit/run using parts from my 6.2 or do I need to go out and get more parts?

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Actually no, I have 2 running 6.2s. I figured an upgrade in horsepower and torque wouldn't be a bad thing if I can get it for a good price. Detroit Diesels are fairly rare over here, 6.5s even more so.

By the way, if I do end up buying it, I will sell one of the 6.2s to recoup I guess about half of the cost. I will keep one as a spare.

I don't like the sound of that. I asked the guy for the date stamp (and more information about where it came from, what it is used for, etc.), any chance certain cast dates are better?

Btw., can I make this fit/run using parts from my 6.2 or do I need to go out and get more parts?
97 is the really bad year, unfortunately the only way to tell if it's good is to take the oil pan off and check. I do have a 506, 1997 6.5 turbo diesel in my '85 GMC 1/2 ton, that had a crack free bottom end with 126,xxx miles on it.

The thing with the 506 blocks is they added piston squirters into the main webs, which ultimately weakens an already stressed design.

Except for pistons, crank, and probably oil pan (one piece and two piece rear main seals use different pans) everything else is practically interchangeable.

I don't think there is that much increase in HP and torque from a 6.2 to 6.5 na, your likely to gain much more adding a turbo, even if you only boost 5 psi (a 6.2 can take 10psi in completely stock form with only a little more fuel)

I want to say 6.5 NA HP was around 145/150, vs the 6.2 of 130/140ish

Kaiser67M715

Oh, I also see it has an electronic injection pump, so you would need another injection pump, a 6.2 pump will work, but at that point it's just a glorified 6.2 and the dual thermostat housing and most likely the whole accesory/serpentine system would need to be replace with the 6.2 v-belt system. It is very hard to get a throttle bracket (custom) to work with the dual thermostat crossover.

Kaiser67M715

Your right, I forgot navistar kept the 506 casting number, anything after a 2001 date code should be navistar and good.
Unless its a navistar block. Look in the intake valley and see if it has the navistar symbol.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless its a navistar block. Look in the intake valley and see if it has the navistar symbol.
Do not know if the symbol is there. Might have to go and take a look for myself. If it is, might be worth it just to have a more robust and reliable engine?

Where ever I look I get different HP values. Just for the 6.2 I got 135 (TM), 130, 143 and 165. The one from the TM seems most trustworthy... For the 6.5 I've seen 155, 180, etc.

I also found this for 1500 euro (Does not include the pictured IP). IF it is a complete kit that's 2350 euro for a turbo charged 6.5... Can't really compare it to anything here, but it seems like a good deal then I guess.

turbo.jpg

Your right, I forgot navistar kept the 506 casting number, anything after a 2001 date code should be navistar and good.
So, when he sends me the date stamp it can be confirmed for sure.

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

There's a lot of debate on actual hp and tq ratings, because they list it at a certain rpm.

The military is a J-code (no emissions) an '84 civilian j-code was rated at 155hp back in the day, so figure the cucv was rated close to the same. A c-code (emissions) was rated between 120 and 135 hp.

Later 6.2, including those in hmmwvs and the 90's trucks were rated close to 165hp, a lot was due to valve size changes and pre-cup differences.

A 6.5 NA in 90's vans was rated at 175hp, that's about the only reference I could find for the 6.5NA, although they were used in military, and a few other civilian applications.

I'm not sure on turbo prices across the ponds, but that is a good turbo to install, having to tweak your injection pump is not a huge issue, and if you really shop, you could find a 6.5 pump and have it built for a turbo application. (That's typically about $600-700 in the US) a turned up 6.2 pump would still work fine though if your in a budget.

Kaiser67M715

Oh, I also think GEP also cast a 506, and some of theirs don't have date stamps, they are in the same category as a navistar, superior to a GM cast.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, it's probably 2000'ish. It has been used on a ice-resurfacing machine called Olympia (based on a Silverado chassis?).

Resurfice Corporation is a manufacturer of ice resurfacing equipment based in Elmira, Ontario, Canada. Their Olympia brand product line includes push models through full size models built on a Chevy Powertrain.
Conclusion; not a lot of miles/hours and no abuse. I'm going to have a look next Tuesday.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With it having the single plane intake manifold , you can tell from the CRD valve plumbing it is likely going to be the 175HP engine. If it is low hours and no abuse it can be a good replacement. With GM engines being rare over there. It might be a good idea to get it before you need it.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The block looks good. Does not seem to be a Navistar though. I found "01 18 J" cast on the backside. Does that translate to a proper date?

Edit: Took some Googling because that code didn't match any show in search results I got. Now I found 1 source claiming this is 01 August 2002. And that this format was used by Navistar?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks