• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's alive!!!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't had it running long enough to pay attention the fan. Will start looking out thou.

Yea, the line is connected to the PS cap, and runs to the filter. The lines are open where the Cdr used to be, and it's open where the fording canister used to be. Should I plug all these? One of my low pressure lines on the lower end of the is in rough shape. Probably will replace or trim next. But since I tight d the upper high pressure fitting, I don't habe the gurgling hissing sound anymore. Probably lots of air still in the system?
Since you are having trouble you should start by replacing all the return lines.
The vent line from the PS pump should not only go to the filter it should also be connected to the front and rear vent system, that would be the fuel pump, all the hubs and differentials, the transmission and transfer case.
Many run a separate vent line from the fuel pump, the pump can go bad and fill the hubs etc with diesel which is not a good enough lubricant for the hubs/diffs/trans/transfer etc.

Thunderbirds

TNDRIVER is correct but left out the most important step.

Jack the vehicle up so that it is at least 15 degrees elevated front over back. Then start the vehicle and turn the front wheels right locked to left and then left to right lock, 20 times. Then put the vehicle down and let it sit for two hours.
Wow, 15 degrees. That is going to be 19"+ wheel height at a wheelbase of 10' 10". My guess it will help with the trapped air hitting some elbow lines? Didn't see that in the TM. But I believe it. Thanks!

Thunderbirds

Since you are having trouble you should start by replacing all the return lines.
Yea, will be doing that. Thanks.

The vent line from the PS pump should not only go to the filter it should also be connected to the front and rear vent system, that would be the fuel pump, all the hubs and differentials, the transmission and transfer case.
Many run a separate vent line from the fuel pump, the pump can go bad and fill the hubs etc with diesel which is not a good enough lubricant for the hubs/diffs/trans/transfer etc.
Well, after you mention that, shortly after the two "purging" incidences where ATF came squirting out of the lines, I drained some diesel from the fuel system drain valve. Sure enough, it was very pink-ish. I am certain the ATF fluid got pushed through the Tee into the fuel system. :mad:

20240602_170158[1].jpg

In your guys' opinion, where else will or should I now have ATF fluid? Hubs? I found a schematic for the lines, is the schematic complete and accurate, are there other lines you know of? The fuel pump isn't even mentioned on here so I think other items/systems aren't either. ATF from the P/S into the transfer case and transmission isn't bad, but if it got into the differentials, I'll be pissed after servicing then the hard way. I hope the two systems (ATF and Gear Oil) are separated.

Fording Lines.png

AND, can I disconnect them at the Tee and have them bundled loosely, or should they stay connected? What purpose other than venting pressure do the lines have. What is the smart option to avoid any further cross contamination?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom... I am not going to run the truck until have this figured out so I avoid possible damages.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you certain your red fuel contains ATF and that no one used heating oil instead of Diesel fuel?

Heating oil and offroad Diesel fuel are red.

Thunderbirds

Are you certain your red fuel contains ATF and that no one used heating oil instead of Diesel fuel?

Heating oil and offroad Diesel fuel are red.
You are correct on the tints of them.

Almost 100% sure it is new, as a week ago the water/fuel I drained was clear. But I only drained 1/2 cup really.

The truck was sitting at the GP yard for some time, I think it was decommissioned in late 2022, so I hope no one was really messing around with it too much. Especially since the transfer case, transmission and diffs were empty.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not think the fuel system was connected to the vent system, I thought it had a vent line that ether terminated near the air filter or connected to the air filter system when equipped with fording valve.
To answer your question you should remove the non used lines and no line should be left open, all the vent items should terminate at the air filter connection.

Thunderbirds

That’s just AG fuel…see it all the time on those m1123’s
Makes a lot of sense... Thanks TOBASH and Retiredwarhorses

To answer your question you should remove the non used lines and no line should be left open, all the vent items should terminate at the air filter connection.
Awesome, as always. Thank you. This is what I was looking for.