• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Its cold outside lets talk Heaters, H81, H82, H83, etc.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hanging the k8, was more of a cooling effect rather than a grounding issue. I drilled holes in one k 8 that was being problematic to manually operate the switch inside, but there was no need to manually operate it, it went to work and is working to this day in a body shop

IceCastle

Before taking things apart tried to fire it a few more times, same results, getting 125psi on fuel pressure gauge (need to turn it down some for elevation), I think it fires for a few seconds, exhaust pipe gets warm, cannot get back to viewing port fast enough to see it, red light comes on at K8 after 10-15 seconds. Did note that when trying to fire it I do get a smell of diesel, no leakage to be seen anywhere.

Fuel filter is AMF Cuno self cleaning filter, shot stem with lots of PB last night, still does not turn today. Nut that surrounds stem came loose no problem, all attempts to loosen 7/16" square nut on bottom failed, there is also a larger hex nut that I think may be part of bowl, think I need to hold that when reefing on square, but no room for 2 wrenches with it installed. Pretty sure this is going to lead to disconnecting lines from pump and filter, then pulling pump with filter and getting it on workbench.

Opened combustion chamber, tried to save gasket but no go, I see some on ebay, any chance that is one of you guys? If so are you open to dealing direct and saving the fleas? If so let me know before I order some. Flame sensor appears to be in place, no tube assembly as pictured in the H82/83 manual, see pics. Flame sensor lens is a bit oily/dirty, will clean. I see cleaning procedure in manual for flame sensor, but not testing procedure.

Tried uploading some pics, not working, maybe I need more posts first?

Edit: Pulled the pump and fuel filter, further examination has me questioning if this is a serviceable filter, square head on bottom is just a drain plug, attempts to remove it are tweaking whole bottom of filter, and I don't think bowl comes off to allow cleaning. Ideally I would replace it with a spin-on disposable filter, yet due to lack of room, and not wanting to replumb it, I'm looking at a replacement from fleabay. Manual for H82/83 shows a different style filter.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are running wayyyyy too much fuel psi, try 90 psi or less. I am only running 70? Psi , ithink.

Also i think max waste oil would be like 20% or less. I think I remember reading about waste oul use but don’t remember the number

IceCastle

I never adjusted the fuel pressure, guessing its as set by mfr, previous shop was maybe 500ft above sea level, new shop is 6000ft elevation, so yes according to manual it needs to be down in 90-100 range. It was back in the mid 90's when we were running the WMO, don't think I even had internet yet, so just had to wing it, iirc we were running somewhere in the 60/40 to 50/50 range on diesel/WMO, it ran, did not smoke, so:shrugs:. Of course the peanut gallery (employees) always accused me of killing it by running too much wmo, I don't know yet, maybe they were right, I'll know for sure if nozzle is gummed up or clogged.

Edit: Oh yeah, this H81 has thermostats, one is White Rogers, other Independent Energy/Goldline SP-33.

Last edited:

IceCastle

Pulled the burner yesterday, nozzle had a good layer of shmooh on exterior, soaked in acetone last night, scrubbed with soft (not wire) brush this morning. New fuel filter is one the way, burner gasket is good so don't need to order that, weighing options for gasket for main cover of burner (first piece that comes off to access flame sensor). The old gasket appears to be a black rubber/silicone sheet material, doubt I will find that at NAPA, so either I use plain gasket material, high temp rtv in a tube, or order a sheet of high temp silicone and cut a gasket out of that, any opinions?

Hoping that between new filter, cleaning flame sensor, and cleaning nozzle, this thing fires again. I'd provide pics but cannot get them to load, I'm not new forums, and it looks like same system as PM, they are just not loading.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decrease fuel pressure, after first test fire. better to have not enough than too much and flood the chamber

sounds like it wasnt clean burning if the sight window was dirty

IceCastle

I got this heater back together today, its rocking out the heat, 45 minutes running now, burner is cycling on/off without issues, and the chill is out of the shop! Future readers, if you keep getting red light of death, clean the flame sensor and nozzle first.

Last edited:

IceCastle

Running 100psi today, see a little smoke on startup, then it clears up. Snowy overcast day today, hard to judge the smoke, think its clearing tomorrow, might bump it down 80-90 and see how it looks tomorrow. Need to look into running a duct for better heat distribution, shop space is long and narrow, north end is toasty warm now, south end is not bone chilling any more.

Last edited:

Drkatzphd3

Guys I know this is an older thread but I'm trying to figure out thenissue with my H82. I picked this up for 50 bucks (right place. Right time) and had to fix a broken fuel line. Other than cleaning the sediment bowl everythign was working great till yesterday. I heat my garage with it, and I had it running basically all day. I was working on a snowblower when it started making a noise. I wouldnt call it a click, more of a buzzing sound. It would go buzz, buzz, buzz and cycle off. After the third time i walked over to it, and watched. When it was buzzing, the fuel pressure gauge would flop around wildly then down to where it sets when the burner is off. I watched through the sight glass and when it buzzed the flame was intermently going off and on. Ive had it a month or so, burned probably 1 tank of diesel through it. Recently got some fuel oil from someone switching to natural gas, and it just started acting up. I doubt the fuel has anything to do with it because it burns just fine. I fear it has something to do with igniters or transformer, just hoping someone has had the same experience......

Attachments

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
remove and clean the burner, also adjust the igniters while you are in there, check bottom of burn chamber for fm, verify exhaust is clear and free flowing, verify ‘fire eye’ sensor is looking straight down the tube

clean fuel filter again....

you said sediment bowl, there should be brass filter assembly inside that sediment bowl

Last edited:

Drkatzphd3

Yes i read all 7 pages, didnt see anything refering to buzzing. I see clicki g, issues with the solenoid ect. There isnt a filterlter inside the bowl...any idea where to find parts other than the burner i see on ebay. Scheduled to take it apart this week for cleaning, just trying to find a scenario that sounded like mine.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is a funny filter, its like a whole bunch of copper washers stacked on top of each other, i think it just needs a large micro filter to jkeep the big chucks from going thru injector

i attempted to make my recreate your problem but its not cold enough to get a good run, but mine throws a fits below freezing always sputters and fluctuates fuel pressure when starting, i am sure my selector valve leaks so it won’t maintain prime, but only really notice when its cold, like below freezing

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You cant hear it sputtering because the fan wind noise, thats why i tried to get burner in video but heater is hard to get to the back where its placed.

Drkatzphd3

I see what your saying ill have to get a video of mine because the sound and the needle movement arent quite the same, but its probably the same issue. I appreciate your help, i dont think too many furnace repair guys are familliar with these

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its the same as an oil burner set up, NY has lots of those dont they? force in Air, force in fuel, toss in an igniter and you got heat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks