• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just another newby saying hello

canadian guy

Howdy Deuce Forum folks,
I used to have a 1963 Mercedes 404 that I ended up having to sell in the beginning of 2013 after I rolled a quad and broke my shoulder and couldn't go back to work for a lil while.And then came across my new bobbed deuce.So its also a 1963 with the Hercules version.Paid 8G...this was the link on you tube at the timehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0xKOxJQO8...They're more expensive up here in Canada than in the states,not sure why since Bombardier used to make them and ship them to the states(correct?) if I understand right.At first everything looked descent on it,ran good enough and everything,looked like it could use a lil TLC of course but its going on 51 yrs old so fair enough,and it will get it.
And then 3 days later after driving around the area for three days I go fill her up and start leaving town for the 450kms ride home and all of a sudden the clutch burned on me going up a hill...was slipping bad but made it up slowly and was able to get her on flat ground and away from all the traffic and that was it,she wouldn't go anymore after she stopped.So got her towed and try figuring what to do next.Finally I accepted a bid on uship to get her home but the truck who wqas gonna pick it up blew his hydrolic lines so couldn't do it lol.Long story short a friend of mine is doing a heavy duty mechanic course got one of his teacher to take on the project so I can drive her eventually.Sounds like the clutch was slipping because the rear main seal was leaking.Sounds like two of my axles seals need redone and my slave cylinder pissed fluid all over the place too so that needs fixed too(by the way is it a rebuild kit for slave cylinder or new slave cylinder altogether I need?).
But other than that and a few bigger tires all in all I think it'll be alright.
So my plan kinda is to make an expedition vehicle.I also have bought an older Alaskan Camper to try to fit on the back.I've yet to go pick it up so it might be challenging trying to figure out how to properly attach it to truck.I wanted to be able to still take the camper on and off as needed hence going this route instead of building my own camper,and I like the idea of the Alaskan camper for the pop up and down concept which would bring down the center of gravity.I'll try posting photo of camper and will be looking forward to comments.Thinking the exhaust pipe will be in the way tho.
Reason for getting a bobbed one for me was only the fact that I don't yet have the proper licence for tendum(3 axles) and bobbed is regular licence in Canadia land...And its what was available at the time and maybe I'll save a few bux on fuel lol.
So yeah that's about that.Hoping to get my truck soon...gotta wait til after the holidays to order all my parts and then wait til its fixed...And by the way was wondering if you guys know all the good spots to get parts up in Canada?Might be cheaper or faster to get than in the states.Ok thanx y'all for all you're future help for I'm sure I'll have lots of dumb questions when I start getting my hands dirty...Although I will search the site first:D

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Hmm..a military ex-radio or machine body would be better and make that into your military camper. Also i.m.h.o. that seemed a lot of $ to pay for all the trouble you experienced with it. or you were might unlucky. did you you carry out pre- purchase checks?

canadian guy

don't really want a radio box because thy're too long for the bobbed bed and too tall for center of gravity.If this doesn't work I will build my own with the same hydrolic up down method.Nah I didn't get the truck looked at before buying because I was out of my neighborhood and I don't trust mechanic too much anyway.The clutch wasn't slipping the first two days I drove it.Its hard to know these things.Just bad luck.Like I said they are rel expensive in Canada dude,only other bobbed on for sale in Canada right now is in Manitoba kijiji for 27000$

dmetalmiki

We mad e "cabin" and fitted it out on the ZILL 131 made from 1/2 plyboard..when painted it looked fine and of course suited the truck as it was made "to fit"

Last edited:

Dipstick

Hi Canadian Guy. I own a bobbed Deuce too as you can see by my Avatar. Good luck with your truck. That's a helluva winch you have. There are a lot of good people and good advice to be found on Steel Soldiers.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am no deuce historian..... but the winch and shortened bed appear to be 5 ton material.

Good looking truck. Best wishes with your purchase and plans.

Rick

Another Ahab

Hi Canadian Guy. I own a bobbed Deuce too as you can see by my Avatar. Good luck with your truck. That's a helluva winch you have. There are a lot of good people and good advice to be found on Steel Soldiers.
No kidding on that winch.

Welcome to you, canadian guy, from one (North) American to another.

canadian guy

I am no deuce historian..... but the winch and shortened bed appear to be 5 ton material.

Good looking truck. Best wishes with your purchase and plans.

Rick
Yeah ok very very possible that I'm totally wrong.Wonder where I got that from,probably the guy who sold it to me haha.Well that's cool,somewhat kind of original then if its a lil different.And yes the winch is functional.

canadian guy

What area of Western Canada are you in?[/
I'm on Van Island but my truck is still in Kelowna until I get all my parts and get it fixed.You wouldn't happen to know any places in the area to get parts locally huh?I know carriboo6x6 is in Quesnel but the guy is gone for a month or so...Cheers

canadian guy

got it home finally

Yeah so last week I ended up going to get my truck finally after the guy changed my clutch and he found a major fuel leak.He also did an axle seal but obviously didn't know what he was doing because its still leaking all over my wheel....All and all it was interesting tho,I left at night with no phone to traverse the mountains with an old truck which I knew nothing of its shape mechanically.The batteries died on me but was lucky enough to make my way to sleep in a town with a napa and got new batteries.Thought maybe the alternator was shut but it got me home and I've driven it a good 300 kms since changing the batteries and its still show over 24v on my batteries so maybe a short in the heater or lights,I'll get to it eventually.I drove without lights or heat after changing the batteries lol.Took a few new shots:here's one finally home

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You drove from Kelowna to Vancouver Island? In a Deuce? On the ferry?.....and how did I miss that trip?

........ If you found repair.....ability for a Deuce in Kelowna you're already a step ahead and very lucky so here's to hoping it continues.
:beer:
We have some BC contacts that may chime in to offer advise for parts out there on the Wet coast.

Steel Soldiers welcomes you and encourages lots of island pictures,.....Coombs, Fort Rodd and Tofino are on my favorites list.

You're a lucky guy.

Great adventure neighbour, Welcome to Steel

canadian guy

You drove from Kelowna to Vancouver Island? In a Deuce? On the ferry?.....and how did I miss that trip?

........ If you found repair.....ability for a Deuce in Kelowna you're already a step ahead and very lucky so here's to hoping it continues.
:beer:
We have some BC contacts that may chime in to offer advise for parts out there on the Wet coast.

Steel Soldiers welcomes you and encourages lots of island pictures,.....Coombs, Fort Rodd and Tofino are on my favorites list.

You're a lucky guy.

Great adventure neighbour, Welcome to Steel

Yep from Kelowna to Courtenay,and yep on the ferry from Horseshoe bay to Nanaimo...The guy who worked for me on my truck is one of the heavy duty mechanic teacher in Kelowna.He tried explaining to me that he wasn't impressed with the axle seals designed and that it would fail.I just read a few Thread on here and will try my hand at it...I'm wondering if that means I got to reorder everything this guy just changed tho...I'll find out sooner than later I'm sure

MtnSnow

Hello and Welcome from Utah. Congrats on getting the Deuce home! btw my wife and I have a couple of friends that live in Kelowna.

lbatlas

Great to see more Canadian's getting into this hobby, maybe some day we will have a Canadian SS rally. Super bunch of guys on this site, oh, and hello from the Maritimes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks