• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won another GL generator, MEP-003a

Isaac-1

Well it looks like my collection is a step closer to being complete as I just won a decent looking 831 hours showing green and brown MEP-003a from the local GL site for $1050 which was average on today's batch (one low hour unit sold for about the same as mine), which included MEP-016D's MEP-701a's along with a handful of MEP-002as and MEP-003a's (one was in an ASK and went for about $1,500). That most expensive MEP-002a sold for the same as my MEP-003a at $1050, but it was showing only 5 hours on the meter. Most of the MEP-002a's sold in the $850 range (with a couple going in the $600 range), One of the MEP-701a's with 900 hours showing on the clock is still going at 40 minutes past initial closing, priced currently at $840, most of the other MEP-701a's sold in the $650 ballpark, and the MEP-016D's went for about $275 - $450 (all of these looked well worn, but potential runners).

Now for a question, what civilian battery will work with the MEP-003a, can I use another pair of Group 51R's like I have on my MEP-002a?

thanks Ike

p.s. now to measure to see if the MEP-003a will fit in the back of my truck or if I will need to take a trailer to pick it up. (If it fits in the truck I can take it through the main gate and save 15 miles of driving to the south side commercial gate)

Also it has the words AUTO 3 stencilied on the side, any guess what this might mean, no company markings, etc?

Last edited:

3dAngus

It should fit in your truck OK if you don't have a big tool box in the back bed. You can even close the tailgate.
I am always concerned about them damaging the tailgate with a heavy load, so I would take the tail gate off and leave it at home, then secure it with a strap when you get it loaded.

My experience is, any series of batteries in good condition will do for starting. Longetivity is another matter entirely. How long do you want them to last. You are in warm weather country so the deep freeze isn't any issue. I have used the Optima yellow top, red tops, and regular Wal Mart batteries on sale for the generators, both 5K and 10K. I never felt the need to have batteries that would last me for ten years like the military ones, properly maintained, will last in warm weather geography.

Triple Jim

I'm using two group 24 batteries in my 003A. They fit well in the length direction, so they stay put OK. The group 51 size is almost an inch shorter, so wouldn't fit as nicely. Congratulations on getting the new generator!

storeman

Amen to Angus.
Congrats Ike! Crappy 002a's in Norfolk, suitable only for parts went close to $400 today. Out of my field of vision for sure.
Jerry :beer::beer:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Ike, I know you'll love that score. Not a bad price either from what I've seen lately.

Jimc

ike, i wanted to put the biggest batteries i could fit in my 003. after running down a group size chart i ended getting 2 group 34 batteries. i believe they were 34r.

Isaac-1

Well it looks like it is going to be VERY CLOSE on getting it into the back of the truck (short bed F-250 with a tool box) from the inside of the tail gate to the edge of the lid of the tool box I have about 61.5 inches, or about 63 inches to the main side of the tool box. The documents I find show a length of 62 inches for a MEP-003a, if the longest part is within about 22 inches of the bottom I should be ok to close the tail gate.

Ike

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got one of the Ft Polk 10kw's also with fairly low hours (I know that doesn't really mean much). I'll probably pick it up later this week in a M1101 trailer I won a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping it runs and I can get it to handle most of the house, mainly the central air, before the next hurricane hits.

61sleepercab

I have to buy 2 batteries for my 15 kw unit.

What histories or luck have you had with Walmart brand, Interstate, or Optima brand batteries?

I have so so luck with Walmart and Interstate stuff and have never tried Optima. Mark

Isaac-1

I bought mine for much the same reason here, my 5KW the MEP-002a is big enough for most loads, but not the central air. That and now it makes my collection of non trailer mounted diesel powered Mil-Std MEP generators nearly compete, I just need to find a MEP-016E. As of now I have a 3KW MEP-701a, 3KW MEP-016D, 5KW MEP-002a, and 10 KW MEP-003a, I don't really have an interest in the larger MEP uints as I already own a couple of larger commercial diesel generators. (33 and 125KW)

Ike

Isaac-1

Thanks Jim,

As to batteries, I have had poor luck with Wal-Mart batteries the last 10-15 years, when I bought my F250 used in 2008 it had a pair of brand new Wal-Mart house brand yellow top MAX batteries in it, these had a 36 month full warranty, within 24 months 1 was dead and the other was marginal, so the local Wal-Mart replaced both for free under warranty, within 24 months those 2 were down to providing less than 30% of their rated cranking amps.

By comparison my college age son's car has an Optima red top in it, he often does not start it for a week or two at a time, and that battery has been in the car for over 5 years, still going strong.

Last edited:

Rapracing

I watched several in DE and bid on a couple until they went a little crazy. Anywhere from 1200+ all the way to over 1800 for 002's. They were real nice looking and on trailers but a little more than I wanted to pay

Munchies

I buy original 6TL's from oreilly's. The manager knocked the price way down over what the computer shows. Easy peasy, throw on a solargizer and besides checking connections once in awhile go ahead and forget about it.

Triple Jim

To my surprise, the Walmart batteries I've gotten in the last 6 or 8 years here in NC have been amazingly good. I have to say that all batteries I've gotten in my 55 year life have been a crap shoot though.

dependable

I won an 003 w ASK at FT Meade yesterday, $1140 plus fees. Just had to fill out the collection also. Have 2 002s and a 701 already. An 002 will run my house pretty easily but can't start my air compressor so I had an excuse.

Jimc

I have a volvo that is 10 years old and still has the factory battery in it and there is no signs of it wearin down yet. I just wish i knew who made it. I have looked all over it and no info. Go figure. Other than that i always use the better line from napa. Always had good luck with them