• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won another GL generator, MEP-003a

Isaac-1

dependable, it seems yesterday was the day for buying MEP-003's so far you make 3 of us that have posted in this thread, sounds like you paid a good price too. I would have somewhat preferred a ASK model here too, but did not feel like paying an extra $400 for it, overall I am somewhat surprised these all went this cheap with most MEP-003a's ending between $1030-$1,100, considering last month here the 3 that sold ranged from $1250 (nice looking 800 hour showing)- $2450 (fresh rebuild).

Ike

dependable

No doubt the one I got will need a good going though, looks like it was sitting a while. There were about 12 sets at Ft Meade yesterday and none of them went too high. None of them were really mint looking either though.

tow2gunner

@dependable - I was "really interested" in one of the 003a's .... I got the pair of 002a's for just over 1400 - one listed 2450 hrs, the other 48 - hopefully I will be able to take a day from work this week and run down there to get them. - good excuse to miss a day of work and drive the 923!!

Between New Castle (DE) and Ft Meade - they had 28 gensets up I think - I was looking at some of the units from DE - but, they started getting up there.... Ft. Meade remained somewhat reasonable.

dependable

There is a good chance you can get both your 002s to work. If I had to choose one gen set of the MEPs I have, it would be the 002. Has a respectable amount of power and it sips the diesel. Good luck on the 'recovery' trip.

Isaac-1

I tend to agree if I had to pick one for stationary standby it would be the MEP-002a , if portability is a concern at a little under 300 pounds there is a lot to be said for the 3KW Yanmar powered MEP-016D even if it is a 3600 rpm screamer, I see having a pull starter is a big benefit.

tow2gunner

was looking hard at the 3kw they had - went for $400
depenadable - are u picking it up or shipping it back? i am a few miles off of 95, between philly and baltimore. just over the md line. i used to be an army brat on ft meade... (ages ago!!!)

dependable

I'm going to get it shipped. Too busy at work right now to get it.

The 3kw rig is good for what it is, a 3600RPM unit. Most of the others are 1800, which is better.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

On a side note, while looking through GL before bidding of the MEP-003a I ended up winning, I spotted one that is likely going to go to a VERY unhappy new owner. It is a nice looking MEP-002 (probably fresh rebuild), being advertised as a MEP-003a, which is not all that unusual for GL, but what is unusual is this one has a MEP-003a data plate on it.

Munchies

I wish I could make contact with buyers of specific sets sometimes. Like the 15's out of shelby yesterday with the super thick black soot marks all over, and soot juice leaking from the manifolds. Wonder if it was ran with nothing but a laptop for a load :p

Isaac-1

Yeah, out of the batch at Polk that just sold there was one with a rusty generator end, likely over heated at some point, another MEP-016D with one side of the control box where the CARC was blistered, as well as 2 or 3 others I would not have touched with a 10 ft pool (one of the MEP-016D's that went at the higher end of the price range had the recoil starter rope draped across the top of the unit).

Ike

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tend to agree if I had to pick one for stationary standby it would be the MEP-002a , if portability is a concern at a little under 300 pounds there is a lot to be said for the 3KW Yanmar powered MEP-016D even if it is a 3600 rpm screamer, I see having a pull starter is a big benefit.

I certainly agree with your thoughts on the MEP-002A. I picked up a depot rebuilt 002A two years ago. After some minor work, it has served me well ever since. Recently, I began to consider picking up an 003A, or even an 803A, so that I could be sure of adequate power during an outage. One thing that has concerned me greatly though is the jump in diesel consumption when moving up to the 003A. Let's face it, the larger output of the 10 kW units are not always required.

I am starting to consider an altogether different approach to my occasionally wanting more power, based on both my complete happiness with the 002A as an emergency generator and one of Sewerzuk's excellent videos on phasing a pair of these generators together. His phasing arrangement enables the use of one generator when ampacity needs are lower, thus fuel consumption is kept lower, yet higher ampacity can be achieved when necessary.

Thoughts???

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really an 003 is great on fuel as well. At 50% its 1/2 gal hr so it really just picks up where your 002 left off.

OK. This is good information to know. I have never owned the 003A, but figured that the extra cylinders would result in higher fuel consumption even at half the generator output as compared to the 002A at full load. I purchased this 002A a couple of years ago from GL with the specific intention of one day upgrading for more power, but I have been astounded at its power capabilities and its economy with the diesel. It is all food for thought.

tow2gunner

Going down Friday morning to pick them up - Ft Meade opens a lot earlier the New Castle!
Cant wait to get these home and go thru them. Was a toss-up between the 002a and 003a - figured , I have 2 , one to learn on and one to get running (nice if both did!) - and still have less money into it than what they are selling for on the market.

Isaac-1

I picked up the MEP-003a today, overall looks promising (was bought based on blurry GL photos), has a hang tag that says "do not start, no oil , no fuel" dated July 2011 also marked 238th CRG (whoever they were, google search shows one or two references to "CRG's" (none being the 238th) which seem to be air national guard and maybe air force Contingency Response Groups which are rapid deployment (12 hour notice) forces. I do at least know it has not been sitting in storage for decades as one of the fuel pumps is the newer gold one. So far the only real cause of concern I have is a patch of peeling CARC on the generator end behind the filters. It will likely be the weekend at the soonest before I even get it unloaded from my truck (yes it did fit and the tailgate closed with out about 1/2 inch to spare.

Ike

Isaac-1

Well it looks like I got lucky on the fuel tank too, it just has a few small pinpoints of surface rust, plus some chunky stuff in the bottom along with what I would guess is about a quart of JP-8. The fuel fill strainer was stuck in place and coated with scales of some sort of white powdery substance. So it looks like I will likely be pulling the tank and flushing it out before first run even though I suspect the fuel filters would handle this gunk without a second thought. Overall this unit is surprisingly devoid of markings, the only stencils are AUTO 3 in large letters on the side, and G48 on the top of the connection box. No unit markings, none of the usual other stuff, not even a "JP -? or DIESEL FUEL ONLY" Air filter looks mostly clean, no signs of sand, just some light dust. The engine block is a bit greasy and may need to be pressure washed, and the oil cooler may have some weeping points.

Ike

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL labeled the one I got as a 10KW MEP002A!! But it has two exhaust ports and a 003A label, so I bought it anyway.

rickf

I was watching the Del. units and everything there went nuts, now the trailers are doing the same thing! Full moon maybe??? I didn't even watch the truck prices recently.