• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keys?

TenTires

Yo! Anybody install a key start or hidden ignition key or anything like that so as to prevent theift? (Dont know about you guys but sometimes I go to some pretty unsavory places, not to mention sometimes I dont think its safe in my own driveway) :-D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The best thig to do is to install a battery kill switch that is not obvious. After that you could install some kind of touch screen lcd display deal that makes you think your cool. Oh crap, don't kill me Mike.

JasonS

I don't know why keys would be a touchy subject. I installed a key switch from NAPA. Make sure that you get one that doesn't use universal keys.

TenTires

wsucougarx , you want to say it or should I?:razz:
The best thig to do is to install a battery kill switch that is not obvious. After that you could install some kind of touch screen lcd display deal that makes you think your cool. Oh crap, don't kill me Mike.
I guess the only way that you make it to "four star general" is by being a complete a$$hole to someone that has a legitimate question. Im glad to know that I can be a part of a site like this. Hopefully one day I can get the chance to contribute absolutely nothing to somebody's post while at the same time belittling them. That'll make me feel good about myself! Help somebody, nah. Why the hell would I want to do something like that? Let me sit around for hours on my fat ass scanning these posts and writing useless little blurbs to make my post count go up while trying to make them look like an idiot just to prove how much I know about whatever subject it might be, Ill be cool then!! Look, Im a four star general, that means something on this post (while in real life, I imagine you dont have much substance at all) you must do what I say because that means that I know everything there is to be known (doesnt mean I have to share it though;-))! Alas, I guess for me, Ill never make it simply because Im only here to learn and help other people with any info that I might be able to pass along myself. So.....anybody put a key in one of these things or WHAT?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Calm down spanky. My post was to give you what I thought would work best. I then posted a dig to another member. No need to get rialed up. If you are set on getting a key for your column, why post. You should think before you attack. I don't know you enough to attack you, calm down. If your tirade was aimed at someone else, I am sorry, you should be more specific about who made you cry.

Last edited:

bottleworks

Searching the forum will bring you gold, riches, and more. It will also show many, many posts of different security options that people have installed. If you search the Diablo thread, he used a nice start control.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. These guys were trying to help you. Don't expect them to continue with your attitude.
BTW, low production/custom parts like an exact fit/OEM window molding cost a lot more then one for a current model car. New parts for old, big trucks costs more.

Capt.Marion

and a merry xmas to all :wink:
+1

TenTires- There was one heck of a thread on this a while back, I went digging but couldn't seem to find it. I remember someone recommending a Caterpillar 24-Volt keyed shutoff switch. Try punching something like that in search and see if anything comes up.

The rest of you-
Cool off. If you ain't got nuthin' positive to say/contribute, hold it in.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I use a chain around the door handle and the grab handle with a padlock on the drivers side, the combat lock on the passenger side and the standard chain through the steering wheel. It keeps the kids out but if someone is bent on stealing it, theres not much you can do. Cheap and easy.

TenTires

Calm down spanky. My post was to give you what I thought would work best. I then posted a dig to another member. No need to get rialed up. If you are set on getting a key for your column, why post. You should think before you attack. I don't know you enough to attack you, calm down. If your tirade was aimed at someone else, I am sorry, you should be more specific about who made you cry.
Im going to respond to this AFTER Christmas. In the meantime, Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

pc3nmcb

I don't know why keys would be a touchy subject. I installed a key switch from NAPA. Make sure that you get one that doesn't use universal keys.
My post was for key discussions in general, nothing good comes from them. Their are people on this site that hates the keys.

chvss65

Heh TenTires
I found a tractor ignition switch (15 bucks) that Iam gonna use
its a 3 position heavy duty switch and I know any John Deere key will work, but just hope the thief isnt a farmer--Haha
I like the idea just to take the key and its somewhat secure, as we all know anything can be broken into and stolen, all a person has to do is pull start them. No need for a battery at all.
Keys and locks are for honest people anyway. Just so they don't get stupid !!!
And I plan on using the accessory lug to connect to a 24v to 12 volt converter for stuff in the cab.
Sound good, simple and useful to me.

jatonka

I have been using Cole Hersee Master disconnect switches for years in all of my trucks. They are keyed, handle 1000 amps momentary and 200 constantly. I install them under the pass seat, above the battery box on deuces and 5 tons, need one extra cable about 20" long with eylets on each end and the job is done, deters theft, stops unwanted battery drains, doesn't stick out like a sore thumb on your dash. You can get one at Napa for their price, or PM me. John T

ida34

After the response above I was hesitant to post but I will go ahead and do so. I have a lock on my switch that I put a small pad lock on. This is how it came from the military and it is very good at shows to keep people from messing with the power switch. I thought I had a better picture but you can at least see part of it in this picture. The part seen swings over and the bad lock locks it together and clamps the switch in place so it can not move out of the off position.

Attachments

ida34

Before blasting gimpy you should know that he has helped plenty of us on the site by more than just posting advice. I think you took his initial response wrong then you came off the top rope. Think before you post or you may not have someone like gimpy to help you in the future. I can assure you he is a very nice guy that has helped a lot of people that he owed nothing too. He is one of the most stand up guys on the board. I don't think you will find anybody on the board that will dispute this.

Jones

Jeez, is there a full moon out? You east coasters sure seem like an excitable lot.

I came up with a lock-out for the shut-down cable t-handle a while back and gave the forming dies to Polverone. Contact him and see if he's making them to sell. (Also good as a safety lock-out so you don't have an unintentional engine start while you're wrenching away under the hood).
This is the most effective method of protecting your rig as diesels will start with no electricity-- but they sure won't start with no fuel.

From the More-The-Merrier Department;
I'd also recommend a cut-off switch with a removable key for the batteries and a second switch (maybe a toggle switch intentionally mismarked "fog lights" or "marker lights" or something along those lines) in the starter button circuit to keep the engine from cranking.
Some guys remove the "dogbone" between the batteries to interrupt the main batt. circuit.

Chaining the steering wheel to the floor or to the clutch pedal is the prescribed method for in-service vehicles but in my neighborhood that would only get you a steering wheel that's been hack-sawed through. Door locks may also be a consideration.

Face it; you're driving an attention magnet-- kinda like a camo amusement park ride.
I guarantee there's nothing like coming back to your vehicle to find people inside posing for pictures or their kids bouncing up and down in the driver's seat and shaking the steering wheel back and forth as hard as they can. Now THAT'S worth going ballistic over!

A determined thief you'll never stop-- but you can make it so much trouble for them that they move on to easier pickins'.

Merry Christmas

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks