• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keys?

ida34

It would be GREAT if someone started producing the locking bracket shown in Ida34's post...... Hint hint hint nudge nudge nudge...................
It is pretty easy being made out of small angle aluminum. I will take measurements and post some engineering drawings. The only hard part is the rivet for the hinge.

randyscycle

I did a small key switch in a hidden location that interrupts the red start button circuit. That way it may slow someone down a bit, and give them a harder time.

And I have to add: The whole thing of giving folks a hard time about keys is really getting old. Seems it would be easier and more pleasant to just provide an answer, rather than make a production of it, even if it has been asked a lot. I even recall a member having a derogatory key remark in their signature for a while. What a petty thing........

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

SasquatchSanta

Keys are touchy subject here on the site.
WHY!

I've got a keyed battery isolator switch (ref: JT's post) AND a keyed switch on the dash that cuts the juice to the red starter button/switch AND kayed door handles.

The dash switch is a simple installation. Napa will sell you a generic ingition switch --- no problem.

I've been told that in some states if your vehicle is left unlocked (unsecured) and it is stolen the insurance company is off the hook. I'm also told if a kid takes an unsecured vehicle for a joy ride the owner can be held responsible for the damages/liability to other people's property.

pc3nmcb

WHY!

I've got a keyed battery isolator switch (ref: JT's post) AND a keyed switch on the dash that cuts the juice to the red starter button/switch AND kayed door handles.

The dash switch is a simple installation. Napa will sell you a generic ingition switch --- no problem.

I've been told that in some states if your vehicle is left unlocked (unsecured) and it is stolen the insurance company is off the hook. I'm also told if a kid takes an unsecured vehicle for a joy ride the owner can be held responsible for the damages/liability to other people's property.
As I said before I agree it is easy to give answers, but their are some that get upset when the key issue comes up.

Refer to previous post Oh No -- No Key -- Now What Do I Do??

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To really be effective, that should go on the IP. That cable can be by-passed under the hood. Still, looks good!

Jones

Gimpy, I never said it would stop a thief, only slow them down.
Most car thieves work on a very tight schedule. They don't want to spend 5 or 10 minutes figuring out what's keeping a vehicle from starting; they just want to gain access and be on their way.
Besides, if I figured out a way to disable the IP, what's to keep them from hot-wiring a Sikorsky SkyCrane and just airliftiing the vehicle to their chop-shop?

Damn it Jim; I'm a doctor, not a gynecologist...

Matt1970M35A

Ok I dont have a key for mine just a log chain also I turn off the fuel and I keep it in low range this way it will only go 25 mph. I just got a battery dissconect just for safty not sucirty. As far as kids if they are in my truck thin someone must have help them in. Just find the parents ask were their car is and go play with their car or use it as a wheel chock. This work great they will never bother your truck agine. And you must also think of all the service men woh drove theis trucks. IF THEY WONT IT ITS THEIRS. They know how to bypass locks keys and switches. And Id just use a tow truck anyway. Hook up and go.:twisted:

TenTires

I use a chain around the door handle and the grab handle with a padlock on the drivers side, the combat lock on the passenger side and the standard chain through the steering wheel. It keeps the kids out but if someone is bent on stealing it, theres not much you can do. Cheap and easy.
Heh TenTires
I found a tractor ignition switch (15 bucks) that Iam gonna use
its a 3 position heavy duty switch and I know any John Deere key will work, but just hope the thief isnt a farmer--Haha
I like the idea just to take the key and its somewhat secure, as we all know anything can be broken into and stolen, all a person has to do is pull start them. No need for a battery at all.
Keys and locks are for honest people anyway. Just so they don't get stupid !!!
And I plan on using the accessory lug to connect to a 24v to 12 volt converter for stuff in the cab.
Sound good, simple and useful to me.
I have been using Cole Hersee Master disconnect switches for years in all of my trucks. They are keyed, handle 1000 amps momentary and 200 constantly. I install them under the pass seat, above the battery box on deuces and 5 tons, need one extra cable about 20" long with eylets on each end and the job is done, deters theft, stops unwanted battery drains, doesn't stick out like a sore thumb on your dash. You can get one at Napa for their price, or PM me. John T
After the response above I was hesitant to post but I will go ahead and do so. I have a lock on my switch that I put a small pad lock on. This is how it came from the military and it is very good at shows to keep people from messing with the power switch. I thought I had a better picture but you can at least see part of it in this picture. The part seen swings over and the bad lock locks it together and clamps the switch in place so it can not move out of the off position.
Jeez, is there a full moon out? You east coasters sure seem like an excitable lot.

I came up with a lock-out for the shut-down cable t-handle a while back and gave the forming dies to Polverone. Contact him and see if he's making them to sell. (Also good as a safety lock-out so you don't have an unintentional engine start while you're wrenching away under the hood).
This is the most effective method of protecting your rig as diesels will start with no electricity-- but they sure won't start with no fuel.

From the More-The-Merrier Department;
I'd also recommend a cut-off switch with a removable key for the batteries and a second switch (maybe a toggle switch intentionally mismarked "fog lights" or "marker lights" or something along those lines) in the starter button circuit to keep the engine from cranking.
Some guys remove the "dogbone" between the batteries to interrupt the main batt. circuit.

Chaining the steering wheel to the floor or to the clutch pedal is the prescribed method for in-service vehicles but in my neighborhood that would only get you a steering wheel that's been hack-sawed through. Door locks may also be a consideration.

Face it; you're driving an attention magnet-- kinda like a camo amusement park ride.
I guarantee there's nothing like coming back to your vehicle to find people inside posing for pictures or their kids bouncing up and down in the driver's seat and shaking the steering wheel back and forth as hard as they can. Now THAT'S worth going ballistic over!

A determined thief you'll never stop-- but you can make it so much trouble for them that they move on to easier pickins'.

Merry Christmas
I did a small key switch in a hidden location that interrupts the red start button circuit. That way it may slow someone down a bit, and give them a harder time.

And I have to add: The whole thing of giving folks a hard time about keys is really getting old. Seems it would be easier and more pleasant to just provide an answer, rather than make a production of it, even if it has been asked a lot. I even recall a member having a derogatory key remark in their signature for a while. What a petty thing........

Oh, and Merry Christmas!
WHY!

Here's my lock-out set-up.
Polverone (Gary Berg) has the forming dies to make the metal "U" channel.
To really be effective, that should go on the IP. That cable can be by-passed under the hood. Still, looks good!
Ok I dont have a key for mine just a log chain also I turn off the fuel and I keep it in low range this way it will only go 25 mph. I just got a battery dissconect just for safty not sucirty. As far as kids if they are in my truck thin someone must have help them in. Just find the parents ask were their car is and go play with their car or use it as a wheel chock. This work great they will never bother your truck agine. And you must also think of all the service men woh drove theis trucks. IF THEY WONT IT ITS THEIRS. They know how to bypass locks keys and switches. And Id just use a tow truck anyway. Hook up and go.:twisted:
Now THATS what Im talking about! All these are very good suggestions and provide a meaningful solution to a potential problem (some JERK stealing your pride and joy!). Thank you very much, all and as soon as I figure out what exactly I'M going to do, Ill make a tech post about it.:-D

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess the only way that you make it to "four star general" is by being a complete a$$hole to someone that has a legitimate question. Im glad to know that I can be a part of a site like this. Hopefully one day I can get the chance to contribute absolutely nothing to somebody's post while at the same time belittling them. That'll make me feel good about myself! Help somebody, nah. Why the hell would I want to do something like that? Let me sit around for hours on my fat ass scanning these posts and writing useless little blurbs to make my post count go up while trying to make them look like an idiot just to prove how much I know about whatever subject it might be, Ill be cool then!! Look, Im a four star general, that means something on this post (while in real life, I imagine you dont have much substance at all) you must do what I say because that means that I know everything there is to be known (doesnt mean I have to share it though;-))! Alas, I guess for me, Ill never make it simply because Im only here to learn and help other people with any info that I might be able to pass along myself. So.....anybody put a key in one of these things or WHAT?

Less Oprah, more Mail Call

otisroy

WHY!

Sasquatch, I've heard the same thing. I was outside locking the chain on the steering wheel the night I picked up the M35 and I figured I'd rivet the hasp on the door later since it was getting cold and dark. Well, my Mother-in-law was standing there and told me a story about a friend who made a habit of leaving her keys in the ignition when she ran into the house if she thought she'd be leaving again soon. Someone took off with her car and was in a wreck. The infamous "They" people held her responsible for damages.

On another note, I can't believe that our society has become warped enough to hold someone responsible for a criminal's actions. I'd think due diligence is what's required. If you take reasonable theft prevention measures, then any halfway decent lawyer should be able to defend you. Of course that's no consolation for having your $h!t stolen.

ida34

One thing I have not seen brought up is a locking door handle. Both deuce doors lock by pushing the handle the opposite way from the way it opens. Someone in the past has installed a key lock handle that replaced the regular door handle. Easier to get around than a hidden switch but it has the added bonus of keeping people out to the truck cab. Some have just went to a hardware store and gotten a garage door replacement handle and some have went other routes such as locking handles from camping stores. I did a search and found a few threads but this one has a good write up with pictures by Ryan.

Link to locking door handle thread

TenTires

Chuck, Opcom(Patrick) has a good write up about the dead bolt in a door project.
One thing I have not seen brought up is a locking door handle. Both deuce doors lock by pushing the handle the opposite way from the way it opens. Someone in the past has installed a key lock handle that replaced the regular door handle. Easier to get around than a hidden switch but it has the added bonus of keeping people out to the truck cab. Some have just went to a hardware store and gotten a garage door replacement handle and some have went other routes such as locking handles from camping stores. I did a search and found a few threads but this one has a good write up with pictures by Ryan.

Link to locking door handle thread
Good info!

ida34

Chuck, Opcom(Patrick) has a good write up about the dead bolt in a door project.
I saw that but for my tastes I do not like the hole in the cab. Some other posts were put up about different locks for the engine kill cable if that is a route 10 wants to take. I think Jones posted on this.

CurryRA

Just a note from the "they" people.....I work as a road deputy out here in WA state. I know laws differ somewhat from state to state but I've never heard of a victim being responsible for damages done while someone is joyriding/committing crimes in a stolen vehicle. There are many, many people who end up getting their vehicles stolen where I work because they (1) leave them unlocked, (2) leave them running with the keys in them or (3 and my favorite) leave the keys on the seat or the dashboard where an opportunistic person can use them.

In fact, I was involved in a case awhile back where several juveniles stole a car (unlocked) and then struck several other cars/went joyriding before being stopped by us. When everything was said and done in court, both the driver and front seat passenger were convicted of stealing the car and sentanced. Never was it brought up to charge the owner of the car for leaving it unlocked and ripe for stealing.

Although.....several years ago, a burglar won a civil trial after he injured himself while burglarizing an elderly woman's home. Does that make sense?

What other foks have said is true; if someone wants your ride bad enough, they will get it. Just my 2 cents but If a person wants to spend money on an anti theft/recovery device, spend your money on a LoJack system. I know, I know, that would be fairly ridiculous installed on a Deuce but the system really does work. For those who aren't familiar with them they are a small transmitter about the size of a a pack of cigarettes. The LoJack dealers/installers place them in different areas throughout vehicles and they are very hard to find. When a vehicle is stolen, we request that the transmitter be turned on by LoJack. Last time I did this it took less than 10 minutes for it to start producing the signal. Most police cruisers have a reciever installed in them which works more or less like a direction finder. The closer you get to an activated transmitter (stolen vehicle) the stronger the signal gets on your reciever.

Our air unit is also equipped with a reciever and on the last stolen car I was involved in the vehicle was recoverd within 30 minutes of being stolen parked about 1/2 mile away. The air unit located it within minutes of getting to the area. It may sound strange that it was parked so close to where it was stolen from but it is not uncommon for thieves to return to it later and move it to where they actually want to get it to. Another thing to note about this incident was that officers from surrounding jurisdictions had come into our area (not by request) following the LoJack signal. Our radio channels are seperate so they had no idea we were actively working the recovery. It just goes to show that the LoJack system really does what it's supposed to do. Unlike some older systems, LoJack will even transmit out of underground parking garages through all the concrete. Like I said earlier, they won't prevent the vehicle from being taken but with one installed it is HIGHLY LIKELY you will get the vehicle back. I believe the recovery rate is somewhere around 80-90%

OK, I'm ready. Bring on the laughter and joking about putting something that sophisticated in a Deuce ;-)