• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS 465 1a rebuild or repower ?

My 67 m52A2 mulitifuel engine has always had lots of blow by but really did not use any oil till the last time out .Them it lost power burned 1 1/2 gallons of oil from the exhaust and from the blow by tube . this truck seat about 20 years when the Forest Service had it so I think it my have had some weak piston rings .I could repair this engine or should I repower with a better engine more power and better fuel millage ?

Heath_h49008

The question I have to ask is:

What do you have ability, location, tools and support wise to do either? If you don't have a way to handle a full engine, you choice is made. If you do, canned engines and take outs might be cheaper and faster, with the added benefit of your old engine becoming spare parts.

Good luck and take lots of pics!

I have tools and equipment to do either .I priced used take outs for about $3000 with shipping over $4000 If I pull my engine out I would replace all liners and pistons and have the injector pump checked or rebuilt and the turbo rebuilt so that my be close to the price of the take out engine but at least I know what I have .

Heath_h49008

True... but after the price of the rebuild you have 1 engine... If the price of the complete take out is $4000 (I think better deals can be had) And your rebuild is $3000... parts, shipping, time, etc... Going the complete engine route scores you a spare engine for $1000, and gets the job done faster.

I'll look back to find the new-in-the-can LDSs that were advertised recently. I think they were about $3000 on the high end... I have seen take outs MUCH cheaper.

myJEEPisAfatty

If it were Me I would just go ahead and rebuild it. I wouldn't want to spend the money on a "NEW" engine and still have the chance that the joe shmoe who put it together did a sloppy job. If you do it yourself you know it will be put together "correctly"

but that is just me personally, I love rebuilding engines especially since the Lds uses liners you shouldn't have to remove the engine with all of it's 1,600 lbs or girth.

-Cj

wdbtchr

I've done it both ways and I have to say I prefer building my own engines. I've just seen too many knucklehead engines slopped together by people to lazy or cheap to do it right.2cents

resqur

Topo,
Give Brad a call at 209-810-2311. He is in McKenna WA. I got a good take out LDS for $1500. I was able to get it to Vegas with the help of some people on this site.

Rich

Thank you all for your information and advice I have a engine manual on the way and will work on pulling the engine and tearing it down as winter project . kenny

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I had a fellow call me today looking for an LDS to go in a road tractor.

His was ran without oil and locked up....prob not a candidate for a rebuild.

If anyone close has canned engines or good take outs send me a PM.

I pulled the exhaust manifold and checked the ports all but # 2 cylinder where dry #2 was wet with oil I pulled the head and found a cracked piston on #2 . I turned the crank to look for cylinder wall damage there was none but the liners pushed up I pushed them back down they are snug but shouldn't they be tight ? has anyone else ran in to loose liners ?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Liners are a slip fit, cranking the engine over without the heads on pushes them up. Careful, if they go up too far, the piston rings come out of the liner.

Who has oversize liners? I may need one.

I plan to pull the piston and liner to day .this is the cracked piston . I may pull a piston and liner from another engine to run for now . thanks for all the information Kenny

Attachments

m816

We rebuilt mine in frame.Parts ran around two thousand bucks. We added a pyro to it to keep me honest and prevent melting pistons in the future. The truck has an overdrive trans but now it runs only about 2100 in high and feels like a dog. I liked it better when I didn't know how hot it was. could go about 70 MPH until she cooked the engine. Now I'm slow but I guess I will be slow for a long time to come.:whistle:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the link Jason. I just figured once the engine was running, the liners would expand to the block. Unless the liners are loose enough to feel some play. At .005 oversize, they must be boring/honing the block out a little to fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks