• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light work before the rally ( engine & trans swap + overdrive kit)

Jeepsinker

As some of you know I've been chasing a lack of power issue with my current engine for a while now, and I don't trust it to make the rally and back. Today I started the transplant. I installed the waterloo overdrive kit into a N.O.S transmission that I've had for a while now, and also installed the new front bearing retainer and seal that I had machined ( yes Gerhard, the test starts now!) I swung the trans over and installed it on the back of a surprisingly fresh LDS that I just finished replacing all of the coolant hoses on with silicone hoses. Removed, inspected, and cleaned the clutch and flywheel. I was going to install a new rear main but found out I didn't have the retainer gasket. It isn't leaking now, we'll see how long it lasts. Installed a new water pump, new belts too. Started pulling the old drivetrain but it isn't out yet. More tomorrow.
I plan to leave on the 17th, and no later than the 18th. So we'll see if I can still work like I used to. I've found that being down for so long I sort of lost my drive. Hard to get back in the saddle, especially when you aren't 100%.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As some of you know I've been chasing a lack of power issue with my current engine for a while now, and I don't trust it to make the rally and back. Today I started the transplant. I installed the waterloo overdrive kit into a N.O.S transmission that I've had for a while now, and also installed the new front bearing retainer and seal that I had machined ( yes Gerhard, the test starts now!) I swung the trans over and installed it on the back of a surprisingly fresh LDS that I just finished replacing all of the coolant hoses on with silicone hoses. Removed, inspected, and cleaned the clutch and flywheel. I was going to install a new rear main but found out I didn't have the retainer gasket. It isn't leaking now, we'll see how long it lasts. Installed a new water pump, new belts too. Started pulling the old drivetrain but it isn't out yet. More tomorrow.
I plan to leave on the 17th, and no later than the 18th. So we'll see if I can still work like I used to. I've found that being down for so long I sort of lost my drive. Hard to get back in the saddle, especially when you aren't 100%.
Sir, we have a different opinion of what light work is! Hope ya get things done by the 17th! Good Luck and Smooth Sailing!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the story with that front bearing retainer or more specifically, the seal? Also, as a public service message, just because your deuce will go 75 MPH doesn't mean you should. LOL

Jeepsinker

Motor is out! Most of the things that needed to be transferred from one motor to the other ( spin on filters) are done. Just the alternator left to swap, then back in with it. Throttle connector pin at the injector pump was almost worn through! I decreased and pressure washed everything I could get to with the engine out. Man did it need it!

Attachments

Rmtaunton

She will run and that LDS will be the best uprade to an already deuce that has done probably more miles in the past few years than 99 percent of us

I hope everything's going well I did mine with my 11 year olds help and he was a huge help.If your feeling froggy add a nylon fan best 20$ I ever spent on my LDS.I hope to see more pics good luck and be safe.

Jeepsinker

Well, no luck today... got the drivetrain in and all hooked up only to find out that the button has popped off of the hydraulic head again... more work for me tomorrow. Looks like I may have to push my departure date another day. Really disappointing that it didn't fire right up. I've already done that repair to this engine on the stand once.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks