• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light work before the rally ( engine & trans swap + overdrive kit)

Jeepsinker

Well it looks like it screwed me anyway. Got it running and it didn't make five miles. Missing and popping and won't move itself in first gear low range. Ran fine at the house. Acts like something hung up in the governor. I haven't been so disappointed in a long time. This is stupid.

Jeepsinker

Is it bad when the turbo exhaust housing is glowing? I really hope I didn't melt a piston or something. All the seals were still on the injector pump and I didn't mess with the fuel settings.

I've done the swap twice once with gimpy and this one solo.If you have one of those mini cameras you might be able to inspect the pistons that way but it sounds like to much fuel.I'd also look to see if any valves might be getting ready to drop is retainers letting go.

Jeepsinker

HH is fine. It ran alright for a few miles, then gave up the ghost. The button was still on it when I pulled it this morning. It was just hard to get it to start the first time, and easy after that. Now ithat won't start without a whiff of brake cleaner and it won't idle without pedal input, and it eventually dies anyway.

Jeepsinker

Just odd how it ran ok, then would bog for a minute, then clear up, then bog, and clear up, then it died and won't run properly anymore. The HH could be a tooth off I guess, but I wouldn't think that would make it act this way.

Just check to make sure you didn't damage the turbo or melt a piston glowing hot is not good for the seals or bearings would hate to see ya have a failure to or from the rally.I have some used injectors if you need them.I know your under time constraints. If ya do need them later let me know just pay to ship them.

Jeepsinker

Same fuel my old engine was running on three days ago. I drained all three filters on the side of the road and got nothing but clean fuel out. Had good fuel pressure, 30 psi idle and up to 80 under acceleration. Then it just started acting stupid. I really feel like something is hung up in the governor. I may pour a gallon of kerosene in with the oil and spin it over for a minute to circulate it into the injector pump and see if it'll free it up after sitting a while. I didn't want to have to work on this motor. It is so clean, almost like it was never ran. No oil seeps, no peeling paint, no rusty anything anywhere. Very clean inside too. I pulled the FDC on the side of the road to see if the linkage in there was free, and it was. Pulled the shutoff cover and it was all free. Tried to crank it with the shutoff cover off and still no luck. Got a ride home and went back with the M936 and just drug it home. Plenty of smoke when I'm cranking it, and it tries to start, then the smoke will stop and if I keep cranking it will come and go, but won't fire and run unless I spray some brake cleaner in the air filter.

Jeepsinker

Could be clogged injectors. There was quite a bit of rust on the line fittings at the HH when I pulled it this morning. Some of it may have made its way into some injector lines and up to the injectors. I tried to be careful to clean it well but sometimes things like that just can't be helped. We'll see tomorrow. Changing injectors and putting fresh fuel in is first on my list.

Jeepsinker

How would I go about checking to see if my HH was one tooth off if I wanted to? Once you bump the starter the index from removing it is gone. I know it shouldn't be able to go in a tooth off, but I also know that they can anyway.

Jeepsinker

Well I lined up the timing mark on the balancer and the pointer under the four bolt cover on the governor housing, and the hh is indeed a tooth off. I sure hope that solves my problem.