• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Air Conditioner

Guruman

Not so new member
catch 22, by the time you pay for new tube bent etc. to make room. you have paid more money that what Tom Baur @m-35tom from above sells.

Yes, but at least it's possible to have tube bent to make it work. I've been looking for weeks and nobody actually has had the parts in stock. Who knows if they ever really will. At least if this bracket shows up, I think it could be made to work. If I wait for the other bracket and never get it, it'll never work.

@m-35tom let me know when you get them.

As for the pulley, the last one posted on here bought from Cat was $188, I think. I was surprised to even find it available.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Yes, but at least it's possible to have tube bent to make it work. I've been looking for weeks and nobody actually has had the parts in stock. Who knows if they ever really will. At least if this bracket shows up, I think it could be made to work. If I wait for the other bracket and never get it, it'll never work.

@m-35tom let me know when you get them.

As for the pulley, the last one posted on here bought from Cat was $188, I think. I was surprised to even find it available.
I have all the parts for A/C on LMTV, just not all at the same time! Should have brackets in 2-3 weeks, have wiring harness now and condensers now (3 each)

Guruman

Not so new member
I have all the parts for A/C on LMTV, just not all at the same time! ...<snip>
That must drive you crazy.

I "think" what I've decided is to get the front drive components sorted, then I think I'll give a custom HVAC box a whack. I'm hoping to remove the stock unit, and build a custom (likely larger) metal box that holds a vintageaire (or similar) heat-air-defrost unit, which would also give me the ability to work other custom touches into the "box" An inset place for entertainment/communication/navigation/cameras perhaps. Cupholders? Small locking storage area? Maybe delete my vision blocking defrost duct for something different? Lots of possibilities there, I think.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered it a while back at end of November along with all the other parts and that's the last piece I am waiting for you to send me. I've got the pulley and a new fan installed already and started working on the condenser. I can't wait to drive it with AC this summer!

Rick

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
So, the a/c compressor mount I posted above came in, and it is a RedDOT part. What would RedDot have made that fit a compressor on a 3116/3126/c7 that was not the "correct" 2 part mount?

Being a RedDOT part makes me a bit less anxious about using it should I not be able to lay hands on the 2 part mount.
1645291802085.png

coachgeo

So, the a/c compressor mount I posted above came in, and it is a RedDOT part. What would RedDot have made that fit a compressor on a 3116/3126/c7 that was not the "correct" 2 part mount?

Being a RedDOT part makes me a bit less anxious about using it should I not be able to lay hands on the 2 part mount.
View attachment 859371
Red Dot was likely involved in design or makes the mounts for the FMTV's too. They make things according to individual needs of the fleet of truck's design

coachgeo

Red Dot makes A/C parts for MANY civilian trucks also and most of those trucks are not designed to be used off road or in the rough conditions as the military so the mounts do not need to be as strong.
lol... you might have just pointed out an advantage. with this one he just bought NOT as potentially strong..... maybe IT will crack first..... where on FMTV's they are good and strong and parts of engine crack first :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Guruman

Not so new member
I've been beating Jeeps off-road for close to 40 years now. Bashed them on rocks, made a few airborne, mud, sand, trees, water... I even rolled one.

Never broke a Jeep A/C mount.

My lmtv will never be airborne (unless thrown out of a plane) or (hopefully rolled over).

Also, I think my local interstate potholes dish out more real punishment than anything.

Third From Texas

View attachment 859371
Just curious if this one uses the same driver-side mounting location or if it slings off the passenger side.

I've seen both used on LMTVs (the later being quite common in civilian CAT engines).

Guruman

Not so new member
Just curious if this one uses the same driver-side mounting location or if it slings off the passenger side.

I've seen both used on LMTVs (the later being quite common in civilian CAT engines).
Neither.

It's drivers side, but higher than the 2 part mount. I twill likely require moving the charge air piping to make room for the compressor. There's a diagram in post #495

Third From Texas

Anyone have the NSN for the gen2 military evaporator unit? I'm sure it's buried in here somewhere but I gave up searching for it because both "nsn" and "air" are too short and all of my results are garbage.
It will have to be someone in the midst of collecting bits for the install.

The guys here sitting on hundreds of these units do NOT want you to do what you're about to do.

;)

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For anyone that is curious - the FMTV cab AC evaporator/heater unit cost the US Army $2713 per unit.

NSN: 4130-01-562-6391 COOLER UNIT, AIR

Last edited:

Third From Texas

For anyone that is curious - the FMTV cab AC evaporator/heater unit cost the US Army $2713 per unit.

NSN: 4130-01-562-6391 COOLER UNIT, AIR
Not surprising.

Yet the exact same components in the civilian unit are half that even today (at FULL retail).

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very similar. And not that far off from the $1550 shipped I paid for the correct cab unit. They have gone up this year and as we get closer to summer..... it's a supply and demand thing. That RedDot unit may be $600 cheaper than current asking price for the military unit but the supply likely outstrips the demand. That's kinda my point - yeah it might cost a *bit* more but for correct fitment it's negligible when you consider the additional labor in moving existing holes in the cab, adapting wiring, etc. And throw in that I would like it to have the stock appearance...... no brainer for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks