• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking Differential

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am just wondering, just what sort of real improvement would the locker bring?

How come the military did not want one?
My guess is that tire chains were an option that bring superior traction even when lockers fail, such as icy, slippery conditions when both sides spin.
Also, we drive mostly with an empty truck bed. Check out Aberdeen vintage videos, where the vehicles are loaded to the max, which also contributes to much better traction. I can see why the need for lockers may be rare and not specified when the trucks were procured...

Edit: Airing down is another option that adds a lot of traction.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hm. Even my Ford LNT9000 semi tractor has a cab operated differential locker.
I'm thinking you truck has a power divider where just the rear axle has power till you flip the switch then the forward rear is locked to the rear axle. You still have open rear diffs. in both rear axles.

I drive my USMC M817 with DD lockers and don't have any problems. I can chew up the grass in a turn but on the road I make wide turns and try to drift around turns without adding power if I can. Outher than that I don't even know they are there till I hit the mud then look out here I come.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWD used a air/hydraulic locker in Rockwells . They they have a clutch pack similar to automatic transmissions and a air operated master cylinder to engage them . The one problem they have is when the seals go in the master cylinder it dumps brake fluid into the rearend.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a friend that has a Navy M923A1 and it has lockers in it. There is a data plate on the door about them.
You sure can tell it has lockers when your turning also.

Iggy913

So did anyone actually find a locker of either type, selectable or old school Detroit available for these 5 ton axles? The link a few threads back was for a 2.5 Ton Rockwell Axle not our 5 Tons.

To anyone who is on the fence about them, if you have the money and use your truck offroad I guarantee you will see a huge difference with the lockers. I had an old Jeep that I put lockers in before I made any other upgrades and it would go places guys with big tires and open axles couldn't. The lockers don't affect street manners much, of course I'm only refering to my experience with my smaller/lighter vehicles. That being said I might refrain from putting in a front locker unless it was selectable since you can't unlock the hubs. I'd also be curious just how much turning radius you loose with lockers in both rear axles, the truck might really fight itself around a corner.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Detroit NoSPIN lockers are readily available. Many 5 tons USMC trucks had them although I think there was a work order to remove them from semi tractors.

ichudov

Sorry for a dumb, unrelated question. My main driving vehicle is a Chevy Silverado 3/4ton pickup with 4WD.When I switch to 4WD,steering becomes more difficultand wheels tend to grab the road.Is it correct that it means that it has locking differentials?

jwaller

I have the detroits in my 818 and think the world of them. They are awesome. Just trying turning around on turf. It will literally turn it into mulch, they are fantastic.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for a dumb, unrelated question. My main driving vehicle is a Chevy Silverado 3/4ton pickup with 4WD.When I switch to 4WD,steering becomes more difficultand wheels tend to grab the road.Is it correct that it means that it has locking differentials?
We should probably refer to them as unlocking differentials as they are normally locked and then unlock in turns as long as you aren't under power.

The issue you refer to is a normal side effect of using 4wd on a hard surface. The front and rear axles travel through a different arc and subsequently cover a different distance. When in 4wd they are locked together via the transfer case. Well, something has to give so you end up with tire scuffing and suspension wind up which is what you feel.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ichudov;1420541.Is it correct that it means that it has locking differentials?[/QUOTE said:
I would say no you are just putting it in four wheel drive and you would still have open diffs. so in the wrong place you are just a two wheel drive machine. The best thing with open diff. is to keep the machine level side to side now with locking diffs both wheels have power to them so offf level use is no problem. If an air locker or DD locker is used in the front axle then you would need locking/unlocking hubs.

jaxsof

Richmond no-slip and Detroit/Eaton No-spin are similar, but not the same. And the $488 is for a 2-1/2 ton, not a 5. The 5's are available from eaton for about $850. The No-Slip, while being similar have better manners. There are selectable lockers available for 5-ton Rockwells, if you can get to Norway. One of our members in east Texas had a set of 3 for sale at one time. Really not tat hard to make, just machine a sleeve to ride on the axle, and selectively engage the side gear to the carrier.

I have used the no-slip in a 1-ton, and a jeep, and prefer them to the Detroit. Don't care for the ratchet sound and feel of the Detroit. Just trying to be of assistance.

Still waiting on those front locking hubs!

DodgerRoger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to put this out there, I know it is not really 100% on topic but the power divider in an over the road truck splits the torque equally between the two rear ends. When unlocked a power divider will put the power to the path of least resistance be it the front or the rear, when locked it will put the power to the front and rear equally. I have heard this more times than I can count and until I went to work rebuilding rear ends I thought the same thing.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=DodgerRoger but the power divider in an over the road truck splits the torque equally between the two rear ends. When unlocked a power divider will put the power to the path of least resistance be it the front or the rear, when locked it will put the power to the front and rear equally.

Yes that statment says it better.

frogman2

Any updates on the possibility of ARB's for the 5 tons?I've ran about every locker/posi I could find and stuck with the Detroit Truetrac in all my non-mv vehicles,none of the bad habits of a Locker on wet/icy conditions and will not break your hand in a front application,best of both worlds imho,since detroit makes these as well they may be a more feasible option or have a better chance of being built,just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks