• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at purchasing a mep generator online

psu927

Well I sourced a spring and my patience for my gaskets that got lost in the mail is gone so I used my new filters and the old gaskets on the fuel filters and started her up. Started in about 15 seconds and seems to run great. Oil pressure gauge is pegged wondering if that's normal? I set it at 60 hertz and when the voltage adjustment was down the whole way the voltage read 220 volts. I am guessing I was at 3/4 throttle. Does that sound normal? was pretty rough when I first started her but smoothed out pretty fast. Thought that was good considering its 20 degrees here

Rapracing

My oil pressure is high (60lb) but drops to about 40 - 45lb after a few minutes.

60hz should put you at 1800 RPM. Not sure where that puts you on % of throttle. I normally set mine at 61-62hz and with a big load it will drop a little. Sometimes as low as 59- 59.5

You want to turn voltage up to 240

roofconsult

You would want to have the voltage running at 240. The gauges on these machines aren't too accurate. Get a good multimeter and use it to set Hz and Voltage. An easy place to tap in for a voltage reading is at the convenience outlet. You should set the machine to 120 volts there.
Glad it cranked......at 20 degrees you could not expect an instant start and run.
Happy generating:)

psu927

Yeah I just went and messed with it a little and put the voltage at 240 and hertz at 61 and started my miter saw off of the convenience outlet. She barks a little and the hertz dropped to 55 or so but she came right up. I gotta get a load bank setup and run her through her paces next week I guess.

3rdaavbn

I won a Mep003 from GL. In the pictures everything was intact. When I picked it up, it did not even have an injection pump. Preview first, or don't bid. imho.

10Lugger

Yeah I just went and messed with it a little and put the voltage at 240 and hertz at 61 and started my miter saw off of the convenience outlet. She barks a little and the hertz dropped to 55 or so but she came right up. I gotta get a load bank setup and run her through her paces next week I guess.
Congratulations on the start up. When I started ours, I told my 6 yr son to get back a little. (he hid behind a skid steer). When it fired off, he came out and gave me a high five. When I showed the wife the second start up, I went up for high five and she left me hanging with a tilted head and furrowed brow. She just didn't get it. :)

Rapracing

Glad to hear its running and making power

Thats a huge drop for a miter saw. No expert here but from what I've read here I believe it needs the governor adjusted??
re ally the only time mine drops enough to see it is my water pump starting, the dryer, an A/C or something similar. Otherwise it is probably less than 1/2 hz drop

3rdaavbn

Congratulations on the start up. When I started ours, I told my 6 yr son to get back a little. (he hid behind a skid steer). When it fired off, he came out and gave me a high five. When I showed the wife the second start up, I went up for high five and she left me hanging with a tilted head and furrowed brow. She just didn't get it. :smile:
I feel your pain!

psu927

My miter saw is a large dewalt 15 amp saw. And It only drops 3-4 hertz. I did have another question, when I start it and after it starts and I hold the switch to let it build oil pressure I can still hear the starter engaged. (grinding) Normal?

Rapracing

No, not normal.
I think he's talking about holding the start switch in start position until it builds oil pressure. If so, mine tries to engage until I let off on the start after building oil pressure so yes that would be normal I believe.

I would monitor the hz drop when you get a load on it. Dropping 3 to 4 hz with the miter saw still sounds a bit extreme. You may find it is a lot more when you get it loaded up. I believe they call it "hunting". Your generator is "hunting":p

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Jonathan said, the grinding is NOT normal.

Having to hold the switch until you build oil pressure is the standard operation, but after the engine fires and comes up to RPM (not necessarily oil pressure yet) the starter should disengage via the starter lockout switch. It is located right beside your oil filter housing, under the cover held on by the wing nut. The adjustment procedure is in the TM, and has been covered in the forum many many times. A little search and you'll have more information about it than you need.

TucsonVTXF

I had grinding and tried to adjust my old lock out switch to no avail so I bought a new on from the big auction site and it fixed the issue.

psu927

Just an update I put a 100% load on her and adjusted the droop and got her pretty good. (drops 1-2 hertz at 100% load) also doesn't drop nearly as much with the saw. The DC charging system was not working but it was just a blown fuse. Running for about half an hour so far at 100% load.

As far as the starter grinding, I may have just been holding it too long. It seems to be fine. I mean if I try to engage the starter with the motor running it grinds. Just like a car would.

Jimc

the starter should not engage if the engine is running. there is an auto cutout switch behind a small cover over next to the oil filter. that will need some adjustment or looking into. your supposed to be able to turn the switch to start while its running so you can flash the field.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks