• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Rear disc Brakes

Alucard-HD

Anyone swap rear disc brakes on the M1008/M1028? I saw ORD's rear disc brake kit. it was a good price and it uses chevy 3/4 ton front calipers and rotors. Just wondering if it was worth it.

84cucv1ton

looking to do the same.. never saw a kit like that.was told you can do it yourself for about half the price of that kit. the brackets i found where 45 to your door. will put a link up when i find it

Alucard-HD

looking to do the same.. never saw a kit like that.was told you can do it yourself for about half the price of that kit. the brackets i found where 45 to your door. will put a link up when i find it
Cool, thanks man. ORD wanted 140 for the brakets.

Alucard-HD

Yea, i agree. They have a good cross over steering kit too. thats 450 lol, when using a dana 60 anyway

84cucv1ton

yes i have cross over and high steer from them. both new. bought and never used. get some good deal that way.. i have there flip too. a friend of mine that fabricates. just starting making a flip kit. if i get some pics i will show you, really simple kit and no rivets to deal with.

86M10086.2L

Looks like a nice setup, but I think it would be a little nicer to use more current calipers and rotors, unless thats what GM used on the first disc brake trucks. Thats on my list to do after the injection pump gets rebuilt.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone make a kit using the same calipers and pads as the dana 60 in the front? It would be nice to use the same pads on the front or back.

Alucard-HD

Does anyone make a kit using the same calipers and pads as the dana 60 in the front? It would be nice to use the same pads on the front or back.
I agree, i think only 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers and rotors work with these kits

Whitfield

How well do these stop using the stock MC and proportioning valve???

My Learnings on rear disk swap with 4wd Toyota:
Master cylinder piston displacement volume to wheel cylinder piston volume is a precise calculation to get the leverage ratio correct. With smaller import 4wd's we needed to switch the Master cylinder as well to attain proper pedal height / feel since the larger rear caliper piston requires more volume.

Smaller MC piston = More leverage / less throw. Kind of like hydro reduction gearing.

A late model HD rear disk MC with the matching rear disk calipers and proportion valve would be the best solution.

Next best would be to try to match correct OEM caliper piston size to the correct OEM application MC piston size.