• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009- from forgotten to restored, my story

jdknech

Just ah suggestion. Your going to want to coat the inside of that cross member with some rust preventative coating. And also it looks like you haven't drilled any holes in order to spot weld to that cross member. http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fr...ode=ga220010&gclid=CI-S_sTX3MICFcvm7AodTVYAeA This stuff comes with ah 24" tube so you can insert it inside frame. Once inside it sprays like a sprinkler converting all the rust and coating everything with paint.
That's some cool stuff! I might have to give that a shot.. Thanks! Also, any reason I would want to plug weld over welding from the bottom?

cucvrus

You will get better weld adhesion from a top plug weld that is on the flange of the support brackets. Verses over head welding on the edges. I would rather weld on the flat verses overhead anytime. Wear ear plugs unless you like red hot sparks cooking out your ear drums and burnt into your ear canal. Happy Holidays. And do they make the center floor piece or not?

jdknech

You will get better weld adhesion from a top plug weld that is on the flange of the support brackets. Verses over head welding on the edges. I would rather weld on the flat verses overhead anytime. Wear ear plugs unless you like red hot sparks cooking out your ear drums and burnt into your ear canal. Happy Holidays. And do they make the center floor piece or not?
Thanks for the advice, I will go with the plug welds.. And I have not seen a center floor piece listed for sale anywhere, so I'm assuming they don't make it.. And merry Christmas to you as well!

cucvrus

Hey make a floor support out of 3/16" 2 x 2 angle. It will be stronger and last longer then what was the OEM floor support. Put a couple in. Make it extra strong. The seat area was never that strong. Make it as strong as you like. Now is the time to add the supports. Cut and grind them to fit perfect and weld them on. Try to get them under the seat / seat belt anchors so you can also bolt thru them to add strength. Good Luck with your project and Merry Christmas.

jdknech

Well, I didn't forget about this, but my daily driver decided it wanted to spin a couple rod bearings, so that kinda takes priority.. 99 5.9 cummins 24 valve.. It's much bigger looking outside the truck then in
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421041081.304178.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421041100.310420.jpg

jdknech

Well, I wish I would stop raining long enough for me to shoot some paint on the old beast,
I did get the top painted with Behr home premium paint, and it turned out awesome!!
I pulled it out long enough to set the top on it, and tomorrow I will start taping and covering everything so I can hopefully shoot paint next week..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429329473.058286.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429329485.048395.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks