• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am, thank you. Feeling stronger every day. Keeping busy outside in the cold with firewood and trailers that I bought. I learned a lot about the M1102 / M1101 trailers and trailer chassis. Looking forward to advance on this Little Red as soon as Spring arrives.
I bet the firewood is burning a good bit right now as cold as it has been!! I just bought a 1101 a few weeks ago...it has the bows but not the triangles that they go in to mount them...need a cover too, other than that it's a nice one!! LMK if you need wood split...got a teen that loves to swing an axe!

Last edited:

cucvrus

It was a long hard struggle after 2 weeks and a few minor and a few major projects I was forced inside because of rain. I managed to get my shop cleaned up and all my tools accounted for and put away. I managed to sweep and blow everything off and get the project unburied from using it for a storage area during the past 7 months. DSCF8472.JPG I hope that bright reflection is all the problems leaving me and the barn. I have my nice red oak floorboards on the floor. I need to get a helper to get that 14 ft stuff put away. I am placing it upstairs. It was an error order and have to find use for it. DSCF8473.JPG Nice and clean again. DSCF8474.JPG DSCF8476.JPG DSCF8477.JPG I think I will tear all the tape and plastic off the body. I don't trust tape that has been on the surface that long. DSCF8477.JPG I also have a clean work bench and managed to vacuum all the crevasses out and blow the shelves clean. I sharpened my 3 chain saws after a hard week of use getting a big tree down that was damaged during a passing storm. I have another one that needs to come down. I think I will wait till next winter. Take Care. The supply chain is still being affected by world events and that makes Saturday work mandatory. Take Care and Be Safe. DSCF8478.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It was a long hard struggle after 2 weeks and a few minor and a few major projects I was forced inside because of rain. I managed to get my shop cleaned up and all my tools accounted for and put away. I managed to sweep and blow everything off and get the project unburied from using it for a storage area during the past 7 months. View attachment 866831 I hope that bright reflection is all the problems leaving me and the barn. I have my nice red oak floorboards on the floor. I need to get a helper to get that 14 ft stuff put away. I am placing it upstairs. It was an error order and have to find use for it. View attachment 866832 Nice and clean again. View attachment 866833 View attachment 866835 View attachment 866836 I think I will tear all the tape and plastic off the body. I don't trust tape that has been on the surface that long. View attachment 866836 I also have a clean work bench and managed to vacuum all the crevasses out and blow the shelves clean. I sharpened my 3 chain saws after a hard week of use getting a big tree down that was damaged during a passing storm. I have another one that needs to come down. I think I will wait till next winter. Take Care. The supply chain is still being affected by world events and that makes Saturday work mandatory. Take Care and Be Safe. View attachment 866837
I am seeing happiness on four wheels coming to a garage near you :)

cucvrus

I am glad all the heavy work is completed. could have said all the body work is completed but I have a mystery dent on the left door that needs repaired. say mystery because no one knows how it got there. I have a hunch but to keep the peace and harmony in the family I remain silent. No proof. Oh well. It won't change my destiny just side track my project a few hours. Today we have pouring rain and it is supposed to be a weekend event. Take Care. I have a few odd jobs after my fulltime job and I want to get them completed.

cucvrus

I was on a roll today. I feel good and motivated. I had to start a wood fire in the house it was 45* and I worked in the basement a few hours. I fixed 2 jacks for trailers. I am getting good at rebuilding the Bulldog jacks. I bought all the parts I needed from etrailer.com
After I was done with my jacks I went out and installed the jack on my M1102 chassis. I thought it would be good to do something to the M1009 I am rebuilding. DSCF8493.JPG These are the cowl to fender rubbers. Many times, they are overlooked and never removed and painted over or taped off. I wanted a great job I removed them. I scrubbed them in the laundry sink and hung them to dry. DSCF8498.JPG The fasteners were in bad shape. 38 years does that to steel. DSCF8494.JPGI looked thru my shop and found some GM screws we used in the 90's on G vans. DSCF8495.JPG DSCF8496.JPG Not exact but GM and close. 7 MM drive and all. Very close. I think close enough for Barret Jackson. DSCF8497.JPG Have a Great Day. Stay Thirsty my Friends.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was on a roll today. I feel good and motivated. I had to start a wood fire in the house it was 45* and I worked in the basement a few hours. I fixed 2 jacks for trailers. I am getting good at rebuilding the Bulldog jacks. I bought all the parts I needed from etrailer.com
After I was done with my jacks I went out and installed the jack on my M1102 chassis. I thought it would be good to do something to the M1009 I am rebuilding. View attachment 866887 These are the cowl to fender rubbers. Many times, they are overlooked and never removed and painted over or taped off. I wanted a great job I removed them. I scrubbed them in the laundry sink and hung them to dry. View attachment 866886 The fasteners were in bad shape. 38 years does that to steel. View attachment 866888I looked thru my shop and found some GM screws we used in the 90's on G vans. View attachment 866889 View attachment 866890 Not exact but GM and close. 7 MM drive and all. Very close. I think close enough for Barret Jackson. View attachment 866891 Have a Great Day. Stay Thirsty my Friends.
Thirsty? What does that have to do with Barret Jackson or 7mm???

Glad ya are doin well Rick.......new side gig.....trailer jacks? I'll be darn

cucvrus

Thirsty? What does that have to do with Barret Jackson or 7mm???

Glad ya are doin well Rick.......new side gig.....trailer jacks? I'll be darn
Stay Thirsty means I will be bringing more progress for you to absorb. Take Care. I have a few attachments on my body to work with but I am getting it done. Thank you for the positive support. The negative support is welcome also. Just don't expect me to absorb much of the negativity. I am way past that. Have a Great Day. Don't forget Mom.

cucvrus

This is proof positive that it does not take long for horizontal surfaces in a garage/barn to attract residents. Less than 48 hours and I now have 2 new patio umbrellas. DSCF8501.JPG I pushed the M1009 back and forth a bit and centered it in the garage for progress to begin. I swept the garage floor and blew it out. That was progress. I am in for a break and reporting as promised. DSCF8502.JPG

cucvrus

OK I have all 4 tires and wheels removed from the M1009. I know it is again, but life happens. I don't know the age of these tires. I know the one is an MTR Wrangler I wore out myself on an M1009. The MTR's I ran till they were bald and worn out. I never had a flat with them and I wheeled the M1009 hard off road for many years. DSCF8503.JPG DSCF8504.JPG Left rear is my MTR. Right rear was on the truck when I bought it. DSCF8505.JPG The valve stems are hard and brittle. They break when you twist them. DSCF8506.JPG Right front has a deep crack or cut. I don't know which. But I would run these up at Rausch Creek until they blew out. DSCF8507.JPG DSCF8508.JPG Right front wheel is sketchy. It looks like it was run with loose lug nuts. Good for a spare only. DSCF8509.JPG DSCF8511.JPG DSCF8512.JPG The left front has 1/2 tread the rubber is hard and cracked. I would still run the pants off of them. I pulled all the valve stems and am going to dismount them and get the wheels sandblasted and primed. These wheels are very hard to find. I have only enough stock M1009 wheels to complete the 2 M1009's I have. After that No Worries. Can anyone tell the date code on these tires? I doubt they are OEM I only remember Uniroyal Lorado tires back on the 1984 models. This truck was built in July 1983.

cucvrus

I am in for lunch, and this is how I left the M1009. DSCF8513.JPG DSCF8514.JPG DSCF8515.JPG DSCF8516.JPG DSCF8517.JPGI am going back out to work on a few other things and I will do something moving forward on this project today as my goal. I want to hang fenders, but the grass is growing so fast I can see it moving. Any of you guys ever remember using a push mower when you were younger. I have Honda mowers and the propulsion quit working. Man, I am getting old. I did 2 laps with the push mower, and I said that's enough. The transmission went out in my mower.DSCF8480.JPG

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I have all 4 tires and wheels removed from the M1009. I know it is again, but life happens. I don't know the age of these tires. I know the one is an MTR Wrangler I wore out myself on an M1009. The MTR's I ran till they were bald and worn out. I never had a flat with them and I wheeled the M1009 hard off road for many years. View attachment 867094 View attachment 867095 Left rear is my MTR. Right rear was on the truck when I bought it. View attachment 867096 The valve stems are hard and brittle. They break when you twist them. View attachment 867097 Right front has a deep crack or cut. I don't know which. But I would run these up at Rausch Creek until they blew out. View attachment 867098 View attachment 867099 Right front wheel is sketchy. It looks like it was run with loose lug nuts. Good for a spare only. View attachment 867100 View attachment 867101 View attachment 867102 The left front has 1/2 tread the rubber is hard and cracked. I would still run the pants off of them. I pulled all the valve stems and am going to dismount them and get the wheels sandblasted and primed. These wheels are very hard to find. I have only enough stock M1009 wheels to complete the 2 M1009's I have. After that No Worries. Can anyone tell the date code on these tires? I doubt they are OEM I only remember Uniroyal Lorado tires back on the 1984 models. This truck was built in July 1983.
Rick,
Them tires are so old they have no date codes.

cucvrus

Really. I thought for sure we has a CSI here that could tell if they are the OEM tires. One thing that makes me suspect that they are NOT OEM is the absence of wheel weights. And like I mentioned I recall all the new M1009's having the Uniroyal Laredo tires, and the pick up cab chassis variants all had Firestone Steeltex fuel fighters on them. But I think someone knows how old they are. They will be in the recycling pile at weeks end. Until then they are riding around in style in back of the Trail Boss. I still wish I could run them till they failed off road. That was great times. Take Care. I hope Easter Find is serving you well.

cucvrus

I now know how this guy feels. I am doing all this with my chores , work , life , and hobbies. Soon I will be adding fishing. But still have time for Family. Take Care. I will get something CUCV related done this week. Even if it means cutting one up for scrap. Every vehicle meets the scrap pile someday. Some sooner then others.

cucvrus

I try. Not as quickly as some others would like me to. But trying and getting things done is always the challenge. Thank you for the support. Positive or negative I can handle it. Hanging a fender used to be childs play. Now just need a little help from my friends and family. I am learning about new stuff all the time and doing my best. The trailers are not as labor intense as the CUCV's. Stands to reason. I hope to have both fenders on and get the hood attached and aligned. Oh yea. I must paint the underside and edge paint the hood. That is another step. I have the OEM hood and it is in great shape. I will get to that in the next few days/weeks. Be Safe. SSDV just so you know I hate the instrument clusters in CUCV's I work on them all the time but still have a loathing for them. And they are my weakness no matter how many I work on. The boot me in the hide end. So hang tough and quit changing so many things at once. You keep adding to the equation. Every action has a reaction. Do changes slightly and 1 step at a time. I would have left the operational cluster in the dash and unloaded everything from the front. I would have changed 1 bulb at a time and made sure it worked. Like I said that cluster is a very fragile piece that is old and brittle. The printed circuit board is also suspect in your case. I spent many hours correcting light issues in clusters of CUCV's. Many unbilled hours because I could not always find the issue without throwing time and money at it. Loose connections bad grounds, fuses corroded and anything you touch just snow balls. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks