• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

Just so you don't think I was slacking off last night, I have a progress report. I dismounted all 5 wheels and tires and dropped them off at the sand blaster. I was fortunate when I pulled into the lot the blasting room doors were closed and he came out and put them right in to be blasted. Only one of the 5 looked a bit rough from pitting and rust. I spoke with the blasting guy and he said he uses regular sand to blast. That is not good. He said it was cheaper. I said well I am out of here. Not wanting any of that dust near me. I think we all used to do that. I don't use sand anymore. I gave my sand blaster away a few months ago. Take Care. I am getting the wheels blasted and primed. I will scuff and paint them when they return. I need to scuff and paint the underside of the hood at the same time. Be Safe.

Boat Guy

Maybe I just attach it to the truck and still have 5 new Goodyear MTR 31/10.50 x 15 tires all mounted on wheels. You keep the OEM one for a souvenir. If it fits it ships.
Did you run the Goodyears and did you like them? I've got to buy a new set for my M1009 as the current tires are cracked between the treads. I want to stay stock size. I've got a great tire store that I trust and they'll get me what I want within reason.
Thoughts?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran the Goodyear MTR Kevlar on my M1009's for many years. It is my opinion that they are the perfect tire for the M1009. And I had many people tell me they liked my M1009. Take Care I ran several sets till they were bald, and I can say I never had a flat tire.
View attachment 867624
I have never run those tires before, but I can tell by the direction of the tread pattern, those would be the ultimate off road tire. Excellent paint job, looks like factory camo pattern.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so you don't think I was slacking off last night, I have a progress report. I dismounted all 5 wheels and tires and dropped them off at the sand blaster. I was fortunate when I pulled into the lot the blasting room doors were closed and he came out and put them right in to be blasted. Only one of the 5 looked a bit rough from pitting and rust. I spoke with the blasting guy and he said he uses regular sand to blast. That is not good. He said it was cheaper. I said well I am out of here. Not wanting any of that dust near me. I think we all used to do that. I don't use sand anymore. I gave my sand blaster away a few months ago. Take Care. I am getting the wheels blasted and primed. I will scuff and paint them when they return. I need to scuff and paint the underside of the hood at the same time. Be Safe.
I sandblasted a house one time, until I realized how far the sand spread onto adjoining properties. After that we went to 6500 psi pressure washer with a rotating nozzle. Those nozzles can eat a hole right through the stucco if you held it in one place long enough. Much better way to go. less mess, and no silica sand.

Boat Guy

I ran the Goodyear MTR Kevlar on my M1009's for many years. It is my opinion that they are the perfect tire for the M1009. And I had many people tell me they liked my M1009. Take Care I ran several sets till they were bald, and I can say I never had a flat tire.
View attachment 867624
Thanks!!! I'll change the order with my tire guy. I think he was talking Hankooks or something.

Boat Guy

I have a date with the Line X shop to get the floor areas and the cargo area sprayed in Black. I am going to have them coat up to the rail in the cargo area, to the seam at the B pillar seat belt area and up to the fire wall under the dash. I will have the doors, roof and tailgate removed so that area in the rear gate are can be thoroughly coated. They said they do the sanding and prep work. I always do my prep work and sanding first. They can do theirs if mine isn't good enough. But I doubt that it will be insufficient. The Army painted the floor with a brush and that was done hastily with nothing more then a blow out and paint. Makes the paint come off easier for me. That plastic coating on the floor up front is one of them things that I always remove before Line X. The Line X appointment is the week of Monday October 5, 2020. I told them they can have it till Monday the 12th. Game on.
My 84 1009 was Line-X'd on the exterior by a previous owner. A bit at a loss as to whether or not to try to paint it after that. BRide is NOT in favor of "investment" but I'm pretty sure I can do the necessary cancer surgery (rusted through in the "usual places") and then I'll have to do "something" with the replacement metal.
Y'all can see I'm a FNG so suggestions cheerfully considered.

cucvrus

WOW, Getting the Line X off the entire vehicle will be a challenge. I think it was never clean and rust free before the Line X was applied. That is the standard operating procedure for most paint jobs I see. Getting the surface rust free and sealed would be my first goal. But being covered in Line X is going to be hard to see where the rust starts and where it ends. Even after careful examination of vehicles that I paint somewhere the enemy rust is lurking directly below the surface and ready to break out at any moment. Good Luck with the project. Not one I would even get involved in. Unless I was going to spray another coat of Line X on the entire vehicle and do a 3 color camouflage over top of. Take Care. Post some pictures.

Boat Guy

Yeah I was wondering about painting over the Line-X. Got the truck for a steal to use as a snowplow (hence Bride's approval) so I'll likely replace the panels that have rusted through and Line-X over them.
Won't ever be a three-color truck though; it'll be Naval Beach Group green all over.
Thanks
Take Care.

cucvrus

WOW. Must be a special unit that you can see the exterior panels from the inside. All of my CUCV's have/ had 2 steel walls in all the outer panels.

Fixing it on the back side wouldn't make it much easier. But replacing every rusty panel on an old CUCV can get pricey and labor intense. Good Luck.

Good Luck.

Boat Guy

Guess I'm mistaking the rusted-through quarterpanels and the rockers under the doors. I will defer to you.
Other than shifting roughly it drives well and is otherwise mechanically sound.
Still has the rifle rack but not the radio shelves.

cucvrus

(hence Bride's approval)
Not a good thing to get (approval) has been my experience after 35 years of marriage. If I got approval for everything I bought and sold I would have 1 vehicle and live in a development. But after 35 years my bride likes the results because we both made decisions on our own. Works out better for both sides. Getting approval at this point is out the door. I get people that ask me what I bought that for. I say because I could. The ends the conversation. Rock Crusher has been a big curiosity to many. Built not bought. Good Luck with the M1009. If it is just a snow plow vehicle don't even spend the coin getting it fixed up. Use what ever you can to keep it safe and roadworthy. I have an M1009 at work with 12 gauge floor and 1/4" 4" x 4" angle for rockers. Been plowing for years. The entire floor is fabricated and welded with galvaneal steel.

Boat Guy

(hence Bride's approval)
Not a good thing to get (approval) has been my experience after 35 years of marriage. If I got approval for everything I bought and sold I would have 1 vehicle and live in a development. But after 35 years my bride likes the results because we both made decisions on our own. Works out better for both sides. Getting approval at this point is out the door. I get people that ask me what I bought that for. I say because I could. The ends the conversation. Rock Crusher has been a big curiosity to many. Built not bought. Good Luck with the M1009. If it is just a snow plow vehicle don't even spend the coin getting it fixed up. Use what ever you can to keep it safe and roadworthy. I have an M1009 at work with 12 gauge floor and 1/4" 4" x 4" angle for rockers. Been plowing for years. The entire floor is fabricated and welded with galvaneal steel.
Not so much "approval", more like concurrence for expenditures of "common" funds. Simple courtesy.
I won't go into the many things purchased without discussion . Typically purchases in the four- and five-figure range and up ARE discussed and I'm fine with that.

cucvrus

Anyway. We are getting off track here. This is my project and I will post progress as it happens. Good Luck. I was just ribbing you about getting approval. Most things I do are NOT approved or they wouldn't get done. Most people wouldn't spend the time I do on some of my projects. Take Care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks