• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mickey Thompson | Baja Legend MTZ (mickeythompsontires.com)
I was looking for new tires for my 2019 Silverado and I came across these tires in 31 x 10.5 15. Not the size for my Silverado but,
I think these would look great on the M1009. Summit is a dealer. $237.69 each.
Anyone has any thoughts? And no, I don't want 33 10.5 15 Stock size tires always worked great for me. Take care. Enjoy the weekend. I will probably stick with the Goodyear Duratraks on my Trail Boss.
I've bought several sets of tires for at least 6 different cars and trucks I own or past on now from treadwright. I have had 0 problems with any of them...put them on the blazer and the truck too. They ship very fast with no extra charges. I like that they have 3 different types of each to choose from depending on what you'll be doing with them. I put the winter blend on my dodge truck. https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter/products/at-warden-31-10-5-r15-6ply# Toughest part is getting them while they're in stock!! For us it's saving at least 100$ per tire too. Hope all is well.

cucvrus

I have the trailer all taped up and ready to paint. DSCF9045 - Copy.JPG DSCF9046 - Copy.JPG DSCF9047 - Copy.JPG DSCF9048 - Copy.JPG
First thing to do is wash it down and clean the surfaces of grease and oil. I use DX330 wax and grease remover. DSCF9049 - Copy.JPG The DOT5 silicone brake fluid is not even affected by this cleaner. I done my best. It is only an implement trailer. it will not be in any shows. It suits me and that is all that matters at this point. It is a shame to cover a new CARC paint job, but I don't want the military look. After it is all washed down I wipe it dry and blow if all off until the cleaner is evaporated. DSCF9050.JPG DSCF9051.JPG I covered the axle and the shock absorbers as they did not require any paint. The use of plastic bags from parts is very quick and easy. Beats the hours spent taping and making sure you cover everything.

cucvrus

I applied the first coat. I used a Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun. It has been used hard lately. I painted several bird houses and all the parts for the rock crusher. I will be getting 2 new guns when I get around to painting the M1009 Little Red. That is coming soon. We are in a drought, so I have no lawn work to do. The equipment is just setting idle at the moment. I am currently grilling some chicken on my Traeger. Simple things in life are the things for me at this point. I am feeling well and motivated. DSCF9052.JPG
DSCF9053.JPG
DSCF9054.JPGDSCF9055.JPGDSCF9056.JPG
I am spraying Rust oleum paint, and the can says allow 24 hours to topcoat. Strange but I am just following instructions. I will do the topcoat tomorrow after work. Thank you for looking. I have a long way to go this summer and would like to make great progress.

cucvrus

I just pulled the trigger and ordered 5 brand new Goodyear Duratrak tires. looks like I am limited to outlined black letter tires. 15" tires are far and few between in the modern pickup truck world. My 2014 Silverado 1500 had 17" and my 2019 Silverado has 18". I want to order a 2024 Silverado ZR2 when the order bank opens for the 2024 models. I am sure that will have a new size tire on it. 275/70R18 = 33.2x10.8R18 And am I shocked at tire prices right now. I will turn the ORWL tires towards the inside and live with it. CARC black will probably adhere to the rubber letters for a while. It sticks to everything else. $1504. for 5 new tires, mounted, new valve stems, balanced and out the door. JOY. It is the look and quality I desire.

87cr250r

The solvent carried paints have a funny recoat window. You can recoat within 30 minutes or after 24 hours. If you recoat inside that window the solvent in the new coat will soften the prior coat and the paint will get all wrinkly.

cucvrus

Progress report was posted on the wrong thread. These are the 5 wheels for the M1009. DSCF9068.JPG I hand sanded them to day and painted the back sides and the inside of the rims. DSCF9080.JPG DSCF9079 - Copy.JPG This is the back side of one of the rims. DSCF9081.JPGI had them sand blasted and primed. I could have painted them within a few days, but I left them set over a year and the primer needed sanded to topcoat. Take Care and Be Safe. Thank you for looking.

cucvrus

Last night was very successful. I was able to paint the face of the wheels on Sunday evening and get them set aside last night. They are ready to have the new tires mounted on them. I went into the center bay and removed the bumpers from the fiberglass roof of the M1009. I opened the hood, and the batteries were still at 12.60 volts. I attached the cables to the battery posts and tightened them down. I sat in the cab on a stool and turned the key. The wait light came on and cycled and I turned the key and it started immediately. I left it run a few minutes and put it in reverse and backed the M1009 out into the sunlight. I left it run outside and removed all the parts that are painted for this project from the inside. I have them all wrapped, boxed and bagged. I have lots of room in the center bay now that the M1009 is no longer in there. I made some tables in the center bay with sawhorses and M1102 tailgates. Makes it nice and easy to move things around quickly and store things away. After getting the M1009 blown off with air I decided it was time to just get down and have the main cab roof dent free. I called a good friend and ask for a little help. That metal roof in the only part on this entire vehicle that has any dents in it. He worked at it a few hours and we decided it was good enough and would only require a thin coat of rage filler to make it near perfect. The camera was not present in the shop last night, but I will make up for it tonight with more pictures. I am also removing the glass from the fiberglass roof so I have no paint edges and can repaint the entire inside of the roof. More later. Take Care and be Safe.

cucvrus

Keeping my word and moving forward I have removed the windows and the top from the M1009. DSCF9086.JPG DSCF9087.JPG
I see that the factory windows had caulk on the rubbers and glass to keep them from leaking. Guess what, they leak anyway. Every M1009 I ever owned was not watertight 100%. DSCF9088.JPG I am going to pressure wash the top inside and out. It may be a mistake as I have water leak out of tops that were inside for a year or more. For now, it is outside and out of my way. DSCF9089.JPG I am going over the door jams at a few places I have cracks in the seam sealer. Not sure what happened but I am scuffing the inside of the doors and door jams and repainting again. No errors will be overlooked intentionally. Have a Great Day. I have a lot of hand sanding and the roof is ground out and ready for a thin coat of filler. More later.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress report was posted on the wrong thread. These are the 5 wheels for the M1009. View attachment 898769 I hand sanded them to day and painted the back sides and the inside of the rims. View attachment 898771 View attachment 898770 This is the back side of one of the rims. View attachment 898772I had them sand blasted and primed. I could have painted them within a few days, but I left them set over a year and the primer needed sanded to topcoat. Take Care and Be Safe. Thank you for looking.
Rims are GOLD!!! We picked up a set just because we found them! Nice to have some extras or replacements however you look at it. They fit in the bead blaster so it's easy to get them cleaned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks