• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

I was out bright and early and set up all my parts. I hand sanded these parts over the past 3 weeks and I washed all of them with DX330. All the parts were sealed and painted by 12 noon. I went and had lunch and spent the rest of the day brush painting a barn. I brushed out 4 gallons of paint from scaffold. When I returned home, I secured all the painted parts back inside my barn. I will be getting everything wrapped in plastic and store it safely till I can get the rest of the M1009 painted. I used water base 383 CARC paint and a HVLP cup gun to finish paint the parts. Nothing gets flatter or greener than CARC 383.
DSCF8869.JPGDSCF8870.JPGDSCF8871.JPGDSCF8872.JPGDSCF8873.JPG
The friend that owns the barn I was brush painting came over to help me put the parts inside. I think it will rain tomorrow. Sad to hear that. I had more parts to paint but decided not to overdo it. It was an obstacle course as it was. I Love cleaning up paint with the water hose. But when dry the water base CARC holds up better than the 3-part chemical base has been my experience. And you don't get them ugly fingernail scratches every time you touch it. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

1662895460157.png
This is a collection of nomenclature tags from some of the CUCV's I parted out over the years. This is just a few of them. I have given a few away and used a few on CIUCV's that didn't have doors when I bought them. Just sharing for the fun of it. Have a Great Day. Painting and wood cutting has been rained out for today. Maybe I will just rest. Maybe. Then again maybe not.

GunnyM1009

View attachment 878882
This is a collection of nomenclature tags from some of the CUCV's I parted out over the years. This is just a few of them. I have given a few away and used a few on CIUCV's that didn't have doors when I bought them. Just sharing for the fun of it. Have a Great Day. Painting and wood cutting has been rained out for today. Maybe I will just rest. Maybe. Then again maybe not.
As one of my old bosses used to say at a job I didn't stay at very long. "You can rest when your dead, until then there's work to be done" wonder why I didn't stay very long. Enjoy a breather if you need to. We al need a battery recharge from time to time.

cucvrus

1663000469612.png
I was reminded today that it has been 2 years since I pulled this M1009 in the garage. Now I feel like I have been screwing off. Trust me I have not been. If this were my only project I would have been done in 30 days. I used to produce a refurbished CUCV every 45 days. And being that this one had been gone over I would have been able to get it done quicker. I am doing my best and making great progress. 1 man 100 jobs. Things go slower. Take Care and Be Safe. I will be bagging and boxing painted parts and safely storing them in the center bay where this M1009 sat for 20 years. Like fine wine, nice CUCV's take time. And in the end the love I took will be equal to the love I share. Your results may vary. I think there is a song like that.
Here it is The End by the Beatles.

cucvrus

I was on an LED kick lately. I converted my Kubota to full LED lighting. I even changed the oil warning light to LED. I never seen my Kubota have such bright headlamps. Another thing was when I was plowing snow with it and had the 4 ways on the lights on the fender would get that hot, they would burn your hands and sizzle when snowflakes hit them. I must add a resistor to get them to flash but even lit for 1/2 an hour they are only warm to the touch. Today I have an electrician coming to get my barn wiring up to code and install an outlet for my new Miller mig welder. Just when I am thinking of hanging up this hobby, I have all the tools I needed to do it all along. Maybe I can make yard art or something interesting. I have LED lighting for my barn work bay. I have had the cheap LED tube lights that are wired to knob and tube and was called out by my insurance carrier. Which is good. I like a bit of a kick in the arse every now and then. Recently I have been back to mowing grass and bailing. It went from drought to full growth in 3 weeks. I must get going I still have unprotected painted CUCV parts in my shop. I must get them secured and safe. Winters coming that is why I changed my Avatar. Have a Great Day. Get something done.

cucvrus

Things here have not been going well. I have a few health issues to address and a major wiring mess in my barn that I must have repaired and replaced. I have 6-months to have the barn wiring up to code. The first bay is my work bay. I have some 22" steely wheels on the M1009 at the moment because that is the only tires and wheels I could find. DSCF8884.JPG DSCF8885.JPG DSCF8886.JPG I had my sons and friends over to help me get everything cleaned and put away for the winter. As always, I installed 2 new batteries and turned the key. the wait light lit and went out and the truck started on the first revolution. It went on fast idle, and I checked all the fluids before and after I had it running. My son backed it out into the driveway, and we covered all the parts in individual packages and stored them away. I didn't want the dust and dirt on all the new parts. I placed the M1009 back in the center bay where it spent the years sitting. I have an electrician scheduled next month. Things don't go as quickly and easily as the used to. I can do it I just can't rush and life comes fast. DSCF8889.JPG DSCF8891.JPG As much as I don't like it, I have to live with my decision. I am positive I can get this done.
"Oh, take your time,
Don't live too fast.
Troubles will come,
And they will pass. DSCF8887.JPG DSCF8888.JPG I did get a tool out that my friend never seen before. He said that is genius. DSCF8890.JPG Anyone ever use one of these tools? I have it 40 years and don't work on older vehicles without it. It saves a lot of cursing and money when used properly. Take Care. I will be here. I hope you all understand. Life goes on. It's a truck and I will complete it.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Things here have not been going well. I have a few health issues to address and a major wiring mess in my barn that I must have repaired and replaced. I have 6-months to have the barn wiring up to code. The first bay is my work bay. I have some 22" steely wheels on the M1009 at the moment because that is the only tires and wheels I could find. View attachment 881494 View attachment 881496 View attachment 881497 I had my sons and friends over to help me get everything cleaned and put away for the winter. As always, I installed 2 new batteries and turned the key. the wait light lit and went out and the truck started on the first revolution. It went on fast idle, and I checked all the fluids before and after I had it running. My son backed it out into the driveway, and we covered all the parts in individual packages and stored them away. I didn't want the dust and dirt on all the new parts. I placed the M1009 back in the center bay where it spent the years sitting. I have an electrician scheduled next month. Things don't go as quickly and easily as the used to. I can do it I just can't rush and life comes fast. View attachment 881503 View attachment 881506 As much as I don't like it, I have to live with my decision. I am positive I can get this done.
"Oh, take your time,
Don't live too fast.
Troubles will come,
And they will pass. View attachment 881499 View attachment 881501 I did get a tool out that my friend never seen before. He said that is genius. View attachment 881505 Anyone ever use one of these tools? I have it 40 years and don't work on older vehicles without it. It saves a lot of cursing and money when used properly. Take Care. I will be here. I hope you all understand. Life goes on. It's a truck and I will complete it.
Still use it !!!LOL and it is about as old as yours !!!!

cucvrus

Hope you feel better Rick. Winter and the cold are fast approaching. I dread heating my house this year (oil fired ... YUK !)
There is FREE wood everywhere I look. I was gifted another trailer load last night. A full 5 loads of Sugar Maple from a friend's place. Heating oil has 138,000 BTU per gallon. 1 cord of dry Sugar Maple has 24 million BTU's. More work but better value. It still costs money to cut, haul, split, and have the chimney cleaned annually, but I don' mind if the door stays open for a bit longer during cold days. Oil is a killer and electric is worse. Good Luck. You live in a woodsy state.

dougco1

I did the math that is 173 gallons of heating oil. That is $700. worth of heating oil per full cord of wood. And Sugar Maple is a medium grade wood for BTU value.
I still burn my coal at 25 million BTUs per ton. A ton of coal will fit "belly high" on a standard pallet.
Because of the Ukraine war, the price of coal in upstate NY just increased 40% to $310 a ton . Still cheaper than buying local "seasoned/split wood or bagged pellets.

cucvrus

1666261773313.png
As I am feeling that I left down a few friends on my M1009 project. I need to reflect once again that this is a hobby, and I must have the desire and drive to complete the project. I must also prioritize things that need done on my journey thru life. Looking at the build date I am going to set a goal in place to have the build complete by the M1009's 40th birthday. I think that is doable. Now I must make it happen. Weather always catches me and with this working full time and having other issues to address I have been stressed to the max. Life goes on. It is just a vehicle, and I must keep that in mind. I have other things that trump this project. My Hobby is NOT my LIFE. Have a Great Day.

Last edited:

afaquaholic

my 11 yo bought himself an 85 m1009 last year with his dog sitting money, we just started the rebuild process, its gonna need a lot of love, but fired up and drove home on 4 different tires, old fuel, and a sagging tailgate. wish we had started this project when banks was still making the turbo, but i guess the good news is he can't get himself in too much trouble with it as is. hoping our project goes smooth. one question, body bolts, where do you get yours, i assume you've replaced them. i know there was a post somewhere here about the sizes, but cannot for find it now.

cucvrus

my 11 yo bought himself an 85 m1009 last year with his dog sitting money, we just started the rebuild process, its gonna need a lot of love, but fired up and drove home on 4 different tires, old fuel, and a sagging tailgate. wish we had started this project when banks was still making the turbo, but i guess the good news is he can't get himself in too much trouble with it as is. hoping our project goes smooth. one question, body bolts, where do you get yours, i assume you've replaced them. i know there was a post somewhere here about the sizes, but cannot for find it now.
Body bolts? Or body mounts? I replace the body mounts and the bolts. There is nothing special about the bolts. getting the old ones out is the special part. But patience and an impact will do it. DO NOT RUSH THEM. Let me know I can explain. DSCF4272.JPG

cucvrus

Mickey Thompson | Baja Legend MTZ (mickeythompsontires.com)
I was looking for new tires for my 2019 Silverado and I came across these tires in 31 x 10.5 15. Not the size for my Silverado but,
I think these would look great on the M1009. Summit is a dealer. $237.69 each.
Anyone has any thoughts? And no, I don't want 33 10.5 15 Stock size tires always worked great for me. Take care. Enjoy the weekend. I will probably stick with the Goodyear Duratraks on my Trail Boss.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mickey Thompson | Baja Legend MTZ (mickeythompsontires.com)
I was looking for new tires for my 2019 Silverado and I came across these tires in 31 x 10.5 15. Not the size for my Silverado but,
I think these would look great on the M1009. Summit is a dealer. $237.69 each.
Anyone has any thoughts? And no, I don't want 33 10.5 15 Stock size tires always worked great for me. Take care. Enjoy the weekend. I will probably stick with the Goodyear Duratraks on my Trail Boss.
I do like the thread pattern......it appears they'd clear of mud/debri nicely.....not a terrible price......I wonder about road noise and longevity.....
Have a fabulous day, Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks