• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

OK it is 70* outside and I have the whole weekend off. I guess it is time I get wound up and rolling on my M1009 project. I will follow up with a full report. And to keep my thread from being worthless I will include full color pictures with explanations and diagrams as needed. Many CUCV parts will be disturbed and altered. Some may even be mistreated and discarded. If you are easily offended or motivated this thread may not be for you. Take Care and wish me success. Be Safe.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK it is 70* outside and I have the whole weekend off. I guess it is time I get wound up and rolling on my M1009 project. I will follow up with a full report. And to keep my thread from being worthless I will include full color pictures with explanations and diagrams as needed. Many CUCV parts will be disturbed and altered. Some may even be mistreated and discarded. If you are easily offended or motivated this thread may not be for you. Take Care and wish me success. Be Safe.
But of course highs around 50 for the weekend...

cucvrus

But of course highs around 50 for the weekend...
Like all good/big projects a few snags do occur. It was in the low 30's in the morning and cold all day. I did use the time to clean up the garage and get some tools put away. I still have a long way to go but any forward movement is an advancement. I did a lot of work on other equipment and had an electrical contractor doing wiring work and sweeping the second floor made lots of dirt on the first floor. Oh well. I will work on it again today. Camera is MIA. It may be in my work coat at work. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

After being sick with the COVID for 2 weeks I ventured outside again today. I was not off my property for the past 2 weeks and today seemed like a day to explore. I had let some saw equipment at a friends house after working there and getting sick 2 weeks ago and wanted to recover my equipment. I was on the job 2 Saturdays ago and I felt sick. I was up in a 60FT boom truck cutting limbs and I came down and said I can't do this. I went home and only emerged today. After being home sick 1 day I decided 03/21/2021 to go get tested because my friend that I was working with tested positive earlier in the day. Sure enough I was sick and positive. I was sort of a non believer in the impact of this sickness. But after the past 2 weeks and the lingering side effects I am a believer. I recovered my saws and other equipment and was going to clean them up and stored them. By the time I had them recovered and back in my shop I was worn out. My entire family had the virus at the same time and we are all better with the exception of the stiffness, No smell, taste and tinnitus. While I had a friend here I asked that they put my rebuilt TH400 from my project on a stand. They obliged me. Not much to report but I am alive and still in the game. I hope for a full recovery very soon. The weather is upon us and I have lots of projects to complete. I was to meet my obligations and continue on my goals. Take Care and Be Safe. COVID 19 is real. I do have someone coming for my last set of 1 ton axles. That is a step in the right direction. Every part / vehicle that leaves here gets me cleaned up and closer to my goal.

1love

After being sick with the COVID for 2 weeks I ventured outside again today. I was not off my property for the past 2 weeks and today seemed like a day to explore. I had let some saw equipment at a friends house after working there and getting sick 2 weeks ago and wanted to recover my equipment. I was on the job 2 Saturdays ago and I felt sick. I was up in a 60FT boom truck cutting limbs and I came down and said I can't do this. I went home and only emerged today. After being home sick 1 day I decided 03/21/2021 to go get tested because my friend that I was working with tested positive earlier in the day. Sure enough I was sick and positive. I was sort of a non believer in the impact of this sickness. But after the past 2 weeks and the lingering side effects I am a believer. I recovered my saws and other equipment and was going to clean them up and stored them. By the time I had them recovered and back in my shop I was worn out. My entire family had the virus at the same time and we are all better with the exception of the stiffness, No smell, taste and tinnitus. While I had a friend here I asked that they put my rebuilt TH400 from my project on a stand. They obliged me. Not much to report but I am alive and still in the game. I hope for a full recovery very soon. The weather is upon us and I have lots of projects to complete. I was to meet my obligations and continue on my goals. Take Care and Be Safe. COVID 19 is real. I do have someone coming for my last set of 1 ton axles. That is a step in the right direction. Every part / vehicle that leaves here gets me cleaned up and closer to my goal.

Glad your ok and I hope you and your family are good to go soon.

1 ton so a Dana 60 40?

Elektroman99

Rick, I wish you a speedy recovery and, in particular, a full recovery.
Unfortunately, society is deeply divided across almost all nations and all levels. There are doubters, critical people who think differently and there are people who simply cannot believe the danger.

All this does not make it easy, because also the people who cannot believe in this pandemic are endangered.

So, get well soon and I hope and ask that you can soon get rid of all side effects and late effects...

ssdvc

Glad your and your family are on the road to recovering. Stay safe Rick and get healthy !!

cucvrus

After sitting around and doing very little to nothing I decided to get something done on my M1009 project. Mostly just cleaning the transmission case and prepping it for paint or not. I had the transmission overhauled and just want it to look pretty when I reinstall it back in the M1009. DSCF7606.JPGDSCF7607.JPGDSCF7608.JPGDSCF7609.JPG That don't look to bad for about an hours work. The rotary grinder was a bit challenging and chewed thru the scotch brite pads. I had better results with a brass brush and my blower. Looks good to me and I am fussy. When I have a helper here I am going to stand it on the bell and paint it with Dull Aluminum paint from Krylon. It always makes a nice job. Thank you for looking. I have cab mounts to clean and paint and then the new mounts to install. I will give that a try over the weekend. Depends on my physical condition. Still feeling a bit rough. I returned to my job today. I need to reset. Get back in the game.

LT67

After sitting around and doing very little to nothing I decided to get something done on my M1009 project. Mostly just cleaning the transmission case and prepping it for paint or not. I had the transmission overhauled and just want it to look pretty when I reinstall it back in the M1009. View attachment 830693View attachment 830694View attachment 830695View attachment 830696 That don't look to bad for about an hours work. The rotary grinder was a bit challenging and chewed thru the scotch brite pads. I had better results with a brass brush and my blower. Looks good to me and I am fussy. When I have a helper here I am going to stand it on the bell and paint it with Dull Aluminum paint from Krylon. It always makes a nice job. Thank you for looking. I have cab mounts to clean and paint and then the new mounts to install. I will give that a try over the weekend. Depends on my physical condition. Still feeling a bit rough. I returned to my job today. I need to reset. Get back in the game.
Glad you're feeling better.... yeah, covid 19 is no joke. It takes a while to completely get over it.

cucvrus

I was out in the shop and I was looking for my saws. I had my friend drop them off after I fell ill while on the cutting job. That was good but he set them in the back of my M1009 project and anyone that is familiar with chain saws knows how oily and greasy they can be after being used hard for several hours. Well I discovered it in time and soaked the oil up with oil dry the part week.DSCF7614.JPG DSCF7610.JPG Sharpened all my saws and cleaned them up. They are ready for the next expedition or storm to come along. I will have to wash the oil spot thoroughly with DX330 wax and grease remover. I still have sanding to do in that area. If I had it LineXed it would be no big deal. Clean up would be as easy as washing it out with Dawn. I also have a question. What cable would I hook this lockable shut off into to shut off the entire vehicle. I am thinking the main cable to the battery would disable it good enough. Anyone. Thank you for looking. DSCF7611.JPGDSCF7612.JPGDSCF7613.JPG

Last edited:

cucvrus

I sanded for 2 hours with my Milwaukee M18 DA sander. I like it better than than the air sander. A 5" 80 grit sanding sheet has a 90 second life when sanding brushed on CARC paint. I am still feeling the side effect of the COVID I had. Feeling stronger everyday and trying my best to maintain headway. Many things play into my time to work on hobbies. Life comes at you hard at times. Work requirements are at 6 days a week. Not much time to maintain the properties and commit to other projects. Doing my best. I will continue. Take Care and Be Safe. No pictures I left the camera in the house and when I was peeling the plastic factory cover from the drivers side front floor I thought it wasn't worth photographing anyway. It sticks and at this point I can't smell so that wasn't an issue. I did manage to chase a spider out that was the size of a half dollar. He couldn't take the heat so he hit the road. I left him go. More later. Maybe some pictures. At this point anything I work on is a step in the right direction.

Sezzo

I was out in the shop and I was looking for my saws. I had my friend drop them off after I fell ill while on the cutting job. That was good but he set them in the back of my M1009 project and anyone that is familiar with chain saws knows how oily and greasy they can be after being used hard for several hours. Well I discovered it in time and soaked the oil up with oil dry the part week.View attachment 830984 View attachment 830980 Sharpened all my saws and cleaned them up. They are ready for the next expedition or storm to come along. I will have to wash the oil spot thoroughly with DX330 wax and grease remover. I still have sanding to do in that area. If I had it LineXed it would be no big deal. Clean up would be as easy as washing it out with Dawn. I also have a question. What cable would I hook this lockable shut off into to shut off the entire vehicle. I am thinking the main cable to the battery would disable it good enough. Anyone. Thank you for looking. View attachment 830981View attachment 830982View attachment 830983
This should help:

Terminal covers:

Last edited:

Sezzo

I sanded for 2 hours with my Milwaukee M18 DA sander. I like it better than than the air sander. A 5" 80 grit sanding sheet has a 90 second life when sanding brushed on CARC paint. I am still feeling the side effect of the COVID I had. Feeling stronger everyday and trying my best to maintain headway. Many things play into my time to work on hobbies. Life comes at you hard at times. Work requirements are at 6 days a week. Not much time to maintain the properties and commit to other projects. Doing my best. I will continue. Take Care and Be Safe. No pictures I left the camera in the house and when I was peeling the plastic factory cover from the drivers side front floor I thought it wasn't worth photographing anyway. It sticks and at this point I can't smell so that wasn't an issue. I did manage to chase a spider out that was the size of a half dollar. He couldn't take the heat so he hit the road. I left him go. More later. Maybe some pictures. At this point anything I work on is a step in the right direction.
Every picture is highly appreciated. Take care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks