• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 roof rack

bdc

Here's my homemade roof rack. Cost about $120 in materials, half of that being expanded metal for the flooring. Measures 5X7 so I can set up my tent on top when in bear country. The fiberglass roof is surprisingly strong. I used 6 mounting spots evenly spaced next to the boxed section of the "frame". The top doesn't budge a bit with me walking around up top. This past weekend was it's first real test up in Monache Meadows. Going to build an awning that folds up and can be attached on either side for shade.
That thing looks awesome!! any chance you could post some measurements about where you placed the mounts. i've no experience with fabrication but I am sure willing to try.

Oldsouthernboy

When I install a roof mount I am going to a local shop that bends the tubing for those car covers that on on the drive ways here, have them measure and bend the tubing to go over the top, no weight on the top at all, over the sides and down on the sheet metal, then use tubing as a spacer and bolt the side with a large fish plate on the inside to take the stress and not pull off of the sheet metal.

edpdx

Djfreema, How did you bolt through the top into your rack? Isn't the top double layered? What hardware- bolts, washers, neoprene? did you use?

bdc

I have had several designs for a rack going through my head. I have 2 antennae mounts on the rear panels of my m1009, and my latest thought is to weld mount the rear supports of the rack to these and bolt the front supports of the rack to the roof of the cab, so all mounts would be on metal. Also this would make the rack "less" permanent. Any thoughts on this idea, or does anyone see any problems with this?

My rack is going to be home fabricated and have approx 5 foot width and 6 foot length, made from square tube steel and expanded metal. Base of the rack will be with 1 inch (possibly 1 1/4") square with a decent gauge to prohibit warping or bending. the barrier rail will be with lesser guage to save on weight.

Mohawk Dave

I know it won't apply to all, but I'm here to share. If you've seen my build thread, you've seen my cage. We will do a rooftop rack by having 2" .120 DOM come thru the fiberglass top, with rubber gommets-link below- then a cam-lock to the roof rack. The rack will have 2x3 inch rectangle lower runners, then respected verticals and either 1.5" or 2" top runners. I will carry a roof-top tent full time which will be as far forward over the cab as the rack goes-with the lights mounted fore- and my second spare will be in the rear corner. That will leave some-but not a lot-of room for other stuff up there.

The Cam-locks will allow us to remove the rack, remove the fiberglass top, and re-install the rack in the summer. (Then we put a water tank up top with misters spraying on the bikini-clad women sitting in the back seat. lol)

http://store.westernrubber.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?entities=&part_number_search_terms=&prev_entity_list=&prev_attribute_name=inside_diameter&entity_list=66%2C81%2C82%2C138%2C139%2C163%2C190%2C191%2C203%2C348&list_entity_inside_diameter=66%2C81%2C82%2C138%2C139%2C163%2C190%2C191%2C203%2C348&list_entity_groove_width=&list_entity_groove_diameter=&list_entity_outside_diameter=&list_entity_overall_thickness=&inside_diameter=124&groove_width=&groove_diameter=&outside_diameter=&overall_thickness=

http://www.amazon.com/Roof-Top-Tent...TF8&coliid=I2X96OBR79GWDQ&colid=1YO5MG5QZJ1UU

My first spare will be on the rear bumper swing.

Just wanted to share in case someone was hungry.

Best wishes to all,

Dave

Last edited:

762luver

Ok, had to take a pic...

Picked this rack up today for next to nothing. All steel, expanded metal basket floor, built like a masonary outhouse. It's resting on my 'custom' 2 x 4" spruce mounts for now until I fab up some sill plate mounts for between the top and the box.
What I'd like to know is if this rack started it's life as a custom piece or if it is a commercial product. If it's commercially available, who makes it? The round tubing makes it look bad a$$.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after much sanding, priming and painting....Now it's off to get it's new brackets this week with use of a friends' brake and shear.

Seems all my pics are wet and at night lol! Hope you can see the thing;-)
I like this setup. Takes all the weight off the fiberglass.

stationjj

A few years ago I had welder build me one for my Outdoor adventures. It is attached to a Civi Blazer top.
I have had no weight issues on top. I have carried camping gear and 2 kayaks with no issues.

Pictures Below;

IMG_0518.jpgIMG_0519.jpgIMG_0517.jpg

John

NovacaineFix

I want to see some pics as well. Been thinking of adding a roof rack to my 1009 for my desert treks, but really don't want to drill holes into the fiberglass top.

Maybe seeing some pics of others will change my mind

honda

Try this. IMG_0825.jpg

1x2 powder coated fabricated steel tubing frame topped with a safari rack mounted onto antenna mounts ( which double as antenna mounting locations for 102" whips and ham antennas) with supports at the rain drips up front and mounts for Baja lights. Virtually impossible to crash through from above. I weigh 185 and have been all over this roof. Lots of tie down points. Safari rack is aluminum. Very light weight. Costs a few bucks, mostly for the safari rack, but if you're into roof racks, this will get her done. Make sure the antenna mounts are very secure with rivnuts, weld points or otherwise and you're good to go. This rack is detachable in that it unbolts from the antenna mounts and hangs from the garage roof, if necessary. I do have to remount the antennas when the rack is removed but that's not a big hassle. Takes about an hour to remove the rack and remount the antennas. Of course I do miss the Baja's when the rack is taking a siesta in the garage.

rsh4364

2 or 3 years ago a guy posted an army designed 1009 roof rack in the classifieds, it looked nice.mounted to quarter panels not fiberglass top. I think he was in columbus, ohio. I wish I could have bought it. If someone finds it please post it up.

cucvrus

Why not the fiberglass top? It seems that would be better and not create a rust issue. I worked a loader in the salvage yard. I carried a few old K5 Blazers by the roof with the loader and they held up till I bounced them into the car crusher. That top is extremely tough and can take a good beating. The M1009 fiberglass tops are in excess here at my place. I always cut up civilian ones for my projects. I have 4-5 military ones setting about. Do as you wish. I have a homemade roof rack on mine.

cucvrus

Wow you like spending the big money on the old M1009. I just made my own soft top from a M1008 cargo cover and the bows. I sold that truck a few years back. No pictures to post. But I never drilled a hole. Used all the brackets, tie downs and bows from the M1008 and shortened them to fit the M1009 the same way but without the front tarp wall. Same height as the M1009 roof and tight as a drum skin. Rear was held down with the gate turn buckles on the pickup gate. Very noisy at highway speed.

rsh4364

I would spend 20k on a cucv before I would spend 20k on a newer vehicle I'm not able to work on. You know what I mean or you would not own yours. No offense intended Rick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks