• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 starting problems

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you still have the box fuel filter, that is probably your problem. I had the exact same issue. I replaced almost everything in the fuel system and still had the same problem. I even tried to find a replacement box filter mount. I learned that the M880 series Dodge box filter will not work in the CUCV. Only way I got it fixed was to replace the box filter mount with a off the shelf filter mount that uses the round commercial filter. I've left the truck sit for months since I swapped it out and she still starts without a problem.

Your fuel system is losing its prime, which is causing the difficult to impossible to start. I'll get a picture of mine and post it.

Almost forgot, it mounts directly to the original mount bolt holes.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

Easy fix. To diagnose the filter base. Just put an inline filter in place and see if the problem goes away. I doubt it is dropping fuel that quickly. Do you have a visible fuel leak anywhere? I have a few spin on filter assemblies that I removed from CUCV's to put the original one back on. IMHO it just makes future maintenance easier if the next owner with out a doubt can reference and purchase the correct fuel filter with out any issues or questions of which one is the correct one. It seems strange that I have so many CUCV's that have had injection pump issues with the same symptoms that are being described here and we are just dancing around the issue. I think a lot of issues will be resolved and can be resolved with a rebuilt injection pump. But I would try to eliminate as many issues and diagnose everything up front before hand. The offer still stands. if you need me to take a look see? Fine I can and if not fine also. Have you looked at some of the CUCV's that others are driving? Helps to have one good running one for comparison to solve some of the issues. Good Luck. Keep in touch.

richingalveston

I am with cucvrus. you are only having the problem when it gets warm and you are not loosing prime overnight. Normally filter base failure you loose prime overnight and you see some sign of a leak.

Personally I don not like the stock filter base and would change it anyway. The round screw on is the only way to go especially with a fuel system that is critical that it stays primed.

I would bet if you keep driving it, you will find a slow loss of power when driving until it quits starting.

That was the story of my IP failure. no warm starts, then loss of power, then no start.

Just my experience, good luck
Rich

REDWOLF

Cucvrus I will be getting with you as soon as I get the new starter on and have a Saturday off. With my wife being out of work extra money is hard to come by, so I have to wait until I get payed again to get the new starter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy fix. To diagnose the filter base. Just put an inline filter in place and see if the problem goes away. I doubt it is dropping fuel that quickly. Do you have a visible fuel leak anywhere? I have a few spin on filter assemblies that I removed from CUCV's to put the original one back on. IMHO it just makes future maintenance easier if the next owner with out a doubt can reference and purchase the correct fuel filter with out any issues or questions of which one is the correct one. It seems strange that I have so many CUCV's that have had injection pump issues with the same symptoms that are being described here and we are just dancing around the issue. I think a lot of issues will be resolved and can be resolved with a rebuilt injection pump. But I would try to eliminate as many issues and diagnose everything up front before hand. The offer still stands. if you need me to take a look see? Fine I can and if not fine also. Have you looked at some of the CUCV's that others are driving? Helps to have one good running one for comparison to solve some of the issues. Good Luck. Keep in touch.
this was the method I used to confirm the box filter had some kind of leaf. Bypass the filter and direct the fuel directly to the engine.

MILLMAN37

this was the method I used to confirm the box filter had some kind of leaf. Bypass the filter and direct the fuel directly to the engine.

Thanks I appreciate that. I think I might have found the problem. The new rubber lines I put on when I installed my new tank look like they are rubbing the bottom of the cab. I'll let you know as soon as I can get time to work on it. Thanks again

REDWOLF

New starter on yesterday, truck started up after a few revaluations of the starter. Now to get up to cucvrus to get the other problems straitened out. Took out for a short run around the block. Will be driving it to work tonight and then back in the morning to the full time job. See how she does with the cold and warm starts. Should be able to come up Saturday the 6th when I am off again. I will pm you with my cell number, give me a call when to get a chance.

cucvrus

What is the report of the warm start? If it is still giving you trouble? I will stick to my diagnosis of needing to have the injection pump rebuilt and changed out. That will cost you about $300-$350. in parts. And if you do the labor that is about it. But on a job like this labor could be about $150. I think you can do the labor. But let me know. I need to know if it runs and starts warm and every-time you go to start it. It will not drop fuel in 10 -15 minutes unless you can visually see the wet spot that fuel is coming out. As I mentioned before check the fuel pump and make sure it is not pinching the pickup line from bad motor mounts. I fel the starter went bad from the hard start situation and you just kept cranking and wearing away at the starter. I am going to be here on the wekend you mentioned and that will be fine. But if you need an injection pump that can get costly and needs to be addressed to correct the issue.

REDWOLF

Don't mind replacing the injection pump, just want to make sure that is the problem before I do. Not doubting your diagnosis. Just would like someone that knows more about them to check her out. We're do you get your pumps rebuilt for 300. 350.?

REDWOLF

Going to replace the fuel filter and sock in the tank beginning of the week. Sock will not be a problem sense someone cut a hole thru the bed to acsess the tank before i got it from the military. Also will be check a damp spot I noticed up bedside the fuel tank on the line sides.

cucvrus

[h=2][/h]
I thought they are two different size. Feed and return.

I would use 5/16" feed line and 1/4" return line. But double check it may be 3/8" feed line. I can check tomorrow for you if you want.

REDWOLF

That would be great if you could. Working two jobs this week do not have a lot of spare time, working from 7am until 12am sence last friday thru tonight.
Thanks cucvrus for all your help.