• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 - cargo anchor install

number9

I've been chasing an electrical prob for the past week. When I'd turn on the backup lights on my truck sometimes the trailer backup lights would work but if I was driving down the road it'd blow a fuse. Then I noticed when I turned them on the running lights on the trailer would light up and the left tail light on my truck would faintly come on. Traced it down to the mil trailer plug harness. Must have bare wires inside the length somewhere. Now I got to either make my own or cut up another mil plug harness. I hate to do that but really want everything to look OE. Guess I'll start hacking tomorrow :roll:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer an electricians Greenlee hole punch, rather then the hole saw for the tie down brackets. The punch for the 3# electrical conduit, actually measures 3.5" They really work slick. They come up on Ebay.

number9

These freaking Mil plug harnesses are driving me nuts. Took a second one apart tonight - the new one that came on this trailer. Wired it up to the 7-pin plug same as I had the other plug harness and it's acting all goofy. LH turn makes both tail lights blink, RH turn makes the LH tail light blink. Even with the correct wires connected to the correct circuits.

The homemade harness I made myself connected the same way, to the same circuits and everything works just fine.

Im wondering if the individual wires are getting damaged when these plug harnesses are made at whatever factory makes these for the military. The rubber around each wire seems like it would be easy to damage as it's very soft. I don't know how they pull the bundle of wires through the main outer rubber sheath but maybe they are getting the bare wire exposed inside during the process? ****.

Ratch

A simple way to test the continuity and insulation of the wires is to put a meter probe on one conductor at end of the cable, and test every conductor at the other end of the cable with the other probe. Do that for each conductor (it goes a lot faster than it sounds), and you'll find which ones are shorting out.

My guess is you have a ground wire in the wrong place somewhere, though. Or one is shorted to ground somewhere. For such a simple function, trailer lights can be frustrating like this...

I've rewired a half of these trailers now. I have not yet bothered with the military harness, I just take it off and replace it with a 4-wire flat in wire loom and rubber sealing tape. from 5 feet away, it looks identical to the military harness, but 99 out of 100 people that see it won't know the difference anyway.

number9

FINALLY!!! Took your advise and put a meter on each wire and found that the pin-out I had found on the web was wrong on wire color / circuit #. Tested both plug harnesses that I had cut and found that they were even different. aua One had come from my M116A3 and the other came on the M101A3 - both were fresh rebuilds when I got them, so I would think they'd been the same, not so.

After I tested with my truck and everything worked right, I installed the LED tail lights I got today from Westy. They are nice and bright! Great deal on those and glad I seen it when I did.

Next up is to figure out a way to raise the top bows up about 6" and replace the RH side wood boards with fiberglass to match the others.

Nick

Got the D-rings installed today. They look better than I thought they would installed. You can see how the backing plates overlap the floor supports, I think they'll be plenty strong enough.

Got some new chain installed for the tailgate, much like was posted earlier except I replaced the whole chain and hung the gate latch off it. I worry about the tabs on the tailgate bending over use though, I'll keep an eye on it I guess. I'm gonna paint the chain green and get some chain sleeves. The pic looks like the chain is swinging but that's actually where the stock chain rubbed the paint on the ride home.

Got the tires & wheels changed out with the BFG 33x12.50 on HMMWV wheels from the M116. Didn't get a pic cause it was late.

I was thinking the same thing when you say you worry about the chains bending the tailgate tabs.

Has anyone had the problem of the tabs bending under loading the tailgate?

Im gonna go get all the stuff to do them tomorrow. I really like the way you did that

Nick

blybrook

I was thinking the same thing when you say you worry about the chains bending the tailgate tabs.

Has anyone had the problem of the tabs bending under loading the tailgate?

Im gonna go get all the stuff to do them tomorrow. I really like the way you did that

Nick

I've not had any problems as of yet with the tabs bending or showing any signs of distress with this modification. I've had 3 people (avg weight of 185lbs) sitting on the tailgate without any problems for about an hour or so. Over time, it may distress, but have not seen anything as of yet.

To the OP, looking good!

number9

My worry with the tabs is loading dirtbikes. After a long ride and Im wore out, my truck and this trailer is too tall off the ground to load them and step into the truck without using a step - its risky about dropping one over. So, I ride them up into the truck on the ramp in the pics earlier. Im 200 and the bike is 215, so that's 415# on the tailgate. I'll be worried the first time I do it with these chains for sure. I may just lay the tailgate flat for the loading part. Im gonna try it and see how it goes though at least once.

yellowrubicon

More than anything to hang the chain hooks on to keep them up off the ground - like on the M105's. That's one thing I've missed about the M101/116 series trailers.

On my 101 the first safety chain link, closest to the trailer frame, is oversized. I just take the other end of the chain and hook it in that first oversized link. It fits great and the chains are hung nicely out of the way. My 2 cents.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't get to do much today other than cut the trailer cable plug holder off the frame and mock up where the tool box is gonna mount. Doesn't leave much room for the fuel can mounts, I'll have to rethink where to mount them.

I've always missed the grab handles on the M105 trailers when working with the M101 / M116 trailers. They make a great place to hang the safety chains to keep them up out of the way. I think I may cut a set off an old M105 I've got and install them on this trailer - or just bend up a set.

Added a pic of the new shoes I swapped out the other night. The trailer looks much better with the 37" tires on it, but I don't think these take too much away from the original look and it sits a lot closer to level on my truck.

Can you give me any leads on where to pick up a tool box as shown in your photos on the post quoted above? Many thanks.

number9

I ran across it here on the forum. Made a comment in a post that I'd like to have a couple of them and someone PM'ed me that they had a couple for sell and I bought them.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran across it here on the forum. Made a comment in a post that I'd like to have a couple of them and someone PM'ed me that they had a couple for sell and I bought them.

So how about it SS'ers? Anyone have a box like "number9" has on the front of his trailer that I can buy?

number9

So i took the trailer on it's maiden voyage this weekend hauling the boys dirt bikes and some gear . Worked out great!! I like having the side boards and gates on, makes it to where someone can't just walk by and snatch a pair of expensive boots or other gear.

Found that the armor dome light didn't help much loading at night, I wasnt running the tarp though, it'd prob do better under there.

I also noticed that the location I planned to install the grab handles will interfere with the landing gear crank, so I'm gonna have to rethink that, may just make a small ring or D to weld on the tongue to hang the chains from.

The LED tail lights are super sweet too.

number9

Figured I'd update. I finally got the toolbox welded on the trailer......and dented my freaking truck with it. I was used to jack knifing the trailer and watching in the mirror for the parking brake handles to come within a couple inches of the bedside and knowing to stop there. That allows me to get my truck tailgate down and unload my bike and then get the boys' bikes out of the trailer. First time I did that after mounting the toolbox I put a ding under the tail light. I was PISSED, but what are ya gonna do?

So far the tailgate chains are working out fine and I haven't noticed the tabs on the tailgate starting to bend like I was afraid they would so that's good.

The trailer is working out great and I really enjoy using it. Always get looks and comments when we are at a gas stop or just running down the road. I just love this trailer :beer:

Attachments