• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 is it a good 18ft camper tow rig?

jets1959

I have 18ft camper trailer and a 2004 chevy colorado pickup. The pickup tows the trailer just fine but the gas mileage goes from almost 30mpg down to about 8mpg. I am a mechanic and thought the M1031 would be the prefect truck for me. What do you think? What kind of Mpg do they get and where can I get a good one in the PNW? I just missed the one on Ebay and GL pulled the one at Ellsworth AFB I also want the PTO driven generator model. Thanks from the FNG Dwayne

JUNKYARDJOHN

The M1031 will pull your trailor anywhere you want like it's not back there, but you won't see a huge improvement in milliage over your colorado. The only way it'll ever see 30 mpgs is if its dropped from a plane. the M1031 has the 6.2 diesel, t-400 tranny, np205 transfer case with P.T.O. provisions (& this will kill your economy) a 14 bolt detroit locker with 4.56-1 gears in the rear & a dana 60 limited slip up front . Now you can change out the ring & pinion gear ratio or go with taller tires (essentially doing the same thing) but any gain in fuel milliage will be offset with a loss in torque. With diesel fuel at about 20% more in cost than gas, it will be about a wash with your colorado. You can expect 10... maybe 12 mpg if your going downhill with a tailwind. :-D The positive factor is you only have one payment, & the cool factor goes up about 87%. I have one. With the maintance shelter, 12 kw generator & air compressor, it must weigh about 8,000 or 9,000 lbs empty. hope this info helps you make up your mind. John :wink:

Last edited:

jets1959

The 30mpg is empty without towing a trailer the 8mpg is the high pulling a trailer, so ten is a big plus for me, plus as you say the cool factor goes way up. Thank you any and all information is most welcome, Dwayne PS here is a picture of my truck and trailer and I do think it would look even better with a M1031 pulling the trailer.

Attachments

JUNKYARDJOHN

The 30mpg is empty without towing a trailer the 8mpg is the high pulling a trailer, so ten is a big plus for me, plus as you say the cool factor goes way up. Thank you any and all information is most welcome, Dwayne PS here is a picture of my truck and trailer and I do think it would look even better with a M1031 pulling the trailer.
They're not exactly an economy vehical, & milliage doesn't seem to vary much if it's full or empty as they don't have to work hard at a heavy job. But the coooool factor is where it pays off for me, & with no payments & the little bit I drive....... I LIKE IT. John rofl

Utah CUCV

My experience, pulling this moby **** with an M-1008, is 13 mpg. The truck will pull anything under any conditions. Just not fast. Due to the low gears I don't recommend cruising any faster than 55 mph on a long trip. Not everyone will love you as they scream by at 80+ mph. Combine that with 100+ temp and no A/C, the noise...

Well I gotta back up JY John. Drive it because you like it. Otherwise it can be hard to justify.

Attachments

jets1959

I think that is the whole point. Getting anywhere I would want to take my trailer and maybe a little further off the trail with the most style points. I am in.8)

Darwin T

even with out a trailer you will probable never see 15 to 20 GPM on your best day. are you looking to relace your truck or your trailer engine? if you pull the trailer alot then the m1031 would work with your job and your trailer. however, if you only pull the trailer 2 or 3 times a year, keep your colorado pickup as a daily and get the m1031 for work and a trailer engine. asking anyone on here if you should get a military vehicle is like asking anyone in a crackhouse if you sould get high. everyone should have 1 or 12 MV's. :D

91W350

I expect my M1008 will break 30 mpg on this tank of fuel, but then my deuce flat towed it over 700 miles too. I have not fueled yet, but I am looking forward to this crazy high mileage figure I am going to get!

55 is faster than I run my 6.2, but some guys say they do it all the time. I normally try to stay under 50, around 48. When you listen to your 6.2 getting up into the 50's with the 4.56 axle, you should understand. We have guys posting they run 65 mph in the M1008 or M1028, not that I have not run that fast, but I find myself wanting to scoot my feet back from the firewall at that speed. I did 65 a couple of times to see if it would (after reading it here) and what it sounded like.... it sounded like it was screaming for relief....

JUNKYARDJOHN

I expect my M1008 will break 30 mpg on this tank of fuel, but then my deuce flat towed it over 700 miles too. I have not fueled yet, but I am looking forward to this crazy high mileage figure I am going to get!

55 is faster than I run my 6.2, but some guys say they do it all the time. I normally try to stay under 50, around 48. When you listen to your 6.2 getting up into the 50's with the 4.56 axle, you should understand. We have guys posting they run 65 mph in the M1008 or M1028, not that I have not run that fast, but I find myself wanting to scoot my feet back from the firewall at that speed. I did 65 a couple of times to see if it would (after reading it here) and what it sounded like.... it sounded like it was screaming for relief....
Yep.. I'm now a card carrying member of the old farts club. Lost my need for speed Years ago. I'm not in a big hurry to get anywhere anymore. I always tell people that I was picked up by a flying saucer in 1971 & have been 15 minutes late for everything every since. rofl John

jets1959

The colorado has the inline five. The truck I had before was a S-10 regular cab no frills pickup with a four banger. It got about 25mpg. The colorado is loaded and both were/are two wheel drive. I commute 25 miles each way everyday to work mostly the opposite direction of most of the traffic so not a lot of stop and go or waiting inline. There is one rather large hill up and down both ways. The four cyclinder was working pretty hard to make it up even with an empty truck. The five doesn't work hard at all. Since they started adding alcohol to the gas mileage has dropped to 28mpg :)

colelkhunter

also remember that if you have a diesel you could start to produce bio diesel. Or you could blend the home brew diesel with pump diesel to reduce the cost of your fuel. These are all very good reasons to have one around. after the initial purchase of equipment biodiesel costs about 1.00 a gallon to produce.

jets1959

This would be an addon truck, my colorado does great job as far as it was designed to do. Now I want to do a little more. The mileage listed are for unloaded highway miles. As for speed that is not an issue either, as long as it is safe on the freeway and get where a prius can't.:D

Hightechken

As already mentioned, With the stock gearing (4.56-1) Mileage is not the best, Nor is highway speeds very good...... Since they do have plenty of power, You would need to re gear for good highway use. (I get well over 20MPG with my M1009 that has 3.09 gears)
And my M1031 does good too, But just not very fast........

DXTAC

Kinda apples to oranges I know but we just got back from a family trip last week and pulled my Flagstaff Pop-up behind Mongo my 1009 and the mileage didn't really change at all. I still hovered around 19 mpg. The gearing is different and we don't have mountains in the Midwest but the cool factor was definitely there. I don't think I went about 65 the entire way. We had all the guys in the campgound coming around asking about the truck and all the gals frowning at how loud it was!! :D

Utah CUCV

DXTAC has interesting comments about mileage. My 1008 gets about 13 mpg when I'm pulling the trailer. Without the trailer is about the same. Mileage seems to improve a little on trails. Maybe due to lower speeds and no traffic lights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks