• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 is it a good 18ft camper tow rig?

jets1959

I have bought my M1031 and I am in the process of doing all the maintenance on it before I start pulling my trailer on long trips. When I get the milage worked out I will let everyone know. What I have done so far is put a trailer hitch on bothe the front and rear, installed a brake controller, changed the tires to 255/85r16s, changed out the injector pump because the old on leaked, drained and flushed the radiator, replaced the windshield washer bottle and radiator overflow bottle both because they were cracked, replaced the rear pinion seal because of leaking, changed the rear drive shaft u-joints, replaced the rear diff cover to a high capacity aluminum cover,and changed the oil in the rear diff and the engine, change the vacuum pump and the modulator valve, now the trans shifts very smoothly, installed a lighter plug in the ash tray so I can charge my cell phone and run my gps, change the wiper motor, change many vacuum and fuel rubber lines. things left to do are: front and rear wheel bearings, all five front u-joints, change the transfer case and trans fluid andwill be changing the trans pan to aluminum, change the front diff cover to aluminum and the fluid in it as well. The next major project is to install a swingout spare tire carrier on the rear pumper. Will keep you all up to date.:shock:

Hightechken

I have bought my M1031 and I am in the process of doing all the maintenance on it before I start pulling my trailer on long trips. When I get the milage worked out I will let everyone know. What I have done so far is put a trailer hitch on bothe the front and rear, installed a brake controller, changed the tires to 255/85r16s, changed out the injector pump because the old on leaked, drained and flushed the radiator, replaced the windshield washer bottle and radiator overflow bottle both because they were cracked, replaced the rear pinion seal because of leaking, changed the rear drive shaft u-joints, replaced the rear diff cover to a high capacity aluminum cover,and changed the oil in the rear diff and the engine, change the vacuum pump and the modulator valve, now the trans shifts very smoothly, installed a lighter plug in the ash tray so I can charge my cell phone and run my gps, change the wiper motor, change many vacuum and fuel rubber lines. things left to do are: front and rear wheel bearings, all five front u-joints, change the transfer case and trans fluid andwill be changing the trans pan to aluminum, change the front diff cover to aluminum and the fluid in it as well. The next major project is to install a swingout spare tire carrier on the rear pumper. Will keep you all up to date.:shock:

Any plans for changing the gearing so it can easily do highway speeds?
I have heard that the really cheap way is to just replace the rear ring and pinion, And then use caution to never use 4WD unless in mud or something really slick..... I am trying to learn the simple easy quick way to do it.......

jets1959

I just got off work and home now. Tommorrow again I have to work. How late and where does the car show last in steilacoom? Sunday and Thursday are my days off this week.

Attachments

jets1959

:beer:Another update on the progress. Have since the last update completed the lubing of the rear wheel bearings as well as installed new rear brake shoes and had the drums turned, drained and filled the transfer case, drained the tranny changed the filter and installed a new aluminum trans pan and refilled the trans, changed the trans dip stick could not read it anymore because of rust, $1.62 at pick a part, the dip stick must have been swapped out from another truck the trans fluid and the inside on the tranny looked good, and lastly replaced the harmonic balancer and seal. Still need to do the front end and make a tire carrier.:)

Attachments

Last edited:

jets1959

Well took the truck and trailer on it's first road trip together. Could hardly tell the trailer was back there execpt for it being a little slower to accelerate up to speed. The event was the PNW Rally in Napavine WA. If you missed it don't miss it next year.

Attachments

jets1959

Love that little trailer. Just the right size. How much does the little feller weigh?
Empty the trailer weighed 3154lbs full 5000lbs, but they don't make it anymore. Thor industries makes a similar trailer. You have to look on their web site and look at all models until you find it. The model I have is the Eco 18QB. QB is for queen bed. I hope this answers your questions if not feel free to ask more.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, it's a cool little trailer and the queen bed is great. FWIW I'd look into the cost of a wrap rather than paint it. At least it can be removed and the original finish still there. I have no clue what wraps cost so I could be WAY OFF.

jets1959

Thanks, it's a cool little trailer and the queen bed is great. FWIW I'd look into the cost of a wrap rather than paint it. At least it can be removed and the original finish still there. I have no clue what wraps cost so I could be WAY OFF.
That is a great idea!!! I will check that option out!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks