• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 axle assembly to accommodate dish-out combat wheels

drivebymashing

It's really close like less than a 1/4 inch. It fits though. I want to remove shoes wheels cylinders. I'm not sure backing plate will come off. It looks like it needs to be there.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was referring to the smaller bearing used on the deuce hub. When you "flip" the hubs all the weight is now carried by this smaller bearing. Since the hubs are the same as the M105 trailer why can't we use the larger M105 bearing there ?
Not the same... the only thing both hubs have in common is the diameter of the bore for the bearing cups.
The outer spindle diameter is 61,91mm for the M35, vs. 66.68mm on the M105. And the dimension "T" is 1/8" more for the 39590/39520 bearing, compared to the 392/3920. That means we could use the larger bearing there, but only if... 1) adding a sleeve on the spindle; 2) machining the M35 hub (on the flange side only), to make the bore about 1/8" deeper (otherwise there wouldn't be enough thread left, for the counter-nut); 3) creating a new oil seal...

All that for what... 25% longer life time - eventually...? I'd say, run good quality, stock size bearings there and safe time and money.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Okay G, Without having these in front of me or scale drawings I have to admit, the numbers get confusing. Your drawings help significantly. But is this comparison a comparison for use of the M105A2 bearing in a deuce hub on the deuce axle or the M105A2 axle?

I missed what you are pointing out by not comparing all of the dimensions. The T on 39520 and 3920 (cup width) are the same, but the bearing cone width are much wider (and different ID). I wish I had both of them (or even one) apart to compare and take dimensions.

It may be easier go back to plan 1 and machine off the wheel mount flange on the M105A2 hub and use the brake mount flange for the dish out mounting. Even if I machined off enough inside shoulder on a deuce hub so the bearing would fit and a seal go in, I don't know that the bearing placement on the axle is correct.

What seamed like an easy swap of hubs (M35 for M105A2), using the bearings for the axle (M105A2), appears to be not so easy of a swap.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......... But is this comparison a comparison for use of the M105A2 bearing in a deuce hub on the deuce axle or the M105A2 axle?
... Deuce hub on a Deuce axle... (I only wrote that in response to Greg's question.)

I wish I had both of them (or even one) apart to compare and take dimensions.
Give me a bit more time to completely pull apart a M105 (A2) axle and then come up with full drawings/dimensions.

I agree: whatever the solution was, this is not just swapping parts.

tobyS

... Deuce hub on a Deuce axle... (I only wrote that in response to Greg's question.)

Give me a bit more time to completely pull apart a M105 (A2) axle and then come up with full drawings/dimensions.

I agree: whatever the solution was, this is not just swapping parts.
Thank you very much G. Bearing placement on the axle and this swap have been debated both ways (in favor and against) and it will be great to have a definitive answer to what is required for dish out mounting (and have bearings approximately centered on the wheels).

gentrysgarage

Pics M135 axle

IMG_0729.jpgIMG_0730.jpgIMG_0731.jpg

Note according to Sam Winer the drums and adapters for the M105A1 (with 2 wheel cylinders per drum) are the same for the M211

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

This is the M105A1 axle?

M135 axle, edited previous post. Also for clarity, I am recommending checking out the M135 (singled deuce) brake drum and adapter for the offset to be helpful to you. These are only on the rear wheels the fronts of the M135 are the same as the M211.

tobyS

This thread popped up and I'll update a couple things. Running dish out A3 on a stock 105 puts the load entirely on the outer bearing...and wheels must be beveled for wheel nuts.

While eventually I will modify my rims for the deuce, it's too much $$ for a 105.

So...I'm going to bolster wheels, one piece 16.5 that can take a 37" hummer tire.

And just to put this up..... the 19.5" Isuzu budd wheels fit over the brakes fine and is under the legal limit. Tires are 31" dia.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks