• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 Cab Air Suspension rebuilt-wow, what a difference!

Reworked LMTV

IMG_1224.jpgIMG_1240.jpgIMG_1231.jpgIMG_1233.jpgIMG_1239.jpg

I replaced the air suspension on my M1088. It rides SO much better now. Notice how ballooned the old one was. The leading edge of the rubber shocks on mine were dry rotted. Checking your shock is easy and does not require removal. Just take a mirror and look at the rubber at the bottom. The shock should balloon and fill the cylinder. If it does not, you likely have a baView attachment PP938900-2G.pdfIMG_1110.jpgIMG_1109.jpgd shock or O ring or both.

Here are picts from the rebuild. I did not have a delay in shipping. They were in stock. I talked to Tech Support. Very Helpful. Sounded like they are aware of the need for replacement parts for military trucks and are addressing it. Mine DID NOT have O rings in the bore, so I had to buy some. Suspension rides about 3 inches higher now. Anyone know where I can get a new black rubber bushing to replace the one in the picture?

Qty Name SKU Each Subtotal
------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 PP997900 POWER PACKER $189.00 $378.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal $378.00
Shipping: UPS Ground $26.45
Tax Total $0.00
Grand Total $404.45

Order from Ohio Hydraulic

Last edited:

coachgeo

Did you replace with whole new shock and bag from Power Packer as a new unit or did you rebuild them from parts via Power Packer. Either way.. your cost ended up around?? and what all did that cover?

lesrrt

The bushing you are referring, looks similar to a Mercedes top cap rubber bushing they use on top of coil springs. Does Caterpillar show that on their parts schematic? Depending on the diameter, I have seen fellas make lift pucs from old hockey pucs.

Reworked LMTV

Did you replace with whole new shock and bag from Power Packer as a new unit or did you rebuild them from parts via Power Packer. Either way.. your cost ended up around?? and what all did that cover?
$400. You reuse the portion inside that looks like a typical shock absorber.

Reworked LMTV

Not sure CAT made these. Maybe I should contact Stewart & Stevenson. Hockey puck? Not a bad idea : )

snowtrac nome

after years of driving 1 tons around this area I do love the air ride on my cab with the conditions being what they are this may be something I will have do in the future

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$400 total is much better than $375/ea for the NOS cab air ride units on the big auction site. I will definitely keep this in mind if I ever face failing air ride!

yertnamreg

Just noticed a leak on one of mine and wanted to ask a quick question before I order parts.

In one of the part spreadsheets going around there is a mention of an "Airbag Sleeve" P/N (Firestone
W02-358-7074), which is much cheaper. It looks suspiciously similar to the PP part. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it would take to repair the system using just this part instead of the whole assembly?

Thanks!

agazza2

I ordered one of those for $40. But unless you have a way to buy and crimp on a new band at the top and bottom, this cannot be done. I ended up paying the $200 for the proper assembly and it was the best choice in my opinion. If you want to try the cheaper option, I will sell you mine for less than i paid for it as it has been just sitting on a shelf for the last month.

agazza2

That is correct, if you search my posts for FMTV upgrades and repairs I have photos. Plan on replacing the upper bushing as it will most likely be rotted out or missing.

coachgeo

I ordered one of those for $40. But unless you have a way to buy and crimp on a new band at the top and bottom, this cannot be done. I ended up paying the $200 for the proper assembly and it was the best choice in my opinion. If you want to try the cheaper option, I will sell you mine for less than i paid for it as it has been just sitting on a shelf for the last month.
did you try a good ol big hose clamp?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks