• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 camper conversion

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than it's a different view, I thought it would be interesting to see how it bends down around the edges. You might want to go with the heavier metal there, or it may not have the strength to carry any of us old guys if we were to climb up there for an inspection.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Other than it's a different view, I thought it would be interesting to see how it bends down around the edges. You might want to go with the heavier metal there, or it may not have the strength to carry any of us old guys if we were to climb up there for an inspection.
Its only a ga. thinner so it should be fine but even before i only stepped on the ribs not between them. But i will take a bunch of pics.

oldMan99

What a truly fantastic build. Truly inspiring. And just as impressive as the build itself is the cooperation of the pretty lady and her husband that are doing it. I'm jealous of that relationship! I mean how fantastic would it be to be able to have such a cool hobby that your life partner enjoyed as much as you do and not only helps out with the work but appears to enjoy doing it...?? I would say that you guys are the envy of just about every SS member! Good show!

Now, with that said... It has been over a year since the last post by the OP. I am hoping all is well! Assuming that all is in fact well.... UPDATES..!!! We demand updates.... Please??

I just finished reading the thread where this build started in the 3 way contest to see who would finish first. That was a very interesting read and a very nice job to be sure but this one... wow... That thread also just stopped about a year ago and I posted some questions asking for current pictures and status of the unit and so on. Since this thread also just suddenly stopped and I REALLY want to see the end result I'll ask the exact same questions here. Hopefully both OP's will answer their respective questions and that will give all of us working on or planning various projects more info and data to use to base our designs and work on.

So...

Now that is has been a bit over a year since this project, any chance we can get an update on "Owner Satisfaction" and any issues that may have come up during use?

How much did the project end up weighing? (Empty)

How did the tongue weight come out/is the tongue length about right? (How long is it from the front of the box to the center of the lunet?)

Did you ever mount anything on the tongue? (generator, water tank, spare tire....)?

If you did it again, what would you do differently?

What did you decide to do with the brakes? 1 master cylinder per axle or per side or just 1 or what??

Whatever you initially did with the brake design, how do you like it? Have you had to change/modify it? If so, how and how is the change working?

Got any recent pictures of it all done and in use?

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

poppop

Oldman99, Iam sure Danial will post up when he sees this but they stayed in the camper at the Ga Rally. They did a great job on it and it was nearly completed. Still some small stuff to do like the final painting. You are correct in stating that they are a fine couple as I have had the pleasure to be around them at two Ga Rallys. And not only that, Mahala can really drive a Duece. She attempted things at the rally I did not have the courage to do.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I appologize for lack of updates, the last few months before the rally we were busting our butts trying to get it ready, then after the rally we took a much needed break and put it on the back burner. But, as poppop said we did pull it to the rally and it towed great I did notice it on long hills but it it still a very empty shell so I can only imagine it's going to get harder to pull so keeping things as light as possible is top priority. Tongue weight right now is low, like 150lbs tops at the lunette ring but it will go up when things are added, like water tanks, batteries, generator, stuff like that. I still need to put the metal subfloor and the plywood in then i'll be at my "starting point" for building it into a camper and i'll weigh it then so when i'm done i'll know how much I put into it.

Brakes, i'm just going to use the original brakes and plumb service air into the back of the air pac.

Oh, if i had it all to do over again I would have found one in better shape to begin with, but then I guess we wouldn't have learned so much about it so I guess it was worth it, but I don't think I would do it again at least not as in depth as this one.

Tongue length i'm not sure of i'll have to pull a tape on it for you when i get home.

Oh and it is at least all one color now.

I have been holding off working on it, one cause it's to cold and two cause we are in the middle of trying to buy a new house, one with a shop i can work in, more on that to come!!!!!!!!

stampy

With the floor out you may want to put in saddlebags between the ribs on the box frame. I gained a lot of extra storage down there. Could be useful for water tanks, generator (if you remove a rib) propane bottle, etc. Batteries will fit right between the ribs also in the the plastic battery boxes from Wally World. I plan on going back with an all steel bed and using rubber matting to cover up (and insulate) the metal floor and access points but I should be able to access everything from inside the box when I am done and still keep everything looking stock outside.

A

A/C Cages

I showed this to my wife, Im planning on doing the same thing to my 109.
She said, you married the wrong woman and I will never get out in that shop like her.
So, wana trade wives? mines useless. lol
If mine gets a little dirt on her shoes she flips out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks