• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1102 trailer mods

jpg

I am still confiding swapping the tires out with 33in tires to drop the trailer height which will allow me to keep the roof top tent on and still be able to put it in the storage unit.
I did that. We put CUCV wheels on the trailer, so the CUCV spare would fit either truck or trailer. On a really bad day, If I need a second spare, I can take it from the trailer. I had one week when 3 old tires failed, so the trailer was without wheels while I went and bought 5 new tires.

Going from 37" to 33" tires only drops the axle 2" -- not enough to make a huge difference in the way the trailer rides. The smaller tires are *much* easier to handle. My daughter can change a CUCV tire easily. HMMWV tires are much heavier. In adverse conditions like mud or snow, I worry they might be too heavy for her.

The picture on the left is as-issued, empty, with 37" HMMWV wheels. In the middle, with 33" CUCV wheels and a one-ton load, it still isn't level. Note that my hitch is higher than some...
DSCF2371.jpg photo (22).jpg hitch.jpg

Making an M1101/1102 ride level behind a CUCV would require either raising the hitch or lowering the lunette rings in ways that I fear would compromise the strength of the truck/trailer connection. I use it the way it is.

Last edited:

sgthawk

Expidition. Portal is all things that you would need for abackhaul expidition. Tents, camping gear, trailers, food, different trails...ect. The Web site is world wide so you get great ideas from people all around the world.

sgthawk

The roof top tent comes with channel rails that fasten to the botton of the tent and have slide in adjustible brackets to fasten it to the roofrack.

20160802_060529.jpg

sgthawk

latest mods to trailer. I added two leveling and stabilizing C Jacks to the rear trailer and I am in the process of ditching the hydraulic breaks with eletric. I also decided to lower the tire size to 285/75/16 d rated tires to all better entry into my garage. The new house has a steep driveway angle and with the 37in tired it woulndt clear the approach angle.

sgthawk

it's a modern day chuckwagon. I use the tanks for cooking on my 3 burner stove and I also run my lanterns off of them with hoses. I also have a generator that runs off of propane so the gas cans are just for the tow vehicle.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

its a modern day chuckwagon. I use the tanks for cooking on my 3 burner stove and I also run my lanterns off od them with hoses. I also have a generator that runs off of propane so the gas cans are just for the tow vehicle.
That is a very cool set-up.

Did you know that you can run a refrigerator off propane also?

I only know that because a buddy of mine had a place in West Virginia sitting on top of a natural gas reserve, and he used to fire EVERYTHING off that tap. Talk about living off-the-grid. :jumpin:

sgthawk

I have been looking for a hot water source and kitchen sink set up and I scored a military medic scrub sink from govliquidatiin acution. The sink comes in a nice pelican case and has a 120vac heat / water pump source and made to work with 5 gal water cans which I already had. I think with alittle imagination I can also use it for shower.

mC_F6b0os1jf7TezZKrlsmA.jpg

sgthawk

That is a very cool set-up.

Did you know that you can run a refrigerator off propane also?

I only know that because a buddy of mine had a place in West Virginia sitting on top of a natural gas reserve, and he used to fire EVERYTHING off that tap. Talk about living off-the-grid. :jumpin:
I wish you didnt tell me that. Now im going to have to go look it up and add it to the build list. :lol:

sgthawk

I had to remove the jerry can bracket off the toung to make way for the new XO series jack. I will reuse the Jerry can breack up top where i keep my cans and generator.

20160807_131608.jpg

20160807_131243.jpg