• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1165

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a heck of an idea!
Maybe even replace the screw that holds it in place with a little knob...
Drop both pieces in your pocket and you have a cheap anti-theft device for sure.

Just need to be sure that you have a spare knob hidden away somewhere in the truck.
LOL -- Back in about 1998 or so my daughter was set in the front seat of a HMMWV at the Minnesota State Fair. She reached over and started it right up! (She was 2 at the time.). [Mom was in the Army Reserve and brought her to visit a few times... Clearly she'd watched how to start it.] The people manning the booth ran over and shut it off pretty quickly.

Needless to say, for many years after that the start switch was removed by the little screw to help 'avoid that' happening again. (or the battery was disconnected.)

Autonomy_Lost

When the tach wasnt working on my M1151, it turned out to be 2 wires that go to the AC output of the regulator on the alternator that were not plugged in.

Reactions: OBX

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the tach wasnt working on my M1151, it turned out to be 2 wires that go to the AC output of the regulator on the alternator that were not plugged in.
I gave them a good wiggle late last night and I unplugged the packard connection and put it back together. It drives me crazy knowing that one day it was fine and next it doesn’t work and all it has done is sit. I went looking at 4,700 pages of TM and I couldn’t find anything. I found one picture online and it was poor quality and I couldn’t read it

jake20

I've had some weird electrical gremlins come out of nowhere as well. I've got one of those grounding harnesses sitting ready to install, not sure if it'll fix anything but the more ground the merrier in my opinion. A weird example was my horn, all I had to do to make it work again is loosen the steering wheel adjuster and move the thing up and down enough to scrape some rust off the rails. Not a permanent fix but hey I can honk now.

Have you checked the sending/sensor output for the tach? My friend's truck had an intermittent transmission light, turns out it was the engine speed sensor connection. We re-seated the cable and all was good again. Not exactly sure how the tach hooks up but that's just my guess.

Autonomy_Lost

I gave them a good wiggle late last night and I unplugged the packard connection and put it back together. It drives me crazy knowing that one day it was fine and next it doesn’t work and all it has done is sit. I went looking at 4,700 pages of TM and I couldn’t find anything. I found one picture online and it was poor quality and I couldn’t read it
If your voltage is in the yellow and your tach doesnt work, maybe the issues are related. Both seem to indicate an alternator output issue. I would start troubleshooting the alternator.

BananaRay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might try cleaning the ground wires behind the gauges. I was chasing electrical gremlins causing the voltage gauge to be in the yellow along with the run light staying on and the transmission light pulsing while the truck was off. I had some bad ground connections that needed cleaning.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just watched a video from damage control customs and he had voltage in the yellow and his tach stopped working. He traced it back to a bad voltage regulator. He has the 200 amp generator and I have the 400 but it gives me something to start troubleshooting. He had a working one on another truck and he was able to swap it before he got a new one. This might be a good time to swap it out for the 200 amp.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got my 1165 started last night after 2 years of piecing it together. (Worked on it about an hour a month). It is an amazing feeling having it move. The brakes need bleeding though.
Good for you! I don’t have that kind of patience. Seems like I fix one problem and find another one. Old truck that’s been sitting forever what can you really expect…

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nobody wants to do it, but a weekend spent with several brass tooth brushes and a tube of Anti-Oxidation paste will solve a lot of electrical gremlins. start at the batteries. Clean them up, apply AntiOx and then disconnect everything wire by wire (one at the time), clean them, apply Anti-Ox, then reconnect.

It isn't sexy...

It isn't as cool as new big tires...

Nowhere near as nice as doors if it is cold or raining...

Nothing like a radio and big speakers so you can "jam" down the road...

But cleaning up the connections on a machine left out in the weather for 20 years will make it and you a lot happier.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nobody wants to do it, but a weekend spent with several brass tooth brushes and a tube of Anti-Oxidation paste will solve a lot of electrical gremlins. start at the batteries. Clean them up, apply AntiOx and then disconnect everything wire by wire (one at the time), clean them, apply Anti-Ox, then reconnect.

It isn't sexy...

It isn't as cool as new big tires...

Nowhere near as nice as doors if it is cold or raining...

Nothing like a radio and big speakers so you can "jam" down the road...

But cleaning up the connections on a machine left out in the weather for 20 years will make it and you a lot happier.
I’m all for doing whatever needs to be done but the few connections that I have checked are in great shape. Battery terminals are like new. I checked grounds behind dash but they changed the way they ground everything. Everything is at the back of my block on my m1123 but not on this truck.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’m all for doing whatever needs to be done but the few connections that I have checked are in great shape. Battery terminals are like new. I checked grounds behind dash but they changed the way they ground everything. Everything is at the back of my block on my m1123 but not on this truck.
Yes sir and cleaning that block should help you even if it looks good by eye.
Those gremlins are dang difficult to beat down...

The HMMWV isn't really like other trucks where the frame is the ground. Wires feeding the tail lights (plastic buckets) for example have a ground wire in the loom that feeds the light. Need to follow those wires to their source and give them a good cleaning.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed the air canister and new rubber intake with the ribs on it. My water fording elbow was torn halfway and I never would’ve known unless I took it apart or drove thru water. That might be a good thing to check when you first get your truck. I haven’t started it for awhile but today it started right up and then died. It started up with very little cranking, maybe twice what it normally does. It ran a little bit ruff but smoothed out after a few seconds. B90BBC0E-A1B7-4FEA-82A7-78D77079C98A.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks