• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 advice needed

sandcobra164

I was only kidding, not trying to insult you. Good condition trucks, with only maybe a couple of upgrades and most or all of the service work done easily pull $7000 now. A decent runner with good body, no upgrades, and little of the services done are starting around $5000. With the rust and questionable brakes, and complete lack of service... That truck would be worth $1500 if it didn't have the winch. The winch kit bumps the value. Looks like it has decent tires too. I don't care if you buy it, I'm not pushing you, nor am I going to buy it. Just sharing my thoughts.

Mr. Sandcobra, my apologies.
Jeepsinker,
You have nothing to apologize for as I never took your post as offensive. I'm just a regular person who enjoys the pain and pleasure that comes from owning a few older Military Trucks as well as sharing my experience with others on this site. You are more than welcome to call me Joseph. I'll consider the Mr. when I'm in my 50's but in my 30's, no Mr. required and we're probably close to the same age.

Gunnermac

Chief
Not many out there like there once was, however I bought 2 air force deuces from govplanet at Robbins AFB two weeks ago.

I haven't seen any for sell for over 2 years now. When I got my last one in 2013 they said there would be no more from Fort Lewis. They where all gone. Maybe out east there still are some for sell. Now with this other company selling all the military trucks at only 5 locations I have not seen any deuces either.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like that jeep and sand a lot of folks on my chat sites guess me in late 30's or so rofl and do not beleave me when I tell my age.
I say you can leave off the Mr too, well maybe when I start to look my age . :smile:

Eaglhawk

Well, if your truck was originally built in 54, they did major upgrades to it. I wish I had a picture of the front floorboard where the transmission shift lever comes through with the firewall. That floorboard piece and where it mates to the firewall was slightly different in the early gassers. The upgrade may or may not have had the entire cab replaced. But looking at the dogbones fenders, etc, if it was originally that old, probably only the frame is from the 50's while everything else is 70's or newer. Other things on mods are adaptors for new headlights, older version wiring connectors in some places, gas to diesel front motor mount adaptor, etc...

On M35's in general. Basically here in the Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado area the government has sold out of all their M35's... With some exceptions... A Couple are left here and there at some fire departments, but they mostly sold all of them (In rough shape) a year or more ago... Clearfield GSA yard has about 10 each A2's and A3's that are being held for use in case a fire department needs them (backup). But basically... THEY ARE GONE! Funny... In 2011-2012 complete running M35A2's where going dirt cheap and the A3's a couple grand higher... (I totally dislike the A3's for many reasons I will not get into here... I managed to get a couple dozen before they ran out and am happy I did so... I have the newer M923's but for driving rough terrain and knowing I can get there... The M35a2's beat out the rest... So if you know of a surplus yard near you that you can get reasonable priced parts it would be worth it since it has a winch and some upgrades. (Plus you get the fun of restoring it!!!) Also you can try to negotiate the price down a bit... Too bad... A lot of parts like you need were melted down for scrap from Jack Tomlin's old yard... Sigh...

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'll say I'm 17 too, at least my wife says I act like a 17 year old half the time ! Could also be early onset of dementia ! LOL
My wife says there won't be a second childhood for me because I'll never get out of my first one!

CUCVLOVER

ok guys I have another question that I didn't think was worthy off a new thread.
I have been looking about buying a deuce and im having a hard time finding one with a winch that's worth the money.
So here are my questions.
1: how hard is it to put a winch on a non winch truck?
2: what is required?
3: Is it worth it to buy a non winch truck and put a winch kit on it or just buy a winch truck?

thank you all.

Jeepsinker

Just buy a winch truck. You can add one, but they are expensive and somewhat labor intensive to install. A complete winch kit will cost $800- $1500, so if you find a $4000 truck and then add a winch kit you might end up with $5500 in the truck. You can probably find a winch truck for that, then just fix it up. You are better off buying a truck with winch that needs some work than buying a truck w/o winch that also needs work and then adding one.

OD_Coyote

I would agree with Jeepsinker on the estimated cost to put a winch on a non-winch truck. However, I would look at the overall condition of the trucks - WO/W vs W/W and if the WO/W truck is in better overall condition I would buy it.2cents

rustystud

ok guys I have another question that I didn't think was worthy off a new thread.
I have been looking about buying a deuce and im having a hard time finding one with a winch that's worth the money.
So here are my questions.
1: how hard is it to put a winch on a non winch truck?
2: what is required?
3: Is it worth it to buy a non winch truck and put a winch kit on it or just buy a winch truck?

thank you all.
Just like jeepsinker said get a winch truck to begin with. One thing he forgot to mention is that the PTO's are getting real scarce. You can get them for $600.00 at some of the surplus dealers for now.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just buy a winch truck. You can add one, but they are expensive and somewhat labor intensive to install. A complete winch kit will cost $800- $1500, so if you find a $4000 truck and then add a winch kit you might end up with $5500 in the truck. You can probably find a winch truck for that, then just fix it up. You are better off buying a truck with winch that needs some work than buying a truck w/o winch that also needs work and then adding one.

Thing is, the pto winch on the deuces is a 10k winch. Adding the pto winch is a pita.... but you could add an 18k electric winch for about $1k all in....

And while I agree a pto winch is generally better than an electric winch (duty cycle); ease of install, cost, and increased line pull would make the 18k very appealing to add to a non - winch truck. ..

or am I missing something?