• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 Super Singles Difference & Installation

Hummer Guy

I'm curious as to what I'll need to mount super singles on my deuce and what difference will I expect? I heard some people get better speed out of these, but what about steering? Also, what will I need to mount these? Will these fit directly on? I would like to just replace all 10 of my wheels/tires. Does anyone know where I can get these that's already mounted to the wheels?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 395's (actually 15.5's) came on 50-50 offset wheels, probably from a M1076 trailer. The advantage to this is this offset means you don't have to worry about your steering hitting the tires.

I have a full set for sale (dirt cheap), with adapter plates but shipping would be steep to LA.

I don't think you need hydraulic steering, once the truck is moving at any speed you can turn the wheel - I have a tight driveway, in a city, on a one-way street, getting in/out was a pain but far from impossible. If you plan on parallel parking the truck I could see the advantage though, or if you off road a lot. It is heavier to turn, I really noticed that when I switched back to dualies.

While my XL's are rated at 55, I frequently drove them around 60 and, maybe 65 downhill with a tailwind. My thoughts on this are that I wasn't carrying a load and most safety ratings in the US have a margin of error. As for your speed, well, a 46" tire is 15% bigger than a 40" tire, so you can go 15% faster. This is a bit simplistic because nothing is exact, but you should be able to do 60 with the 46" tires, though it might take you a while to get to that speed as long as you're not going up hill.

Oh, and I flipped the castor shim. That really seemed to take the edge off of highway driving with the bigger tires. Before it seemed like I was always fighting to keep the truck in its lane. If you don't hardly do much highway driving, I wouldn't worry about this - it's really noticeable at higher speeds.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Caster. Just like casters on a shop cart. Gives a swiveling wheel the ability to turn easily, and return to straight.

Nothing to do with beans...

Probably easier to go to any 12.00-20 or so, on M34/M135 single wheels. Works great, no mods or adapters needed.

DG

Last edited:

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Guys , Im just getting ideas for what Id like to do. cheap as possible yet correctly done. Its scary times to be taking a loan but I need a big work truck and something I can work on myself.. I'll post some questions so I don't hi-jack this thread . Blessings to you and yours

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a couple of threads that talk about the flip, though maybe rotate is a better way to refer to it. Essentially, you're rotating it 180 degrees. There's a hole it it to remount it, and it's not in the center so a new one has to be drilled.

First link has pics on the first page.

Hummer Guy

My choice is 395's on aluminum MRAP rims and adapter plates.

Cruising speed >60mph.

Steering is very heavy at low speed off road.
I know, old thread, but I'm finally getting around to getting these tires on, I just have to swap the wheels out.

What RPMs do you have at 60Mph? Im going with the same MRAP rims and adapter plates but the goodyear tires

Attachments

Hummer Guy

Okay Im back on this again, I have the aluminum wheels on the tires, which side does the adapter plate go on and is it different in the rear?

(can't believe how much easier it is to remove aluminum wheels over the steel LMTV ones from the tires)

KN6KXR

Don't know about the tires but 3010-00-740-9623 ADAPTER, GEAR RATIO will get 395's on my '66 M35A2 real accurate on the speedometer like 2 or 3mph at 60. That's all I have for you....

ToddJK

Okay Im back on this again, I have the aluminum wheels on the tires, which side does the adapter plate go on and is it different in the rear?

(can't believe how much easier it is to remove aluminum wheels over the steel LMTV ones from the tires)
The adapter plate goes behind the rim as that is actually what bolts to the hubs, same all the way around. There are other threads that dive deeper into flipping the rear/front for better wheel alignment.

I was just out the other day, I generally like to cruise around 55 as it hovers around 2200-2250 rpm. Much better than 2500-2600 rpm when running the NDT or 9x20 tire.

Hummer Guy

I finally got to actually putting these on the truck but Im kind of stuck, how do we air the rear tires up? the valve stem is so close to the hub that I can't get my pump fitting to go on it, is it only able to be aired up with the wheel off the truck? Also, do we use the stud with the square head again? I put the sqaure head stud back on and then mounted my wheel/tire on.

I have the aluminum Hutchinson wheel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks