• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 transmission problem

ODdave

you think this is causing your shift problem?

I know this sounds stupid but did you make shure the shifter was tight? mine when i got it from gl was snug but could be pushed far to the right causing it hard to get into 4/5 because i couldnt get it over far enough. FWIW.

cvh20

The part that confused me was the shifter itself seemed to be "off track". When you shift to 4th or 5th gear with just the shifter and fork assembly held in a vice, the shifter seems to be trapped so that it could not move the third fork to engage the 4th or 5th gear. Which came first? The mis-assembled shifter or the burned up gears?

Anyone got a tranny for sale close by?

ODdave

The part that confused me was the shifter itself seemed to be "off track". When you shift to 4th or 5th gear with just the shifter and fork assembly held in a vice, the shifter seems to be trapped so that it could not move the third fork to engage the 4th or 5th gear. Which came first? The mis-assembled shifter or the burned up gears?

Anyone got a tranny for sale close by?
The trans is burnt? was the sincro rubbing the whole time or what part is burnt?

cvh20

That could be part of the problem. I took the shift out of another deuce and stuck it in just for grins and it would not shift into 4th or 5th. It felt exactly the same as the first shifter. SO basically I don't know exactly what the problem is, but was hoping a fellow SS expert could give be some ideas to try before I replace the whole thing.

ODdave

drain your fluid and inspect your counter gear, if all looks ok you can change you mainshaft without removing the trans (if it is needed)

If i where in your position, i would either fix your top plate OR find one from a good trans and toss on it BEFORE any thing else. Drive it and see how it feels.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
4/5 syncos are beyond BAD, if won't go into 4/5 at all, the burnt look may only be a look, what does the oil SMELL like ????? BURNT ?????, I have seen NEW gears in trans be different in color or shade

the op stated that he tried ANOTHER top, still the same NO 4/5

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know....that tranny really looks too new! If that gear was seriously overheated it should appear blue-ish/ black, not gold braun... If that tranny had never been shifted into 5th those gears never saw any load yet on the teeth flanks, to appear clean and polished. What if that varnish is from the original packaging?
Maybe its just a faulty syncro, stuck from the first day on? Feel the shift collar, it should have a little play, back and forth while in Neutral.
I would pull out the mainshaft, carefully inspect syncro and also remove snap ring and trust washer following by 5th gear. Then check sleeve and inner gear suface, of course.

I still see no reason to replace the whole tranny!

G.

Last edited:
That happened to me with 2/3. The clutch got dropped just a little to quickly while in 2nd and it caused the gear to jam itself onto the main shaft. I was able to get SOME very minor movement with some love taps and a crow bar, but in the end I replaced the transmission.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
GT, think it might be bad 4/5 synco, like twisted, like thinking the trans is in 2 but is in 5 and droping the clutch with RPM

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to imagine how that kind of "miss-shift" could leave the syncro inoperative, but guess everything is possible...!?

Let's wait what he finds...

Pic shows a 4-5th syncro from its 5th gear side, and shifted into 5th position.

G.

Attachments

When it happend to me these teeth got shreaded and jammed leaving it stuck in the 2nd position, it was only after some serious effort on the shifter that I was able to get it back to the neutral position, and from there on it was like 2/3 never existed. You couldn't even feel where they were supposed to be when you tried to find either one.

Attachments