• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 is shimmying

willy

Hi I took my M35A3 out for the first time and it started to do a shymmy at 40 MPH and it did not get better at 48MPH.
Where should I look first.
Does the power steering unit have any thing to do with that.???
I know how to repair a shimmy in a MB or M38A1
I do not think this is the same or is it
Willy

Last edited:

YOUNG GUN

Are you talking about the steer axle, or the whole truck?

When I first bought mine, it had a really bad shaking/bouncing above 40mph; The first thing I did was checked all the tire pressures. The guy I bought it from said he ran the tire pressure at 60psi because it ran smoother; I checked all the pressures and they were at 60psi.

I decided to lower the pressure; 45psi in the front tires & 40psi in the rear tires.
This solved my problem immedietly.

I don't know if this is the same issue that you are having, but I switched up to 395's recently and had similar issues that were resolved by adjusting tire pressure.

Hope this helps.

willy

No I am not missing the weights or shields and the CTIS is working by keeping the tires at 45 pounds.
I will look at this a bit closer can these tires be balanced in a tire shop.???
Willy

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it violent? You'll have some shimmy from all that crap on the wheels. This isn't your dad's station wagon. I believe I've heard the term death wobble driving a deuce..... Other than that, time to check bearings and all the suspension components. These things shake. Part of the thrill factor. You might get overturned in a ditch anytime..... BWHAAAAAAAA.

willy

Is it violent? You'll have some shimmy from all that crap on the wheels. This isn't your dad's station wagon. I believe I've heard the term death wobble driving a deuce..... Other than that, time to check bearings and all the suspension components. These things shake. Part of the thrill factor. You might get overturned in a ditch anytime..... BWHAAAAAAAA.
Did you remove all off that crap or did you find a way that it is working.
I do not think that AM-General built in a shimmy in there trucks.
I am sure that they worked on this also.
Willy

willy

I understand that some thing is not right
I was asking where to begin looking, if there is such a begin.
Thank you for your info on tire pressure.
Willy

YOUNG GUN

Put the front end up on jack stands and use a prybar to lever the front tires around; you should have no movement at all.
If you do, it could be bearings or the king pin bushings worn out.

willy

it is called the Alcan 2012 put on by MVPA
The national club
They will travel in Augut the Alcan HWY in rememberence off the Hwy built in 1942 I was thinking off taking my M35A3 but not with a shimmy
Willy

Hoefler

I have two A3's that had this wobble. I fixed them both by airing up the fronts to 50 PSI. I run the backs at 45 PSI and have the CTIS shut off. If this does not fix it, take a closer look at your tires. Due to CTIS system failure-most M35A3's you see on lots will have flat tires. When they sit like for a long time, it harms the tire. You can usually spot that the tire has been sitting flat for some times by looking at the shoulder and see if it has flat spot staining-if so, replace wheel tire.
Note-when airing up these tires, keep a safe distance. I bought a clip on air chuck-couple bucks, and set my air compressor to 50 PSI to fill up these tires. You never know the integrity of a tire that was sitting flat for a a long time.
Read the threads about trans fluid too.
Read the thread on Marvel Mystery oil for the air power steering.
Above all, enjoy your A3. They are super fun trucks to drive and own.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks