• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 is shimmying

goodguyzy

Maybe you don't understand, it doesn't matter if you change the fronts to the rear or whatever. Unless you put brand new tires on its going to shake. The minimum you need to do is dismount the tires and replace the valve stems. Understand when they remand these trucks some things they did right but many things they didn't. The tires are probably one of the worst choices they made.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is wrong with my A3 I am getting very tyerd with this thing
I have changed tires and wheels from the rear to the front
By my measurement the toe in is 1/4 inch
Now the rear tires are going down to 20 LBS is this because off the CTIS
I am about ready to get rid off this truck what a piece of s***t.
I am sorry I can believe some people say it is a sweet truck to drive it is shaking me to dead and nothing I have done sofar is making a change.
Monday next I have a apointment to check front end alignment we will see.
Also one off the vent is hard to blow up with compressor set at 125 LBS it take 20 min to air up to 50 LBS where is that problem.????
May be I should remove the CTIS.
Willy
Please be more informative. You say the rear tires are going down due to the CTIS? How so? With the CTIS on and truck running or just sitting for a while?
If it's running and you're getting venting from the axle, you have bad seals or loose axle nut.

Best way to check for air leaks you can't hear and locate is a spray bottle with dishwashing detergent and water. Spray it around all the hose connections, in the hole in the rim where the pipe comes through and the back where the pipe goes into the rim(wheel turret) If you get bubbles in the hole where the rims meet, you have a bad oring that needs to be replaced. If you have bubbling at the grommet well that's self explainatory. Any good shop can take the wheels apart if you don't have the tools fairly cheaply. I had two of my orings and grommets replaced $40 a tire labor, I supplied the new orings and grommets from Eriks.

Like a previous post said, have you checked your bearings? You'll have some shaking period from the unbalanced stuff on the wheel, Hard to determine on the internet what "shimmying" is of course.

willy

Dear Patriot off many,
My tires are going down over 2 night from 45 to 20 LBS.
I have taken the wheels off and try to moved the hub or with the wheel on and crow bar could not find any looseness
I am retired but used to work in a Jeep shop so I think I am familiar loose bearings but I have ordere a wrnch to take off the nuts and will take off the hub and will see if any thing is broken.
Thank you guys for talking to me it is lonely at my place no one has a A3 to talk too.
Keep on trucking
What is the deal with Erik charging $930.00 for set off A3 Bearings why are they so High.
Is there no Timken wholesaler that has these bearings.????:sad:
Can one use A2 bearings if you do not use the CTIS I am about to dismantle that system at least for the front.
Willy

KsM715

The bearings are specific to the CTIS on the a3. Ive read they are pricey no matter where you get them.

I usually jump in and give guys grief about a3's (all in fun of course) but it sounds like you've about had enough grief with this truck. Don't give up the fight just yet. You'll get it fixed and probably love the truck once its rolling smoothly. I'd look for a new set of tires all together. I've heard of the a3's leaking down and sitting flat in the storage yards. I'd be willing to bet thats where your problem is.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dear Patriot off many,
My tires are going down over 2 night from 45 to 20 LBS.
I have taken the wheels off and try to moved the hub or with the wheel on and crow bar could not find any looseness
I am retired but used to work in a Jeep shop so I think I am familiar loose bearings but I have ordere a wrnch to take off the nuts and will take off the hub and will see if any thing is broken.
Thank you guys for talking to me it is lonely at my place no one has a A3 to talk too.
Keep on trucking
What is the deal with Erik charging $930.00 for set off A3 Bearings why are they so High.
Is there no Timken wholesaler that has these bearings.????:sad:
Can one use A2 bearings if you do not use the CTIS I am about to dismantle that system at least for the front.
Willy
Like I said, you need to spray everywhere with detergent and water to find where they are leaking. Probably the oring or grommet but possibly just the air connections under the shield. About $40 a tire is what the going rate here is for labor to pull the rims apart and replace grommet and oring.

There are roughly 6000? A3's made so unfortuantely spare parts aren't that common for the CTIS system. I forget who it is, but there are kits to convert your axles to A2 but you lose the CTIS.
Oops 319 posted the link for the kit.

willy

This is the route I am taking I orderd the parts for converting the front wheels to regular A2 conversition taking out the CTIS and have the tires and wheels balanced if that is not possible I will have to buy new tires.:(
I am getting pritty tired off removing and replacing front tires.
Today I had my toe and toe out realigned it was out but not by much (they did not tell me how much)
It felt better on the way home but still not the way I would like it to feel if I drive my A2 is the difference between haeven and ****.that wobble is very scary.:evil:
Any way I am making progress.:???:
Willy
p/s one comp queted me 573.00 for one bearing A3 and Erik wants 934.00 so the conversion for 675.00 for a axle is cheap anough.

Last edited:

Hoefler

Maybe you don't understand, it doesn't matter if you change the fronts to the rear or whatever. Unless you put brand new tires on its going to shake. The minimum you need to do is dismount the tires and replace the valve stems. Understand when they remand these trucks some things they did right but many things they didn't. The tires are probably one of the worst choices they made.
I have three A3's. On every one I have found at least two new tires that appear to have never been flat-they all still had long nubs on them. I put the good ones on the front and no shaky.
I have some tires that have mud stains on them from being flat and sitting-those take up the rear for now.

willy

Today was a good day I have one tire and wheel balanced and was able to go 48 MPH without a Death wobble or shimmy.:)
So Monday I will install the other front tire with all CTIS equipment removed and balanced and I Hope that it will be the end off my Shimmy with stock tires
Oh well that is my hope so I can started on making my bed for the Alcan HWY trip
Willy:beer:

willy

By taken off all CTIS system pieces, The cover, that extra weight,
And put a valve onto the valve stem then balanced the tire and wheel with regular wheel weights
Willy:)

willy

I may add that I have bought a conversion kit for the bearings
Take the A3 bearings out and put in A2 with all the pieces that go with it
Now I have 2 sets off spare bearings for my rear axle at 573.00 and Erick 930.00
I think that is a bit much now that I have spares they will never go out.
But at least I am prepared.
Willy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks