• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3/M36A3 In cab heater

Boatcarpenter

Went by a Guard Transportation Battalion today about 40 miles from home. Stopped in to check out the vehicles that were just back from Iraq. Lots of M915 and M915-A1's. Checked out a M35A3 and a M36A3. Like the heater mounted inside on the passenger side. Takes a little footroom but not much. I really like the idea that it takes inside air and keeps reheating it. Has anyone tried to mount one like that in a Deuce? I may investigate that possibility when time permits with my heater. Let me know what you know about this. Thanks.

marksgarage2

heater

I bought the stock heater kit for my deuce. It will cook you out of the cab on a 15 degree day. The best part is most of it is under the hood. On most of the days in the winter you don't need the blower on.

Boatcarpenter

No Kenny, it doesn't look like that. I haven't had a chance to compare what I saw to my uninstalled heater, but it appeared to be very similar.
Bomar, my GF's Toyota has a lever on the dashboard that either selects outside air or recirculates. Problem with that is in cold weather all the moisture from the occupants ends up condensing on the windshield. I worked at a dealership for a while and we would have people come in on bitter cold days complaining that there defrosters weren't working. We would go out and flip the lever to outside air and the windshield would clear right in front of them.

PS. It looked like it used the same deflector box located in the same position but I guess it might have to be reversed because the airflow coming to it would be reversed.

bomar76

Hmmm...fresh air heaters have been a requirement on motor vehicles for eons due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Rule or not, I wouldn't dream of riding in a vehicle that didn't use outside air for the interior heat.

h1crwchf

not legal?

bomar76 said:
You mean is doesn't use fresh (outside) air for the heater?

That is not legal in a motor vehicle....
...all three of my civilian vehicles have a switch or lever that lets you chose between outside air or recirculating the inside air regardless of the temp setting...?

Wick246

bomar76 said:
Hmmm...fresh air heaters have been a requirement on motor vehicles for eons due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Rule or not, I wouldn't dream of riding in a vehicle that didn't use outside air for the interior heat.
I can't see any chance of carbon monoxide poisoning from heaters using hot water for heat. :roll:

bomar76

Wick246 said:
bomar76 said:

I can't see any chance of carbon monoxide poisoning from heaters using hot water for heat. :roll:

I freakin give up on this...
:roll: :roll: :roll: Back at you.

rmgill

There's probably some risk of CO entering the cabin from leaks in the exhaust and additional leaks in the firewall and air plumbing. More so with our trucks, but as drafty as the cabs are are, I have to wonder.

If I lived up north, I'd look at it, but the standard cabin seems to work nicely. If you wanted to recirculate air, I'd see about adding a switch ahead of the heater and getting the air from the cabin with the switch drawing some air from the cabin and some from outside or just from outside on the two settings. There must be a nice and small diverter that does this...

Wick246

[quote I freakin give up on this...
:roll: :roll: :roll: Back at you.[/quote]

Sorry if I hurt your feelers... It wasn't intended. I was thinking (typing) outloud about why there would be a problem with a heater core and monoxide. From the heater itself or maybe exhaust leaks entering the cab elswhere and using the heater to bring in fresh air? Anyways carry on...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as a deuce, I just can't see anyone coming under to CO just by using recurculated heat. I would much rather recurculate from inside the cab. What happens when the little hose going to the side panel breaks, and it will? You get fresh engine compartment air. Even with that little chance of CO poisoning. Also consider if you don't have heat, where's the fresh air coming from now? Again, all these comments are referring to the deuce only.

rmgill

I poked around and found a walk around of an M35A3 on webshots. This is the heater. Looks like it might pull from the right side of the cab and not go through the engine compartment at all.

Attachments

Boatcarpenter

Yup, that's exactly what I saw. You have to run the hoses through the firewall on that side of the engine compartment. Mounting it there does not take up as much room as you would think. It also would make working on the drivers side of the engine a lot easier. I think it is a good tradeoff. Seriously considering my install that way. The one I looked at I could feel under the heater and feel the open fan. The housing on the right may pull air in from the vent on that side. I have to go back when I have more time and light to take pics and check it out better.

Boatcarpenter

Heater Project

I have started to try to mount my heater in the cab. It is slow going as I don't have access to a warm shop (don't say anything DR, I already know it's warm in Texas!!!!!!!!) and also I don't have all the metal fabbing equipment ( I do for wood, but I didn't think that would work very well :( .
Consequently, I have to use off the shelf stuff from my local hardware store and put it together like an Erector Set. The two pictures show the blower motor and core housing hooked to the diverter box all attached to two pieces of 1" angle. Note that I had to turn the diverter box around because the warmed air will now be coming from the right. The two pieces of angle will be bolted up to two braces running from the lip on the bottom backside of the dash to the fire wall. The hoses will come in high on the firewall by the air filter housing and swing down to two 90deg. elbows to be added soon to the heater. Controls and wiring as needed.
I apologize for the quality of the pics but I'm just starting to fool with digital after 30+ years of 35mm.

Attachments