• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Top

Rhodesia

I just bought a M37 canvas top and i'm having a **** of a time putting it on, it fits ok but it seems to be just about an inch too short either way you install it. Do you have to wet the canvas down then stretch it or heat the canvas to strech it in order to make it fit, any help would be great. I do have the right one I checked. I have a M37 1953 Dodge truck

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should fit snug with minimal pulling or stretching. A 50 year old NOS top may have shrunk. If it's a new repro, send it back.

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you do, do not take the top off when it is wet!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't ask me how I know this.

Frank

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do it on a hot day. Drape it over the cab for a couple of hours until it is nice and hot; pliable and stretchy.

It will probably still be tight, but it will go on much easier. In fact, it will still be tight for the half dozen or more times it comes off or goes on, but it will get easier each time.

Patience is a virtue.

FrankUSMC

Back in the 70s, we would go out 4 wheeling in our jeeps, with the tops off. When we returned the tops would not fit back onto the jeeps. We would drive into the fire station, and turn the heat on. Later the tops would snap back on.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Rhodesia

It was brand new from Surplusjeep.com in oroville, california I'm sure it is a repro because there name is stamped in the canvas

USMC4302

FWIW, I have a repop top on my M37 and it's tight but nothing that elicits more than the usual grunts and standard profanities. No idea where mine was sourced, though -- came with the truck.

just me

One thing that happens in the upholstery business too often is people don't scale up the pattern they have to allow for shrinkage. Waxed canvas will shrink 3 to 6 percent. You need to make the new that much larger. (Origin of the old saw. Never put a new patch on an old item.)

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for informational purposes, my top came from Midwest Military. It was made by the J.J. Johnson Co. who is the original manufacturer for these canvas tops. They are still making them. Mine has always fit very well.

New Life Canvas (Mona Roth) makes absolutely the best reproduction canvas items for these trucks, in my opinion.

If you ever need to replace your top in the future, I would start with New Life and then Midwest Military.

Just a suggestion.....

Rhodesia

It was brand new from Surplusjeep.com in oroville, california I'm sure it is a repro because there name is stamped in the canvas

Rhodesia

You can see from the pictures why I can't put the top on, it fits in the back no problem but trying to pull each side over just pulls the other side out and it is still too short to cover the windshield. I know everyone says to use heat or let it sit in the sun for a while but here in Oregon the weather is about 40 degrees so the sun is out of the question, Surplus city jeeps still insists this is the right size and they never had a problem, I have the right vehicle for the top, the old canvas I took off was dry rot real bad but the only change was my new top has a zipper flap and the old one only had a clear plastic for a window without the two zippers to roll up. so I'm all ears for any help here and please don't tell me to take it to death valley and then put it on, that's just way too hot. LOL
M37 side top rhight side.JPGM37 side top.JPG

Last edited:

just me

Ok. here is your problem. (Two that I can see) One, and the most important.
You aren't following the directions in the owners manual or TM's.
The FIRST thing you do is slide the rope into the FRONT of the windshield from passenger side to drivers side and center it in the track. (I find this easy to do standing in the cab with the top upside down on the hood.)
Flip the top over the cab and start to pull it over the rear top bow.
Slide the ropes into the tracks in the side bows and pull them to the bottom. You may need to go from side to side to do it or you may be able to pull one side down fully and then the other.
NOW you can hook the sides in place on the side bows.
Then tie down the back to the rope hooks.
The second thing I see weird is the use of snaps as rivets in the side clips. That will keep the sides from ever fitting flush and tight. (Unless you can accurately locate and install snap bases at those locations.)

Page 2-176 in TM9-2320-212-20 found on this site
and 2-19 in the operators manual.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?83365-TM-s-for-the-M37
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?99577-TM-9-2320-212-10-M37-Series-Operator-Manual

Last edited:

Rhodesia

Thank you I will try this, The old canvas that came off did not have snaps, the metal was sewn into the canvas from what I can see.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sewn in metal "L" angles are the correct side attachments over the doors. There is an error in the new top you got from Surplus City. That is not a correct reproduction.

Rhodesia

anyone knows who still makes and sell the right top then? with out the snaps. now the snaps don't appear to get in the way but there must be a reason snaps were added for the M37

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Midwest Military or New Life Canvas.

New Life Canvas would be my recommendation; nothing wrong with Midwest Military, but Mona at New Life is absolutely fanatical about perfection and will provide an exquisite reproduction top.

Just my experience and 2 cents worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks