• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 cargo trailer for M1009

CycleJay

Hi Rick,

With all due respect, I do not beg, never have and never will.
I know I have posted a bit.. But I only post seeking guidance or assistance,
not character assassination, or insults. Criticism is fine though.

And if there is anyone I myself can help in any way I can, I would be glad to do it.

I have NOT spent all THAT much on my M1009, compared to what I have read you guys
have spent on yours.. I read those rebuild threads here often..
I can imagine those ground-up rebuilds cost a heck of alot more then,
what I have spent on mine.

And I do not mind spending the money on mine, to get mine in good working condition.
I spend the money on it, when I have it.. Because I do NOT have dreams for it,
I have plans for it.

I was NOT brought up around these military vehicles, like most of you.
So I come here to learn, as much as I can..
I also do not have the unlimited resources most of you seem to have.

I inquire often about how much certain repairs/upgrades cost, so when I do have the
money, I CAN do them myself, get them done, or save up for them.

At least I am polite enough to NOT tell any of you here, to just sell your MV's when you
guys post problems with them, and go out and buy civilian vehicles instead.

As for last month, I was merely inquiring if anyone had a vehicle, or knew of one,
that I could get into and make monthly payments on, just like anyone else makes
payments on their cars..
If I had an extra vehicle I was not using, and someone came to me with such a request,
I would do what I could to help them, unless I felt I could not trust them.
Because that is simply the right thing to do.
Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you.

Also, the status of my life changes from time to time, so that is why sometimes I can
afford things, and some times I cannot unless I make payments or save up.
Plus the current needs that I require to get by or get things done sometimes change as well.

This thread was started with a simple request, I was NOT begging for mercy,
just seeking information to find something I might need in the near future.

I thought that was what SS was here for, for people to help each other when it comes
to Military Vehicles..

Maybe I will split from being here on SS, so I do not have to be subjected
to any more harrassment.

I am strong enough to take alot, but everyone has their limit..

Enough said...

By the way, I would like to thank all of you here, that have provided me with helpful
information, advice, etc.. without resorting to such harrassment.

Have a good day Sir, God bless you,

CJ

Moderator: You may close this thread anytime you wish.
Thank you and Good day...

TyJustice

Maybe I will split from being here on SS, so I do not have to be subjected
to any more harrassment.

I am strong enough to take alot, but everyone has their limit..

Enough said...

By the way, I would like to thank all of you here, that have provided me with helpful
information, advice, etc.. without resorting to such harrassment.

Have a good day Sir, God bless you,

CJ

Moderator: You may close this thread anytime you wish.
Thank you and Good day...[/QUOTE]

I think your overreacting a little and I can see both sides, but you need to grow thicker skin.

CycleJay

TyJustice,

Thank you for your message and advice.

But if I seem like I am overreacting, my apologies.
But I think my skin is thick enough, as I said, I can take alot.
But everyone reaches a limit, before they start to get a little annoyed with mistreatment.

Have a good day Sir, I wish you well..

CJ

100acre

m116a2

Have you considered towing a M116a2 generator trailer they have less steel, so less weight, and have bows and sometimes a cover which one can see easily in reverse. You could easily attach plywood to the sides for hauling goods ect.. They're have been photos showing M116a2's as campers and other modifications too. I just used one to tow a m101a1 pioneer trailer 12.5 hours and had not an issue.

The attached photo is a m116a2 generator trailer in front of a m101a2 cargo trailer.

Attachments

Last edited:

CycleJay

Huphalump,

Thank you for the message, and the information.
I had not considered that trailer, but it is duly noted, and I will take it into consideration.
I was mostly inquiring about the M416, because from what I have read here and elsewhere,
that is by the book, the correct trailer for the M1009.

Have a good day Sir. I wish you well..

CJ

P.s. This is the kind of response I was hoping for when I posted this thread in the first place,
information, not flames..

CycleJay

Hello Huphalump,

Again, thank you for the message and the information.
It has been duly noted, and will be considered.

Do those trailers have any brakes of their own?

Good night,

CJ

100acre

The m116a2 has surge brakes and only weighs I believe 750 lbs + or -. A little other point about the m101a2 is that they can easily be made to act as a dump trailer.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Dear CJ do not let a few idiots get you down. As to the trailer question I have put thousands of miles on a 1009 with a 101a2 loaded behind it without any damage to the truck, it is not pulling on the bumper but on a set of mounts that are better made than any bumper mounts I have ever seen on any gm truck from that era and most if not all were rated for five hundred tongue and three thousand pull, I am not saying put that much on your trailer but I have and pulled long distance. The only weak point I see on the 1009 is the ten bolt rearend not the gear ratio but the differential itself and back when I was young and dumb I busted one under extreme conditions. You shouldn't be afraid to use one under normal conditions. If you like the 1009 body keep it and look at a twelve or fourteen bolt upgrade down the road, a good idea anyway in my book. Hang in there

CycleJay

Huphalump,

Thank you again, I am glad to hear the M116A2 has brakes, and weighs only 750lbs +/- .
After all, it is the chassis for the M101 series of trailers in the first place.

If I got the M116A2, and later wanted an M101A2 trailer, I would just need to look for an
M101 bed, then bolt it onto the M116 I already have/had.

Also, from what I have learned that the M101 can be made to dump the load in it.

I have done a good bit of studying on the subject of military vehicles, and trailers, etc.

But thank you very much for enlightening me anyway, it is greatly appreciated.

I wish you well, Good night,

CJ

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
It comes down to which you prefer. An m1009 can handle a 416 or an m101a2 in most situations. I would not tow a fully loaded m101 off road through rough terrain, but I have towed a m101a3 with 1000 lbs in it on pavement, and it handled it ok. Either will work just fine for utility use.2cents

TyJustice

Dear CJ do not let a few idiots get you down.

I'm assuming you are referring to Rick & me..Would that be correct?

I also assumed CJ had given the last word on the problem at hand and it was finished(I guess Rick could respond).

Everybody was ok..feeling goood.:D

Then you go and call us idiots? Why be so passive aggressive? Call us out.

:|

ryan77

Tow it with the pintle fully loaded then when it comes off on the highway and kills a family u can say " I wish i listened to the guys on steel soldiers" as u get sued for everything u have !!! But i guess were a bunch of idiots because were safe !!!!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Tow it with the pintle fully loaded then when it comes off on the highway and kills a family u can say " I wish i listened to the guys on steel soldiers" as u get sued for everything u have !!! But i guess were a bunch of idiots because were safe !!!!

I understand everyone is an expert, but has anyone ever actually witnessed with their own eyes a complete hitch failure? Ryan77, you said you've seen it, what was the situation?

CycleJay

Ryan,

Just in case your last post was for me. Here is my answer.
I am listening to you guys.

That is why I would rather stick with an M416, or an M116a2..
But at some point soon, I will be getting a class III or 4 receiver hitch, with a forged pintle.
I have looked into the cost of what I need to do that, and it is not THAT much.

Because I refuse to tow anything unless I can do it safely without tearing anything up.
I do not wish to hurt or kill anyone, so I will do what I can, to prevent that from happening.

That is why in my original post, I was inquiring about an M416.
If it costs more, so be it, I will do what I can to afford it.
Even if I have to start working alot of overtime at work,
and only eat leftovers from work, and save every dollar I can, etc..

Thanks for the advice, I wish you well, Good night,

CJ

Last edited:

K9Vic

I do not know what CycleJay has been saying as he is on my ignore list, other then quoted comments. However Ryan you are 100% correct on doing it right with pulling a M101 trailer. I have a M1009 and have towed two M101A2 back from Hooks to Fort Worth for a total of about 200 miles each time. Before I even went there the first time I installed a Class V hitch and dumped the weak bumper pintle completely. Even thought the M101 was empty, I did not want it breaking away from what was suggested to use a real hitch system. I had to make a panic stop with the M101 and my guess is the weak metal of the bumper may have bent if I was using it. Even with my M416 I would still want to use a receiver hitch setup, just smart towing and worth the $300 spent for the whole setup for peace of mind.

This is not my picture, so I am linking to the photbucket page, but this is what happened to this guy when he was towing a M101 that was too heavy.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/1009pintle.jpg

ryan77

I understand everyone is an expert, but has anyone ever actually witnessed with their own eyes a complete hitch failure? Ryan77, you said you've seen it, what was the situation?

I saw a guy jack knife a generator and rip the whole back off when i was in the air force.

rickf

WOW! they must have a totally different pintle setup on the 1009. The 1008 setup is massive and no way would it do that. The 1008 is not supported by the bumper at all, it just comes through the bumper but the supports are all behind it. I put on a class 4 hitch on mine anyway but I still use the pintle for heavier construction trailers.

Rick

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

As I said, If I tow at all, I will do what I can, to make it as strong as it can be,
so it will be as safe as possible. I refuse to tow anything that is too heavy.

By the way, why am I on an ignore list in the first place? Just wondered.
I know I have not said or done anything to deserve that.
And I would never do that to anyone, just in case they ever have something
important to say.

Thank you to all of you that have been helpful.

Good night, God bless all of you,

CJ

Csm Davis

If anybody thinks the idiots comment was aimed at them then maybe you should look at what you have posted and see if it fits, the post that have merit aren't who that is aimed at but the op asked a general question and people should try to answer with out malice we should try to help a dreamer or doer just the same for it helps the SS site as a whole not just the op, I also would like to see a failed hitch or read about it if pictures don't exist, also the safety chains should stop a failed hitch and also the safety lock up on the surge brakes but if he doesn't want to chance it I understand and won't bash him for his opinion that's his right. We all have a opinion on things and that's fine but don't bash people