• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 cargo trailer for M1009

CycleJay

Hello Csm,

Thank you for the post, and the words of wisdom.
You are exactly right..

I will be needing a trailer in the not too distant future, to empty out my storage unit.
By hauling most of the contents to a local auction house, that may be able to sell
most of whats in it. What they do not take, I will haul to Goodwill.

So when it is properly loaded, the total weight of the payload in the trailer,
should not be close to being dangerously high.
I will not be hauling anything heavy like bricks, blocks, or lumber, etc..

Also, if I can get this done, I will not be driving more than about 10-15 miles one way,
to the auction house, from my storage unit, which is about 2-3 miles away from me.
And the Goodwill is about 1.5 miles from me.

I would be driving less than 35-45 mph on city streets for the entire trip from beginning
to end. Then once that is done, the trailer will be parked, and only used if/when I need it,
which will not be on a regular basis..

I refuse to tow a trailer that itself is too heavy for the M1009, even when empty.
I also will not pull a trailer until I get a receiver hitch and perhaps a tranny cooler first.
And when I get the receiver hitch, I will get a forged pintle for it if I can, since it would be
stronger.

If I tow a trailer at all, I want to do it safely & correctly, or not at all..

But you are right, I was just asking a general information seeking question.
Nothing more, so there is no reason for this thread to have gotten as bad as it did.

Good night, and God bless you,

CJ

ryan77

There are some pics on here of a torn of m1009 pintle! It is different then the m1008, the m1008 is reinforced and made to haul weight. The m1009 has the thin plate it bolts to and a couple of thin strips thats it.

CycleJay

TWA,

I have done some inquiring into a tranny cooler. I know where I am at on that.
That is why I have not asked anyone here about one.

Unless someone here will be nice enough to offer some advice on the subject.

Thank you, Good night, God bless all of you,

CJ

combat32

Thanks for the picture, any information on what the driver was doing?

Just lookin at it with no real info I would guess the driver did something stupid and that caused the failure(like jacknife the trailer).I saw a dude back back a water buff behind a 923 (jacknifed) in deep mud for about 150 yards once.The tounge and hitch finally let go(meanwhile we were all waving at this dude like mad to get him to stop)New driver with no experience and first time pullin a trailer + no ground guide= statement of charges and broke equipment.

Stupid breaks more equipment than anything, a moderate load on a 101 behind a 1009 driven in a sane and safe manner is not gonna break anything.

My friend hauls his M274 in a 101 behind his 1009 and I use a 116 to haul my M274 behind my 1008 when we go out wheelin on the mules.It seems to pull it fine with no issues, but again we are talkin about a driver with 20+ years experience driving military vehicles, if you don't feel comfortable doin it than don't, there has been some good advice in this thread, but you have to make the call.

CycleJay

Combst32,

When you said..."My friend hauls his M274 in a 101 behind his 1009 and I use a 116 to haul my M274 behind my 1008 when we go out wheelin on the mules.It seems to pull it fine with no issues,"

I am wondering, when you guys do that. Are you using the M1009's stock pintle hitch?
Or did you guys install receiver hitches with pintles added on?

Thank you for the post, God bless you,

CJ

combat32

Stock pintle hitch, should have specified that.We do parades together too and he usually hauls one of his 101's behind the 1009, usually empty.But I know he does pull it with moderate loads as well, again safe driving+ experience and not overloading the trailer will be your friend here.I would have no qualms about using a 101 or 101a1(better) behind the 1009, just don't load it up to the top of the rails.:p

As said before here a decent 416 is gonna cost you twice the price of a 101, less bang for the buck.Now if you take the advice given here by others and add a reciver hitch you should have no worries at all.

cucv1833

I know this has been covererd over and over again. I 100% agree that a class III hitch is much better. It is better being safe than sorry But I have no problem hauling my M101A2 around with a few hundred pounds.

M101 curb weight- 1340lb

M1009 specs from Olive Drab
Curb Weight 5200 lbs
Payload 1200 lbs
Towed Load Allowance 3000 lbs
GVW 6400 lbs

CycleJay

Combst32,

Thank you for the reply, and the information.
I would like to be extremely safe as possible, so if it costs me a bit more for an M416,
then so be it, it is better to be safe than sorry, so as to not kill anyone.
And I plan on following the advice here, and get a receiver hitch, with a forged pintle.

The pintle on my M1009, appears to be jammed for some reason (probably rust),
and will NOT swivel, but it does open and close.
I have tried un-jamming it (lots of WD-40, Hammer, and a pry bar...),
but by the time it starts to swivel, my pry bar starts to bend, so I need a stronger pry bar,
before I try again..

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Just keep looking for a cheap m416, there are deals out there. I've got about 550 into mine, which is less an m101a2 would cost me from GL with a long distance recovery. I guess the m416a1 with surge brakes would be even safer, but is more expensive, and probably unnessecary.

My 416 is on the left, on the very right is an m416a1.

Attachments

CycleJay

Evil Dr. Porkchop,

Thank you for the post, and the information.

I will keep my eyes open for an M416, and if I can get one with brakes,
then so much the safer.

nattieleather

Combst32 stated it best for me. The Army may have said the M416 was the trailer to use, but they didn't follow it. I've been in the guard since 1990 and there wasn't a M416 trailer to be had in any of the motorpools I hung around. On many occations we would hook a M101 (a1 and a2 type) trailers up to the M1009 and load them up with gear. Usually everyones gear. And down the road we went. I have owned a M1009 with M416 trailer personally and I can tell you it's a pain to back that tailer up. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't see it my reviews untill it would start to jack knive on me.

It all comes down to what you want. If your set on the M416 then get it and be happy with it. If a M101 comes across your path and the price is right get it and enjoy.

When pulling a trailer if you overload the trailer even a M416 can cause you heartache. If you use good towning practices you should never have a problem.

Good luck with your search I hope you find the perfect trialer for you.

CycleJay

Hello Nattie,

Thank you for the advice.. And the information. I am wise enough to not overload anything.
I have had experience with loading trucks, trailers, etc.. some anyway.

I would like an M416 since it is the trailer that should go with the M1009,
but I do not want to tow anything that would not be safe, and hurt someone.

I have read and learned enough to know how to drive safely, when I get a trailer to tow.

Thank you...

epartsman

Combst32,

Thank you for the reply, and the information.
I would like to be extremely safe as possible, so if it costs me a bit more for an M416,
then so be it, it is better to be safe than sorry, so as to not kill anyone.
And I plan on following the advice here, and get a receiver hitch, with a forged pintle.

The pintle on my M1009, appears to be jammed for some reason (probably rust),
and will NOT swivel, but it does open and close.
I have tried un-jamming it (lots of WD-40, Hammer, and a pry bar...),
but by the time it starts to swivel, my pry bar starts to bend, so I need a stronger pry bar,
before I try again..
Loosen the nut and pump the grease nipple on the bottom full of as much grease as you can get in there working it free with a crow bar then resecuring the nut. I have been towing my m101a2 around with no problems and with loads of over 30 used tires. The class 3 hitch option has a non swivel pintle which puts the trailer actuator in a bind on uneven grades so I am using a swivel pintle from an M1008 that has an extra L bracket in front that the 09 doesnt and I have it tied into the class 3 for extra support but even with just the bumper hitch I did not see or feel any abnormalites towing which would lead to a failure.

CycleJay

Hello Epartsman,

Thank you for the message and the information.
I suppose I will go out and get a grease gun and grease then. No problem.
Do you have a photo or two, showing how you secured your 09 pintle with that "L bracket"?
So perhaps I can do the same thing. Especially after I get a class 3 or 4 hitch.

Thank you,

CycleJay

Wallew,

Thank you for the post, and information.

I like to go by the book, just to be safe, that is why I was asking about an M416.

Thank you,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks