• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51 shelter trailer is up and running!

67Beast

Well I've had the 4a084 motor running good for over a week now, It just been that I have not had much spare time to get the shelter out and inflated. Plus it has been so hot that you just melt in the sun here which just wasn't helping to modivate me to do it. But finally had some time and good weather today and was able to get a couple of buddies to stop by after work to help lift off the verious piece needed to set it all up. It went up fairly easily ecept for the fact that the PO had packed it the wrong direction so we had to flip it around to get hooked up. But everything went up nicely and the entrance way slid right into place and hooked up. I have found one small leak in a front corner that should be fairly easy to patch. It is a little dirty inside the shelter, and the entrance has a lot of dirt and water marks on the walls, but it looks like it sould all clean up easily. While inside I noticed that the main shelter was made 7/79 and the entrance was 2/78 which means they were deffinatly replaced when it was depot overhauled. I took several pictures and will post them tomorrow when I get to work and can download them on high speed.

Reactions: HDN

littlebob

I put mine together and had too many leaks in the entrance, so I threw it away. I only plan on using mine as a tent without the entrance. I got mine running and left it inflated for about a month before I took it down. Mine had an air pressure gauge that was all corroded and I just filled it till it felt taught and then just
plugged the inlet and shut down the engine. From what I can tell from the TM, the system is supposed to be regulated by a dump tube that is on the right lower side when looking at the shelter from the entrance end when the engine is running continously. For the month it was up, I just exercized the engine about every day and reinflated.
Once I figure out the markings I want I want to order the marking stickers for my DEUCE.
I still need to do more work on the cooling/heating after I get the DEUCE done.
Feel to PM me with any questions you think I might be able to answer.
littlebob

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really really want one of those now! Hey Wreckerman, if you get a whole one that works let me know!!!

Good job, that trailer looks like it is in good shape too.

67Beast

Recovry4x4 said:
Love to see some pics of the inside Dave if you get a chance!
Yep, when I downloaded the camera this morning, I went "hum" as I didn't seem to have taken any inside pics last night. Must have been from all the excitement of getting it up.

67Beast

citizensoldier said:
You bringing it to Clare for all of us to check out? That thing looks brand new.. Nice and thanks for sharing. :grd:
Nope, it will not be making the trip to Clare. I don't have enough hitches to get it and the M715 behind the deuce. It will be set up at the Silver Lake show sept 15th. so you'll just have to wait a few more weeks to check it out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That thing is just wicked cool. Have you attemped to light up the A/C? IIRC they are R-12 and the Gov't likes to steal refrigerant from anything it gets rid of. Bet it could be converted to R134. You reckon it's harder to set up than the GP Medium?

67Beast

Recovry4x4 said:
That thing is just wicked cool. Have you attemped to light up the A/C? IIRC they are R-12 and the Gov't likes to steal refrigerant from anything it gets rid of. Bet it could be converted to R134. You reckon it's harder to set up than the GP Medium?
I tried to hit the A/C and the condenser fan does not seem to want to turn. I'm going to pull it off and try and lube it because I'm sure it hasn't spun in over 10 years. It is marked R12 and if it is out or low, I just so happen to have a couple of cans of it that I had been saving for a special ocation.(Just don't tell anyone). It definately takes 4 people for set up because each piece is so heavy to off load from the trailer. Once it's on the ground it's a pice of cake to inflate and set up.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Really really want one of those now! Hey Wreckerman, if you get a whole one that works let me know!!!
Ferro...there are seven still available. If you want one I can bring it to Clintos get together. Still $900.00 unless my guy has upped his price due to the high price of scrap.
No garareete......the engine on mine and Little Bobs ran with very little effort.

I still have the inflatable shelter so if you buy one I'll throw it in and you can have twice as much space. I have the hoses to connect them.

I will be out of the Army by the end of next week so let me know.

littlebob

Dave, if you can get a closeup of the fuseholder and post it her or PM me I would appreciate it. mine is missing and I think wreckerman said all of the ones he had acces to were missing the same part. I was able to get the condenser fan and everything running using a screwdriver in the fuseholder, but stopped when I smellled something funny. My compressor looks like it has leaking seals and looks very simalar to the ones on our mid seventies GM vehicles that we owned in that era.
littlebob

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that fuseholder for 3/8" diameter fuses or 1/4" diameter fuses?

That's really great. I'm happy for ya! Gat that a/c running! BTW -better hose it out, never know what kind of fungusor chemicals may be in the residue..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks