• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m52a2

benni72

hey group, i'm a new member here and finally graduated to a 5 ton today from a couple of 2 1/2's and a M151a1. i'm in search of a couple of parts and just have a few questions.
questions 1: i hear the sprag clutch hissing,or the air cyclinder, when going into reverse, which i think is normal, than i shift into 1st and a few feet of rolling i get a loud bang, feels like its coming from the front axle . i only get 1 bang and then it goes away till i shift into reverse again. any ideas?
question2: the brake pedal is hard as a rock, it does move slightly, truck stops slowly so something is working. what do you think- wheel cyclinders? air pak? or frozen shoes? just need a idea where to start. there's plenty of fluid in the master and all the linkage is free. again any ideas?
thanks for the info and help.
some parts i'm looking for: 5th wheel
wiring harness
front fenders
front bumper
fresh rubber, or close to fresh!
or if you guys have any ideas who's good for this stuff let me know, much rather not deal with TNJ, nothing personal, just takes to long to get stuff from there.
thanks,adam

OSO

Ia'm trying to get down to a guy who is cutting up a bunch of trucks . The county is coming down on him. I hope to get there right after Easter 4/8/07. Hope my plan goes as through in the time line as planned. OSO

acetomatoco

There should be a distinctive hiss-clunk when your sprag shifts from forward to reverse.. there should be no prolonged air noise... You sprag may be lazy... A hard brake pedal is an indication of either back pressure from the airpak... or Master Cyl blockage... Have you cracked a wheel bleeder with someone holding the pedal down? Have you bled the air pak? ETC... ACE

acetomatoco

All the old time dealers in the northeast are gone... Schwartz, Brightman, Sarafan, Tunick Bros, Mott Haven, Supreme and the list goes on.... used to be able to go to those places and get a truckload of parts for nada.... ACE

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If yours is a multifuel. Tactical Truck here on SS sold me a NOS front wiring harness for my M52A2. It worked perfect. Im still looking for a rear harness. As far as the fifth wheel goes. You can try boyce equipment. Out in utah. They have alot of parts trucks in the back. OR find out if sombody it going down to the hammonds. There are a couple of 52's out in the weeds there.
On the brakes, my gut says check the airpak. If it's stopping slowly with a hard pedal then the booster prolly isn't working and you are stopping by foot strength.
Got any pics? And welcome aboard!

Boatcarpenter

Hey ACE, I remember Schwartzy when he was down in what was known as Bolton Station. Used to go over with my old man and pick up axles and stuff for the old Jeep when I'd bust 'em cruising the woods when I was 10 or 12!!
BC

benni72

Thanks guy's,
yeah thats what i thought about the brakes, air pak. i'll post some pics soon, just started tearing down the truck. planing on removing the cab and all. found some rebuild tags today, 1988. not to bad i figured the motor was original. no sergeant major i'm not in the truck club, just a private collector. thanks for the welcome and i'll post some pics soon.

No.2Diesel

Wunderbar!! Much nicer than my Deuce. Is there a "correct" color for the wheels? I like them green but have seen black as well.

Benni, have you seen the 5Ton dump sitting on Sound Ave. Might be good for parts but it's been there for years and the owner also runs the golf course and wants a million bucks for it.

Well if you want to show off your truck(s), come to the Hallock Farm ATHS-LIAPA show July 7-8. Its free.

benni72

thanks guy's
yes wheels are wrong color, should be black. i did a frame off resto on it about 6 yrs ago. i just keep it in the garage so it stays nice and pretty. pics were taken 2weeks ago after a bath. has about 250hrs on the motor since rebuild. i tried to keep everything correct, except wheels, i wasn't paying attention to the camo guide and just figured that they were green. pics of my new 5 ton and m151 will be up tonight.

benni72

here's my m151a1, just about done. all new panels,motor,trans. all done to original factory spec. fresh from my assembly line. also some pics of my 5 ton. just started resto, cab is off as of today, going down to bare bones on this one. check out my side pipe and my cold air induction kit. hope you enjoy pics and again thanks for all the great comments. adam

Attachments